Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Review - Pirate this Game!

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
I know that headline was an easy joke, but I personally don't see it appropriate for The Escapist.
To each his own I guess.

Is this game worth playing even if didn't play the other games of the series?

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I would have thought a valid con would be how unfitting the name is.

Assassin's Creed. I wouldn't say being a pirate is being an assassin.
The only thing it has to do with Assassination is the storyline from the previous games and your character being exceptional at melee combat.

It's like setting an Assassin's Creed game in the context of a third person shooter.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
MXRom said:
SupahGamuh said:
Question.

I haven't been interested in the series thus far (as in, I've never played a single AC game, ever), but AC IV does look quite interesting indeed. Do I need to keep up with previous' games events to understand what's going on?, I ask, because I've heard the story got a little convoluted and I fear for being left in the dark if I ever want to play this one.
Basically you use technology to relive the lives of assassins in the past. Anything else is so many peanuts they'll provide with exposition, lots of exposition. But all you need to know for this game is 'You are a pirate!'

[small]Fixed for ya.[/small]

LOL, I didn't knew the origin of that song! xD

Thanks for the info!.

Aug 1, 2010
Story said:
I know that headline was an easy joke, but I personally don't see it appropriate for The Escapist.
I agree here. The tend to be incredibly draconian when people so much as mention piracy in forums.

OT:
GOD DAMMIT, I DON'T NEED MORE OF A BACKLOG.

I have so many games I need to play, but I have such a weak spot for pirate games.

Also I want to hunt whales because it makes me happy that somewhere in the world, I'm making a PETA employee cry.

ChorltontheDragon

Oct 28, 2013
I must admit it took me a while to get into AC3 and at times I found it a frustrating game. But I received AC4:BF today and although I have only been playing it a couple of hours, I love it already (the sunny Caribbean helps). And Edward - I'm really liking him! You wouldn't think him and Connor were related.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Okay cool the game nailed the feel of being a pirate, but one thing I didn't really see mentioned in either reviews was the assassin aspect. How is the stealth and assassinating handled this time? Better than 3? or is it just as this review implies insignificant and mostly absent?

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Well I might just have to give the AC series another go at some point. I lost interest half way through Revelations and ACIII did nothing to really hook me back in. I shall check Black Flag out when the winds of the steam sales are favorable :p

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
~ Gonna wait for the inevitable winter sale price drop ~

~ Been waiting for a worthy pirate successor to Sid Meiers, this looks like a contender ~

~ Also haven't played an Assassin's Creed since 2, so the gameplay will be fresh ~

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
So you... do what you want 'cause a pirate is free?...
Sorry I just couldn't resist.

OT: This one's definitely getting picked up, but I already knew I was going to, as I've been buying the Assassin's Creed games every year at release, AC3 was such a disappointment to me that I almost gave up on the franchise, but if 4 truly is the leaps and bounds of improvement it's being built up as, then this series might have hope yet!

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
DarkhoIlow said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Does anybody know if Uplay is needed?
It's one of the key Ubisoft's franchises. It's most certainly going to need Uplay.
Well they just lost at least one sale. This DRM easily loses more sales than it saves.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Greg Tito said:
hazabaza1 said:
Is that really the headline you're going for? Knowing the place's reputation for anti-piracy, you're going with that?

Well alright then.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steal_This_Book

For that link alone I think I love you Greg Tito.

But I'm not in love with you.

(however I did flag your post for low content :) )

OT: A good open world pirate game? Sign me up. I'm thinking it might be my first purchase for my PS4 come Christmas...

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Wait, a good Assassin's Creed game? As if in, one that's good all the way through instead of balancing good stuff and not-so-good stuff? And it's all about pirates? As if in, goes out of the way to be the best pirate game possible? With Assassin's Creed gameplay?

Sold, I am.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I have to say, this game is fantastic, and beautiful, even on the 360.

Just got the Jackdaw and i'm loving it, ii doubt i'll be fast travelling much

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
So what are people's opinions on the new protagonist? Is he as terrible as Connor or have they actually made a slightly likable character this time?

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Greg Tito said:
hazabaza1 said:
Is that really the headline you're going for? Knowing the place's reputation for anti-piracy, you're going with that?

Well alright then.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steal_This_Book
I'm really tempted to flag this as low content post
I think that would be kinda funny
But on the other hand people often say that I have strange sense of humor :/

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Might be kinda off topic, but has anyone played the bonus hour content on the PS3 version? I'm curious about what it is, and any thoughts on it. I didn't see it covered in the review.