Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. Good or Bad?

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Nah I get my pirate fill from my One Piece addiction. Unless the protagonist is more compelling than this lovable scamp:

and at least as badass as this guy:

and to top it off I'm so sick of AC after the crushing medicrity and unfocused nature of the 3rd entry that the protagonist could be Edward Newgate himself and I would gives no shit.

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
I'm actually excited, one of my main problems with AC3 was that the free running didn't feel like the previous installments, American cities were just too far spread out.But with Black Flag we'll be able to go to those pirate bays that were like towns just stacked on top of each other.

They'll probably improve on the naval fighting and we'll get better, and hopefully more common, boarding action options.

We probably should have seen this coming since they had a lot of Caribbean and South American textures that weren't being used a lot, though they were mostly jungle trees and fauna, but I bet we'll get an amazing Mayan or Aztec level, instead of those short weapon grab levels that they released.

Mar 20, 2010
Naval missions were amazing in AC3, my only gripe about them were how sudden they begun and ended. This is a good news for me. Don't care about parkour and climbing. Just let me sail. mm Yes Please.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
Could work......if they drop the assassins thing....There's only so many important people you can assassinate on a ship and in port towns.

Maybe call it pirates creed?

The balance between Pirate and Assassin seems kinda off is what I'm trying to say.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
My opinion is... there will be pirates. Cuz that's literally the only info we have. Though I'm surprised to see so many people enjoyed the naval missions in AC3.

El Danny

Dec 7, 2008
This is good news, a 'pirate' AC would be my second choice behind a Napoleonic setting. Please give this game more interesting characters then just the main villain though, that was my main grip with AC III.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
Dude, do you know the last pirate game I played?

Monkey Island.

The first Monkey Island.

We need a good pirate game :D
Then why you didn't played the others games? Just saying.

HeavenSmile

Apr 7, 2011
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, huh. At this rate, I can't wait for Valve to release Left 4 Dead 3: Bad Brains

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
No idea. The premise is interesting and has some promise I guess. However this will be the fifth Assassins Creed game in five years (more if you count handheld games) and I think over exposure is starting to wear down the series. But then we haven't had a decent pirate game in years, so I hope for Black Flag to at least breath some new life into the series and pirate themed games.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Terminate421 said:
It has potential to work. It sounds however that they are going to be relying entirely on the Naval battles they introduced in AC: III
This is my largest concern.

Now don't get me wrong I loved the ship combat, but an entire game of nothing but them would get old really fast. Plus the game is called ASSASSINS Creed not Pirate Creed. I miss the first and second game in which you would actually assassinate people and not just kill 5000+ guards and occasionally assassinate a guy. I think AC3 only had what 4 assassinations total.

Ascarus

Feb 5, 2010
Terminate421 said:
It has potential to work. It sounds however that they are going to be relying entirely on the Naval battles they introduced in AC: III
they stumbled upon a new mechanic that many seemed to like (i was not one of them) and they have decided to run with it. it is way too early to say anything definitive about this game, but if they don't have a more compelling main character in the next one (and one who is less of a douche) i will likely shelve this series.

edit (added): i would also prefer they go back to the main character being an assassin and not a jack of all trades. at the rate ubisoft is shoehorning my character into every profession imaginable, i wouldn't be surprised to find my assassin in command of the starship enterprise.

edit (part 2): from gamespot.com
Ubisoft also released the game's box art for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii U and PC platforms, showing the game's new protagonist, rumored to be privateer Edward Kenway, grandfather of Assassin's Creed III star Connor.
emphasis mine. so we are going back in time (relative to connor) in the next one? that seems strange given the series history of moving forward through time through demond's ancestors. side note: i also wonder who they are going to shove in the animus since they, ya know ...
killed off desmond
in AC3

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Well, all we have is the premise, so it's a bit premature to be making judgements. I'm curious to see how it'll work wihtout the animus.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Ascarus said:
i also wonder who they are going to shove in the animus since they, ya know ...
killed off desmond
in AC3
We always have
Desmonds pappy, and current Assassin Mentor William Miles, who at least has a personality...An unlikeable one true, but better than Desmond.

OT: It's a good thing. A very good thing. I love pirates, and I love like Assassins Creed. Imagine going in to scrape the ship with another, giving the control over to the First Mate, climbing up the mast, jumping over and air assassinating someone on the other ship.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
torno said:
While I LOVE Assassin's Creed to death, it just feels... I don't know, early, doesn't it?
Don't get me wrong, I don't find it as a bad thing, just unexpected, you know?
I have Ubisoft as a liked page on my Facebook, and the announcement for it popped up about fifteen minutes ago when I logged on. I just kinda stared at the picture. Then at the uploader. Then at the picture again.

I was thinking...is this fanart? What is this. This can't be a new game. Why is there a 'IV' when that looks so much like Connor? I don't understand what's happening.

Zeke63

Jul 10, 2012
Will be bad, 3 was bad, brothehood was bland, 2 was passible, one was snooze. Really the novelty of setting i think is all that holds this franchise up, cause the gameplay is so repetitive, vapid, and stagnant

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
AS someone who's love for Assassin's Creed has only grown with each subsequent title, and who absolutely adores pirates... yes. Just yes. I am ready for this to exist. Hurry it up Ubisoft!

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
Ugh. Since all AC games were immensely fun to me, I know that this one will be as well, but I really hoped they will take a break and introduce a new compelling story, new protagonists (unrelated to the existing ones), new time periods and all. To me, it looks like a complete waste of a potential new trilogy to put the game in a virtually the same period, with a character related to three characters we played (how's that going to work anyway? We solved Desmond's story, why do we need to go back to Connor's grandpa, what could he possibly tell us that would be relevant to any of the stories?) and to base the game completely around a game mechanic from AC3. I admit, naval battles were awesome, but I don't need a whole new game based solely on that. And besides, you can put naval battles literally in any point in history.

AC4 should've been, to me, a perfect starting point for a new direction, new characters, new story, new time period, and hopefully returning to the thing that named the whole franchise; assassin's creed, instead of spending a bulk of the game doing stuff like buying shops and delivering mail.

But I can't condemn a game before we know hardly anything about it. So I'll hope for the best. Since I like AC games, I guess this one will be okay as well, but dammit, I wanted it to be more than just okay.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
I'm one of the few people who actually cares about Desmond's story and role in the series, so I just want to know if they're even going to attempt to continue from the shitty ending of 3, or-if this is Conner's grandfather as Forbes says-if Ubisoft is just saying "Fuck the plot" and making a badass pirate game.

If this is Conner's grandfather, I fucking hope he's nothing like that whiny, self-centered grandson of his. Conner was such a step down from Ezio, and even Altair. I would like a character with substance, not just out for vengeance for a village of people that we all know historically will be a pointless battle in the end.

I would really like to see some tropical locales to explore. They could add a full diving/swimming mechanic to give some new life to the series. Add in some marine life. Dive into underwater cavern systems where buried treasure is hidden, could be 4's version of the Assassin chambers from AC2.

And killing sharks with the Hidden Blade.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Beliyal said:
Ugh. Since all AC games were immensely fun to me, I know that this one will be as well, but I really hoped they will take a break and introduce a new compelling story, new protagonists (unrelated to the existing ones), new time periods and all. To me, it looks like a complete waste of a potential new trilogy to put the game in a virtually the same period, with a character related to three characters we played (how's that going to work anyway? We solved Desmond's story, why do we need to go back to Connor's grandpa, what could he possibly tell us that would be relevant to any of the stories?)
I was thinking that if they were continuing the main story of Desmond that perhaps Grandpappy may have found some way of defeating Juno/The Gods, as Juno has basically taken over the world as of the end of III.

If so, probably a message left in advance for him. If they saw so far ahead into the future, who is to say Minerva did not in some way manage to leave a message for Grandpappy to help Desmond stop Juno?