Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Review - Pirate this Game!

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
I do like the look of this one because pirates. But I couldn't stick with Revelations and skipped 3 so I'm not sure it's worth getting this after missing a chunk of the story.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Is that really the headline you're going for? Knowing the place's reputation for anti-piracy, you're going with that?

Well alright then.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Mcoffey said:
Awesome! I'm glad it's good. I think I'll pick it up on Steam right n-

What? It's not out on PC yet? Ubisoft delayed the PC version by another month? For no discernible reason?

Snarkiness aside, I always did like Sid Miers Pirates, so I guess that, plus a decent story and combat, is fine by me. I'll probably pick this up eventually.
Well, at least it's coming out on PC. I haven't played AC since the first one, but this one sounds interesting. Might wait until it's on sale, but I do love me some open world sea roaming.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
hazabaza1 said:
Is that really the headline you're going for? Knowing the place's reputation for anti-piracy, you're going with that?

Well alright then.
Anyone else on the forum saying "pirate this game" would be hit with punishment by the mods, joking or otherwise.

Seems rather unfair.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
hazabaza1 said:

Well alright then.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steal_This_Book

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
NpPro93 said:
Deshara said:
gigastar said:
Now we must joke about how a franchise based around assassins has turned out to be one of the best games about pirates in the last few years.
I would joke about it if I weren't busy crying because the pirate game is the reason we're not getting more assassin game ):
Indeed. Its been breaking me heart to see each successive AC game include less and less actually assassinating. After I absolutely hated ACIII, I wasn't even planning on getting this game. Haven't been following it at all. This review is making me reconsider: its not really the next Assassins Creed game, but it might be a pirate game worth playing.
That's more or less my feeling, but they've instilled a bit more confidence on me with all the vids [propaganda] showcasing a return to stealth. While the game isn't anything like AC1, if you ignore the fact that has the AC name on it I can't really see a reason to to dislike the game.

As far as assassinating, I always felt that AC1 actually didn't have a lot of it. I spent most of that game stuck on a horse trying to get into the cities, but even once in there were only 9 real kill targets in the game, no more (probably less) than others. The AC2+s definitely felt the best in that regard, and then 3 went off doing its thing (I liked it, but it didn't hold me as well). Ubisoft has a tendency to overcompensate and then pull back some, so after 3 I am actually inclined to believe their claims for Black Flag.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Greg Tito said:
hazabaza1 said:

Well alright then.
Going by that article it seems like the author gave the book that name because it was an anti-consumerist product encouraging people to actually steal the book rather than it just being a nice sounding name. It also seems to go against basically any other law concerning theft and drug use, which I'm sure isn't what you're going for.

Also that's a low content post Greg, thought you'd know better :p

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
By thunder, I be just in the process o' swingin' into a pirate-y mood recently. I'll be makin' sure to be pickin' this here title up on me next voyage into port.

...yeah I don't think I'd make a good pirate anyway. But, cool that the game doesn't suck!

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Greg Tito said:
hazabaza1 said:

Well alright then.
Going by that article it seems like the author gave the book that name because it was an anti-consumerist product encouraging people to actually steal the book rather than it just being a nice sounding name. It also seems to go against basically any other law concerning theft and drug use, which I'm sure isn't what you're going for.

Also that's a low content post Greg, thought you'd know better :p
How about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steal_This_Album!

They used the title on this one as a bit of a flip-off to the people who leaked the original unfinished version of the album.

I also don't think the header for the review was a good idea, but it's not a big deal, as the review does not actually advocate stealing the game.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
So is it worth buying on PS3/360, or should we wait for the next-gen consoles?

No matter how bad Black Flags story can get, I highly doubt they can be as bad as that one bullshit optional objective in ACIII.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
IIInnnnnnnnteresting to say the least. I had not been interested in this newest installment after losing interest in #3 a few hours in. The pirating looks amazing though.

Question, does this game still have the awful immersion-breaking 'current-time' parts all the previous games had? I just loathe the Animus, why can't I just enjoy the well-crafted current setting?!

Overall, I really hope they made the navel battles possible through multiplayer, and definitely looks like a game I might pick up after x-mas.

Schmeiser

Nov 21, 2011
Well you got me, i never liked the AC games, haven't played a single one. But it seems this is more of a great pirate game in ac3 clothes and my god i've been waiting for a good pirate game. So yea im grabbing this one fo sho

InfinityX

Jul 14, 2013
Hmmm, wasn't thinking of picking this up seeing how bad ACIII was, but now im intersted. maybe if it goes on sale I'll pick it up.

Only thing that really concerns me from the review was that "Combat is the same as the others". So stealth isn't as important again? sounds like you can counter-spam everyone and not worry about stealth, or is there enemy units that you WANT to hide from, that would be a step in the right direction.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Never been interested in the AC series, but Sid Meier's Pirates updated and in 3d with real fighting instead of what's basically a QTE dueling system?

Yeah, I'm probably going to have to pick this up if/when it comes to PC.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
BloodRed Pixel said:
Goodbye Assassin, Hello Pirate!
might be the first AC game to ever interest me.
This, I did not see coming.

But just look at this pic and say you don't want:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/gallery/view/35/10696/1850.4
Meh, I'd prefer if the sharks had lasers attached to their foreheads.

OT: Looks good, might pick it up at Christmas. When it's on sale on Steam. Cos I'm cheap.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Question. [small]Already answered down below.[/small]

I haven't been interested in the series thus far (as in, I've never played a single AC game, ever), but AC IV does look quite interesting indeed. Do I need to keep up with previous' games events to understand what's going on?, I ask, because I've heard the story got a little convoluted and I fear for being left in the dark if I ever want to play this one.

MXRom

Jan 10, 2013
SupahGamuh said:
Question.

I haven't been interested in the series thus far (as in, I've never played a single AC game, ever), but AC IV does look quite interesting indeed. Do I need to keep up with previous' games events to understand what's going on?, I ask, because I've heard the story got a little convoluted and I fear for being left in the dark if I ever want to play this one.
Basically you use technology to relive the lives of assassins in the past. Anything else is so many peanuts they'll provide with exposition, lots of exposition. But all you need to know for this game is 'You are a pirate!'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
I had fallen out with the AC story because the meta-plot was getting cumbersome, imo. Knowing that Desmond Miles has been ditched has done more to sell me on this than any number of swearing pirates.