Assassin's Creed is Officially Running on Fumes

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Assassin's Creed is Officially Running on Fumes

There are only so many times audiences will be interested in watching a stock cheeky bad boy reconquering a historical city from moustache-twirling Templars because of a vague personal motivation.

Read Full Article

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Also, can we get a bit more exotic again? U.S., France, England, c'mon. Let's have some Shanghai or Angkor Wat or something.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Pyrian said:
Also, can we get a bit more exotic again? U.S., France, England, c'mon. Let's have some Shanghai or Angkor Wat or something.
Yeah, anyone else have the feeling the first ASCreed wouldn't be made today because it was a little too exotic with it's background? We have all of History to work with here and yet I get the feeling we're going to be going someplace even more familiar for the next game.

Can we just cut this down to one game every two years? Give the series a chance to catch it's breath before it goes Rockband on us?

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
the same kinds of people who insist that every single PC game right down to the indie retro platformers must run at 60 FPS
Shots fired. At someone in particular, I suspect.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
The last Assassin's Creed with actual Assassin's Creedy gameplay that I appreciated was number 2
What a coincidence, this is also the last Assassin's Creed game that I think is good, since it was actually about assassinating people and not a sandbox collectathon with the story just being your character being Forrest Gump to history.

Even then I think Assassin's Creed 1 is the best game in the series, given it was actually about planning, executing, and escaping from assassinations, rather than following the minimap.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I feel vindicated for dropping out at part 2.25.
But really, that was when part 2.5 came out. And 2.75. Annnnd... yeah, you get it.

Seriously, go BACK to assassinating solo, unseen. It was what drew people to part 1, which I played to nearly 1000 gamerscore since it was just great.

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
Yahtzee said:
So here's a thought: why don't you make an Assassin's Creed that isn't a sandbox game? The current model isn't working, let's tack to the other side of the wind and see if things move any quicker. A linear story, with some string-of-pearls open-endedness to the missions a la Hitman: Blood Money and the like, but ultimately very firmly gated. It'd mean being able to have a story that isn't manacled to the obligation to let the player return to the same sandbox after every event; the state of the game world could actually permanently change in significant ways. Ditch all this nonsense we've accrued relating to management and collectibles and token historical side missions and isolate your problem by stripping things down to the wires. Focus on one thing and make the best damn parkour-assassination gameplay you can.
...so basically, you want Ubisoft to make Dishonored?

Jan 12, 2012
And surely the point of Assassin's Creed has always been to incentivise indirect combat, clean kills and clean escapes, and I've been playing them on the assumption that the direct combat is deliberately kind of shitty and boring for precisely that reason.
The thing is, I can't remember the last time I played an Assassin's Creed game and actually got to experience a clean assassination.

It seems like the game wants to drive you into fighting lots of guys because it's 'dramatic', but it's incredibly easy to just kill them. I am terrible at most fighting in games that is not simple button mashing, but in AC I never felt the need to be stealthy to gain an advantage; if I got spotted, so be it, I'll just kill the 20 guys who run up and form a nice circle around me, then go back to the main target.

Also, were the screenshots from Assassin's Creed: Rogue on purpose?

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
The stealth also needs to be better. We need to be able to stick to walls like in Human Revolution. Awkwardly walking between glowing spots isn't enough.

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm still waiting for Assassin's Creed: You're A Samurai Now.
You're kidding right? Hero ninjas vs evil Samurais was a narrative made for this series: stealthy peasants against well armoured dogmatic aristocrats. Similarly, I'm still baffled why Egypt hasn't shown up, Ancient or otherwise. Until the series lets you leap of faith off of the Sphinx's nose as it crumbles away, it still hasn't done enough.

Contrarily, I gain a small amount of morbid satisfaction with each new "eh"ntry to the series. I adored 2 and even loved Brotherhood, but it was with the latter that they announced that it would become a yearly thing and I promptly never bought another one. The things I loved most was the sheer depth of the historical research and the clever twisting they applied to make it fit an appropriately fun narrative. And while I still loved Brotherhood, my thinking going into it was that it came from unused AC2 research - making it exactly the booster shot we wanted. After that, I expected the series to be jumping from period to period with revamped gameplay, aesthetics and a whole lot of new history... but there was no way they could achieve any of that, least of all the latter, in only a year. I predicted to myself, way back when, that each new entry would show signs of less research, meaning the more popular icons would overtake the plot and the gameplay would stagnate. 'Lo and behold, with the history devolving into the depth of a museum children's tour of England, France and America, I feel I was right.

Granted Black Flag threw me through a loop and almost broke me, but with every "not as good" game to come out, I feel pathetically slightly prouder that I held to my little protest.

Ubisoft, drop the yearly releases. THAT'S what crippled the franchise. It was fine when they were crappy little portable games but turning this series yearly is what ultimately stopped it from being the monumental juggernaut we all expected it to be.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
Am I the only one wondering why Yahtzee was using pictures from AC Rogue? Is he regretting that he never ZP'd it?

OT: I don't agree with the idea that Syndicate isn't much better than Unity- it didn't have a Face Glitch to my knowledge. The characters were likeable, the plot didn't feel forced (It's not a good sign in a game about Assassins when the love story is the best written part of the game), and it had a lot of gameplay improvements I liked- no multiplayer, the token "Collect pieces of eden to get the Super Special Armour," hand to hand combat that works...

I guess I'm just too hooked on AC to get out, if only because I do like the Modern Day Arc and want to see how it ends.

Still want an Assassin's Creed Cowboy game though.

2HF

May 24, 2011
Mindless and repetitive gameplay is what I come to Ass Creed for. I adored the first game for the same reason so many hated it, it was a lot of repetition. I enjoy mindless repetitive tasks to kinda shut the brain down and just do. I'm loving the hell out of all the side missions. I play them all as Evie (I hope Ubisoft grows a pair and makes one of these with just the female protagonist, maybe if they're tracking gameplay and enough people prefer her they will). When I want something more involved mentally I've got tons of other games to choose from. Ass Creed is my brain number and that's the way I like it.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Pyrian said:
AC2 teased assassins in ancient Egypt and Babylon. Just a thought....

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Pyrian said:
Replace Generic White Man as the player character? What kind of depth are you expecting?