Assassin's Creed IV Actor Matt Ryan Cast as John Constantine

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Assassin's Creed IV Actor Matt Ryan Cast as John Constantine

Constantine, the upcoming NBC series based on the DC Comics character, will star Matt Ryan as the cynical occult detective.

greenlit the pilot [http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/matt-ryan-nbc-dc-constantine/] in January. No other cast members have been announced. Ryan is known for his role on Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior and as the voice of Edward Kenway in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag.

Deadline describes NBC's John Constantine as "a working-class Londoner with rakish good looks, scruffy blond hair, deadpan humor, and signature trench coat, who has been studying the dark arts since he was a teenager." This description is much closer to Constantine's appearance in the Hellblazer and Constantine comic books than the 2005 film starring Keanu Reeves. Constantine first appeared in Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, and later got his own title in DC's Vertigo line. In 2012, Constantine joined DC's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120570-John-Constantine-Joins-DCs-New-52-Roster>The New 52 roster. Notably missing from the NBC description is Constantine's chain-smoking habit, which fans have speculated would not make it into the television adaptation.

David S. Goyer, who wrote Man of Steel, will serve as executive producer for Constantine, and co-wrote the pilot with Daniel Cerone. Cerone's credits include writing for The Mentalist and Dexter. Goyer has written several DC adaptations for film, including co-writing credits on The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, and the upcoming Batman vs. Superman.

DC's Arrow television series has been successful, and DC is looking to expand its television presence. Afterall, DC has Marvel's Agents of Shield and upcoming in development [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129408-Disney-Netflix-Team-Up-To-Bring-Marvels-Flawed-Heroes-To-Life] with Fox.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/matt-ryan-nbc-dc-constantine/]

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Out of all the sudden flux of comics stuff this actually looks the most interesting by far.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I will not judge the guy without seeing how he does but for the love of god can NBC PLEASE keep David S. Goyer a minimum of 500 miles away from the show, preferably without access to a phone or the internet to ensure he has no imput in any way or form.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
That's kind of awesome. I hope the show will be good. I don't know much about the comic book character. I only know what I've seen from that movie with Keanu Reeves. I admit I liked that movie.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
For the love of all that is unholy (see what I did there?) don't let the new Constantine be another dark-haired American... I admit I liked the Keanu Reeves rendition, but he wasn't much faithful to the comics.
Although a similar criticism could be leveraged at Arrow, a show I love, I think modifying the character's back-story and downright changing everything about him that made him iconic are very different things.
Still, I'm glad DC is getting a bigger TV presence. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has been very disappointing for Marvel's live-action TV debut.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
Are they at least going to pronounce his name right this time around? The removal of his smoking is a bit of a downer, but I suppose I'd live.

Nov 28, 2007
Adam Locking said:
Are they at least going to pronounce his name right this time around? The removal of his smoking is a bit of a downer, but I suppose I'd live.
How is it supposed to be pronounced? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely interested. My only contact with that character was the movie, and I'm not all that great with British/Irish name pronunciations (it took me forever to figure out how to pronounce Siobhan).

OT: Might be good, might be bad. I'm leaning towards "all right", due to the channel it's on, but I've been surprised before. Plus, he looks a lot more like the comic version than Keanu Reeves did, albeit being quite a bit younger.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
What you lot on about, he's too young? He's only 32. Constantine was only 35 at the start of the hellblazer books. He's one of the only comic book characters who actually aged through out his run. And as for pronunciation of his name, you can pronounce it 2 ways (constantEEn or constantIne), both are fine as it's Latin not English. At lease he's going to be English. Now accent is going to be something. I could never remember if it's supposed to be London or scouse really. I have a mix of both in my head.

Wraith

Oct 11, 2011
I like this, but I am dreading the impending fangirl flood. We all know that cute/handsome guy plus mysterious monsters/ mystical powers equals rabid teenage female obsession.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
thebobmaster said:
How is it supposed to be pronounced? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely interested. My only contact with that character was the movie, and I'm not all that great with British/Irish name pronunciations (it took me forever to figure out how to pronounce Siobhan).
"Tyne" as opposed to "Teen". It an American vs British pronunciation, and as he's English, he goes with the former.

There was once a comics site somewhere that explained it (complete with a panel of John correcting an American character on the pronunciation) but I can't seem to find it anymore :(

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Adam Locking said:
thebobmaster said:
"Tyne" as opposed to "Teen". It an American vs British pronunciation, and as he's English, he goes with the former.

There was once a comics site somewhere that explained it (complete with a panel of John correcting an American character on the pronunciation) but I can't seem to find it anymore :(
Ta-da!

Gizmo1990 said:
I will not judge the guy without seeing how he does but for the love of god can NBC PLEASE keep David S. Goyer a minimum of 500 miles away from the show, preferably without access to a phone or the internet to ensure he has no imput in any way or form.
Just out of morbid interest, what exactly is the problem with this Goyer dude?

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Hero in a half shell said:
Adam Locking said:
thebobmaster said:

Ta-da!

Gizmo1990 said:
Just out of morbid interest, what exactly is the problem with this Goyer dude?
Go on Wikipedia and look at what the guy has done. For evry good thing he has done such as Batman Begins and The Dark Knight (Which I personaly I consider to be good at best) he has done stuff equaly as crap such as Jumper, Blade Trinity and Man of Steel.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Wraith said:
I like this, but I am dreading the impending fangirl flood. We all know that cute/handsome guy plus mysterious monsters/ mystical powers equals rabid teenage female obsession.
Hehe. Indeed this will be a problem we are helpless to do all but avoid.

Definately will check this out as i have been waiting for some continuation since Frank Capello's film.

Although to be honest, it sounds like the bandwagon for shows of superhero movie spin offs is being well and truly crushed to the ground. Whatever pays the bills, eh? (and coke habits)

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
I saw this quite by accident when I was looking up "Constantine" on Wikipedia after (coincidentally) watching the Keanu Reeves movie on cable last night.

Ryan seems like a good choice. I enjoyed his voice acting in "Assassin's Creed IV". He gave Kenway a selfish and cynical yet heroic and moralistic tinge.

Just the right mix of traits for "Constantine".

And as others have pointed out, at least he's British this time.

Here's hoping...

Stein Inge

Jun 9, 2009
I don't know...
It would have to be a younger, more innocent, less of a bastard, Constantine than in the comics.
That is not the face of one who once (spoilered for those yet to enjoy the comics).
- Tricked the Devil into drinking holy water, before cutting him with a broken wine bottle, to save a friend from hell.
- Cut off the archangel Gabriels wings with a chainsaw.
- Fuelled his magic by the emotional energy of christmas by digging up the corpse of st. Nicolaus and snorting his powdered bones.

The list goes on...

I just don't see that face doing those things, and I need to believe that the Constantine in the tv-show is at leat capable of doing these things or else he wouldn't be Constantine.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
llagrok said:
Let this monstrous fetus die before it's born.
Funny, that's what they said about John!

OT: Seeing is believing. I've read alot of Hellblazer. If it turns out to be a crafty blonde British magician who oftentimes finds situations spiraling swiftly out of control and people dying before he can put a lid on it, then it just might turn out to be a good show.

Fingers crossed.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Ryan?s John Constantine is a ?master of the occult? who?s haunted by his past but finds himself suddenly called upon to defend humanity from the gathering forces of darkness
Well, it took all of a sentence from NBC to show they don't grasp the character, and want to make him a generic superhero type. To borrow from my dungeons and dragons lore, is it just too hard to grasp that Constantine is neutral moreso then good? He wants humans to do their own thing, he's not some chosen one on the side of heaven fighting hell (or whatever "darkness").