Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Review - Pirate this Game!

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Review - Pirate this Game!

Ubisoft took the best parts of AC3 and made a badass pirate game.

Read Full Article

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
How is the performance on current-gen consoles? Because I know AC3 didn't exactly hold 30 fps at all times...

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Now we must joke about how a franchise based around assassins has turned out to be one of the best games about pirates in the last few years.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Doomsdaylee said:
I'm quite curious how the Multiplayer is, as I ADORE AC:R for it's multiplayer.
Revelations multiplayer was brilliant, ACIII not so much... but maybe that had something to do with all the 10 year olds running around screaming "I'm an assassin!"

OT Lovely review Greg, can't wait to finish work, get home, and go all pirate!

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Deshara said:
I would joke about it if I weren't busy crying because the pirate game is the reason we're not getting more assassin game ):
Well, to be honest the AC series really hasn't been about assassinating since Brotherhood (arguably ACII). I've sort of given up being disappointed by that and just embraced the spectacle.

OT: Nice to hear Black Flag seems to be living up to the hype. Will probably pick this up when it comes to PC.

Epic_Bubble

Oct 19, 2013
Its weird, I find the multiplayer style of AC series to be one of its best selling points. Its a different take on the simple run and gun deathmatches that are populating the multiplayer aspect of games.

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
5 stars?
[sarcasm] So it's as good as Dragon Age 2?
[/sarcasm]

I got this game midnight launch, been up for hours playing it now. Amaaaaaaazing game, can't wait to finish it!
Just a few bugs here and there but otherwise holy crap it's so open world it's ridiculous.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
damn, i still have to wait for the pc version. i just hope i will have a chance to to play it because im about to move away and wont have any time to connect my pc to the net.
at least good to hear its good and fun to play.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
Deshara said:
gigastar said:
Now we must joke about how a franchise based around assassins has turned out to be one of the best games about pirates in the last few years.
I would joke about it if I weren't busy crying because the pirate game is the reason we're not getting more assassin game ):
Indeed. Its been breaking me heart to see each successive AC game include less and less actually assassinating. After I absolutely hated ACIII, I wasn't even planning on getting this game. Haven't been following it at all. This review is making me reconsider: its not really the next Assassins Creed game, but it might be a pirate game worth playing.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hm, wasn't expecting this game to be so well reviewed. Sadly I be short on doubloons...ok sorry, I'm a little short on cash right now and I'm saving what I have for some other games right now, so I'll probably get this after a price drop.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I don't care if it's moving even further away from the formula of the original. As far as I'm concerned, if you're still playing as a dude in a white hood killing Templars, then it's still an Assassin's Creed game; and in all honesty, where is it written that assassins HAVE to be stealthy. The original Hashasin weren't. They killed their targets bloodily, in public and in broad daylight while hopped up on drugs.

The only thing that I'm concerned about is whether this game is better made than its predecessor. AC3 was a damp squib because it was a buggy, unfocussed mess, rushed out of about 7 different Ubisoft studios around the world all trying to communicate working on one game. If this game is bug-free, with less guff and with what guff there is at least being more fun to play, then I'm in.

Oh, and a protagonist (modern or historic) that isn't less likeable than a wet shit would be great too.

bandit0802

Dec 24, 2008
I'll be picking this up with my PS4, and I'm now even more excited! I know it seems to be more about pirating than assassinating, but at least there are assassination contracts, which AC3 didn't even have! And I'm pretty sure those have been lacking for a while. I used to air-kill random guards just to say I did some assassinating. Nov 15 can't get here fast enough!

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
So, sounds like a definite improvement over AC3. Might check it out. I kinda lost interest in the series after vanilla AC2, so this might be a good chance to get back into it...

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Goodbye Assassin, Hello Pirate!
might be the first AC game to ever interest me.
This, I did not see coming.

But just look at this pic and say you don't want:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/gallery/view/35/10696/1850.4

yunabomb

Nov 29, 2011
I'd actually love to see a commercial for ACIV display "'Pirate this game!' -The Escapist" when it shows review quotes.