Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Review - Pirate this Game!

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
FizzyIzze said:
The generalisation doesn't really do it justice, though.

Basically, in the AC world, humans as a species were uplifted from our common-ancestor-with-ape species for the purpose of being a docile, controlable workforce for this ultra-advanced race of humanoid-like people simply called "the ones that came before" (OTCB's). They had names like Minerva, Juno, Jupiter, Apollo, etc implying that all of Man's religions were based on one of more of these figures (in AC3, the derelict OTCB base that the present day characters (Desmond Miles, etc) were in had a flatbread bread-producing functionality, similar to that of Manna found in the old testament. Sean Hastings, one of the modern Assassins theorised that the remaining OCTB's used this machine to help the Israeli nation through the wilderness after their escape from Egypt).

Eventually, the humans rebelled because of some sort of genetic mutation allowing certain humans to break free from the mind control technology (pieces of eden) of the OTCB's, and thus incite a rebellion (care to guess the names of the two main ring-leaders of the rebellion? Clue, it's one man and one woman), and eventually a full scale war. As luck would have it, Desmond Miles and his lineage have this genetic mutation in them, making them impervious to the pieces of eden. As the war raged on, the OTCB's were majoritatively wiped out when the sun sent a huge solar flare towards earth, [a href="http://d38zt8ehae1tnt.cloudfront.net/Knowing__End_of_the_World_Better_Quality__115351.jpg?v=1371671949"]scorching the entire planet[/a]. About 10,000 humans remained, and only a couple OCTB's, whom eventually died out in physical form, but who's minds remain in some of their remaining technology scattered throughout Earth. Humanity eventually recovered and history happened.

The order of Assassins (who are for freedom of thought and mind at the potential cost of order/peace) was formed to fight the Templars (who are for order and control at the expense of freedom). The fight revolves around the remaining pieces of eden, with the Templars hoping to use them to instigate world wide mind control over the people of Earth for the sake of order. The Assassins are trying to stop them, to preserve freedom.

However, the sun is getting ready to release another solar flare, threatening to wipe out life on Earth once again. And so the modern Assassins (Desmond Miles and crew) are desperately trying to find the machine that the OCTB's created to protect Earth from the solar flare (but didn't activate due to internal conflicts between Minerva and Juno). At the end of AC3, they finally manage to activate the machine, saving Earth (and killing Desmond, thankfully, he was obnoxious). But this activation also "released" Juno, one of the OCTB's who is kind of evil. With her incarceration ended, she intends to "conquer" earth and get things back to how they used to be (with humanity as a servile species).

The bit anonymity88 was referring to was the end of AC2, when Ezio Auditore, arguably the best Assassin character to date, finds a secret OTCB base underneath the Vatican (yes, really), but needs to defeat the current Pope in order to enter into it. The Pope was a Templar that had in his posession a piece of eden that physically empowered him somewhat. The fight descended to bare hands, where Ezio eventually defeated the Templar Pope, and used the piece of eden to access the OTCB base. There, it was either Juno or Minerva that delivered a message through Ezio to Desmond (since the OTCB's predicted the invention of the Animus, and so used Desmond's ancestors as vectors of messages to him through time).

Suspension of disbelief is a massive must for the series, but it's definitely engrossing.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
shrekfan246 said:
Yeah, he's not joking. And then the end of Assassin's Creed III
is a completely out-of-character moment from Desmond that results in him willingly releasing the pseudo-alien-god who holds all of the ideals the Templars championed (you know, the guys you just spent five games fighting the entire time) and effectively bringing about the end of the world. Or something. It kinda just ends with the world undergoing the whole "2012" disaster thing.
"Out of character", are you serious? The Assassin's fight for freedom for all, and by [spoilers] releasing Juno he gives the human race the chance of keeping that ideology. Had he allowed the world to be started anew his teachings would eventually be perverted. He was dealt the choice of a shit sandwich with the hope of the shit being chocolate, and a gleaming red apple that unfortunately holds a highly diseased worm inside, and he chose the outcome that would allow all people to keep their own personal beliefs and strive for freedom, as is the Assassin's intent.[/spoiler]

There were some major flaws in AC III, but that was not one of them (Well, the ending was pretty dissapointing, but he wasn't acting out of character).

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
bug_of_war said:
Snip

There were some major flaws in AC III, but that was not one of them (Well, the ending was pretty dissapointing, but he wasn't acting out of character).
1. Your spoiler is borked (it's not [spoilers]).

Juno enslaves the human race. Or at least, that's what is implied as being the price to pay for her 'saving' humanity. Desmond knows this is what Juno is going to do if he releases her, and does it anyway. Out of character may not necessarily be the best way to put it, but it does at least directly go against the entire philosophy the player has been effectively fighting for across the five games leading up to that ending. Sure, it can just be turned into yet another cliffhanger for them to pick up later as some 'poignant' metaphor about how humans are always striving for more, but it was supposed to be the end of Desmond's arc, and it all culminating in his making the human race basically need to start fighting an even greater power than the Templar's for freedom is monumentally stupid.

The ending would've been stupid either way, but "allowing the chance to continue the ideology of constantly fighting an endless losing fight for freedom" isn't the choice I would've made in that situation, for better or worse.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
shrekfan246 said:
1. Your spoiler is borked (it's not [spoilers]).

Juno enslaves the human race. Or at least, that's what is implied as being the price to pay for her 'saving' humanity. Desmond knows this is what Juno is going to do if he releases her, and does it anyway. Out of character may not necessarily be the best way to put it, but it does at least directly go against the entire philosophy the player has been effectively fighting for across the five games leading up to that ending. Sure, it can just be turned into yet another cliffhanger for them to pick up later as some 'poignant' metaphor about how humans are always striving for more, but it was supposed to be the end of Desmond's arc, and it all culminating in his making the human race basically need to start fighting an even greater power than the Templar's for freedom is monumentally stupid.

The ending would've been stupid either way, but "allowing the chance to continue the ideology of constantly fighting an endless losing fight for freedom" isn't the choice I would've made in that situation, for better or worse.
Spoiler borked...oops.

Anyways, (I'll try spoilers again)
Juno will attempt to enslave the human race, but there are people in the world whom are able to withstand the effects of the First Civilization's technology. Also, most of their technology has been scattered, missing or plain old destroyed, so she first has to find the technology before she can begin her enslavement. However, even if she finds a piece of eden such as the apples she would still be unable to globally enslave the entire planet as the apple is not powerful enough. So, we're given the choice of giving humanity a chance to fight a powerful being whom has come back into the world unequipped with her enslavement technology.

As for why the other choice is worse, remember the statement, "We work in the dark, to serve the light"? Because that is basically the major thing about the Assassin's, even Achilles told Connor the assassin's work quietly. If Desmond had let the world be wiped clean, and then go on to teach EVERY survivor the Assassin ways, the Assassin's would become the Templars. The whole point of the Assassin's is that it's a group that has members that aren't members, it's an idea that all can posses and that all can follow without having to be taught the creed.

I agree, both endings are poor, but the choice does not go against the story that we've been following. Also, Black Flag addresses what happens with Juno quite well so have a look at it, be it borrowed or new it's definitely worth a play.

Carpenter

Jul 4, 2012
So Escapist is now censoring posts that don't even make the claim but simply imply that they may be taking money for better reviews.

Look I don't believe it, I was there for the "duke nukem" themed site, but when the site tries to shut people up for simply implying it, you give credence to the claims.

If escapist staff is so offended by these claims, either dispute them or learn to get a thicker skin if you choose to read the forums, don't just shut everyone up that makes a claim you disagree with.

Carpenter

Jul 4, 2012
FizzyIzze said:
anonymity88 said:
FizzyIzze said:
The end of ACII was my nope moment, about the time they were saying that essentially Aliens did it, and then I had a fist fight with the pope. Ugh.
Holy crap. Please tell me you're not being serious. I mean, I know you're generalizing but is that really the gist of the ending?
Are you kidding? That just sold me on AC2.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Carpenter said:
FizzyIzze said:
anonymity88 said:
FizzyIzze said:
The end of ACII was my nope moment, about the time they were saying that essentially Aliens did it, and then I had a fist fight with the pope. Ugh.
Holy crap. Please tell me you're not being serious. I mean, I know you're generalizing but is that really the gist of the ending?
Something tells me you're a fan of Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy :p

Carpenter

Jul 4, 2012
FizzyIzze said:
Carpenter said:
FizzyIzze said:
anonymity88 said:
FizzyIzze said:
Something tells me you're a fan of Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy :p
Then that something is a liar.
I was a fan of it's opening, wasn't a fan of everything else.

But cmon, really? Are we at the point where making a story a bit fantastic or out there is a bad thing? It's not like the first AC was grounded in reality, it was grounded in conspiracy theory and "aliens" is not totally out of left field but honestly where I thought AC was going. Punching the pope is just icing.

Personally, I don't think the "fantastic elements" is what ruined indigo prophecy, it's the fact that we were lied to at every turn. Your choices did not affect the story in any big way, it just changed some lines of dialog.

This trend thing is so strange. People complain about games like GTA 4 and MW being "too realistic" (they are hardly realistic but that's another conversation) yet those same people seem to hate when a game introduces some out there story concepts in a way that connects it to a reality similar to ours.

I have to think a person that believes we are the only life in the universe is a bit closed minded, I also think there's plenty of valid evidence to support the theory that our species was affected by otherworldly or unseen forces, so I like when video games or movies explore those concepts in interesting ways.

To me, that's way more fun and interesting than just making every single game involving aliens a silly nonsensefest like saints row 4 or something that takes place in some star wars/star trek ripoff universe like Mass Effect. I love when a video games plays with the ideas of perception (suda 51 games are great at that when you realize that every game has you seeing the world the way the main character sees the world) or some less than popular philosophical ideas.

Take the original Deus ex (not the suspiciously cleaned up reboot) as an example. The thing that took it to that cult status was the fact that it was brutally honest and hard edged. I understand not agreeing with the views it presents but you can't deny that whoever crafted that story had a passion for what they were doing. They had nothing to gain by putting in information about real life power groups but the people involved clearly felt that they needed to share this worldview through the game.

That's what I want in movies, games, books, and music. Passion. I'm sick of entertainment for the sake of entertainment. It's like the difference between Johnny Cash and Elvis. Hey people love Elvis and I'm fine with that but I just can't conceive of why anybody would sit there and listen to some fat druggy singing a basic love story or "party" story that you have heard a million times before, I want art that presents a worldview I may disagree with or may not have considered before.

That's why MGS 2 was my favorite metal gear game (although I loved and completely consumed the others too) because before then I had never heard of or even considered the idea of some hidden control system. I was a kid that had never heard conspiracy theories or the singularity theory. It completely changed the way I saw the world and got me to consider the idea that everything I saw on tv, heard on the radio, or experienced in games might be there to influence my behavior or thoughts in some way.

That was just one game, and not even the favorite of the series for most people. I think that says something about the capability of gaming, and so much of that potential is wasted on "shoot terrorists" or "stab history people" and the saddest part is that whenever a company strays from those "safe places" it's the audience that scares them back in line. In a way, the masses are the patriots, we are the control system keeping new ideas out of society and keeping artists in line, not some men in suits in a bunker or some computer program that went self aware.

EDIT: I also need to say that MGS2 also got me to consider the idea that the world around me is, in a sense, illusion. I was a kid, I had never really thought about senses and the way our brains craft reality, but seeing it presented in that game really forced me to consider the real life implications of it.
I think anytime a person is made to be self aware and think about their own flaws of perception is a good thing.

M920CAIN

May 24, 2011
SacremPyrobolum said:
You know, pirates are also pretty despicable people. I'm surprised this got a 5/5.

(Yeah, cheap shots!)
Hardiharhar yo ho ho and a bottle of rum for that one.. off the plank with ya you scurvy yellow belly. This be a freemans world. Now dig me a whole for me digital plunder. And no Xes mark the spot you hear! we'll have none of that cliche piratin'.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
M920CAIN said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
You know, pirates are also pretty despicable people. I'm surprised this got a 5/5.

(Yeah, cheap shots!)
Hardiharhar yo ho ho and a bottle of rum for that one.. off the plank with ya you scurvy yellow belly. This be a freemans world. Now dig me a whole for me digital plunder. And no Xes mark the spot you hear! we'll have none of that cliche piratin'.
That shouldn't have made me giggle as much as it did. It's a shame the in game "cheat" that makes the main character talk only in pirate cliches stops you from saving. I realise they're trying to tell a serious story, but it just makes me chuckle any time he says anything. I imagine the guy responsible for coding it in was under orders to put it in, but was resentful of that fact, and thus didn't let you save it.

I do like the fact that the in game money is Reeals(R) though, because saying I've got 12000 Arghhs! never stops being entertaining. And it's a slight easier on the vocals than the Ackhahcks from Revelations.

On topic: My only real complaint with the game thus far is they made countering even easier. Yes that's right, even easier. Now enemies still only attack you one at a time, very slowly, but they also have a huge glowing red mark over their head when they attack. That shit's justifiable in fast paced games like Batman or Metal Gear rising, where you're fighting a shit ton of enemies that dogpile you and can have lots of enemies attacking at once, but not in a slow paced combat game like AC.

I mean /that/ has always been the main complaint with the combat system, it's too easy, and countering is overpowered bullshit, why on earth would they make it easier?

gavinmcinns

Aug 23, 2013
And here I thought the game was a tedious exercise in pointlessness, repetitive grind through copy pasted islands. Even though the combat is brain numbingly easy (for lack of a better word, easy suggests that it is possible to fail), as is admitted by this Tito character, the game is nonetheless perfect?

Oh look, another ass creed pop up, one minute while I close that.. And, no, didn't want to click it, that close box is awfully small.. Ok got it.

Now where was I? Oh yes, this game is fucking boring.

gavinmcinns

Aug 23, 2013
FizzyIzze said:
God, am I the only one who wishes they had kept that stupid Animus out of the game entirely? To me, there's nothing wrong with making a game about specific periods in time, threaded together in an historical sense, pirates assassins through time, etc. I have issues with games like these, games in which one thing about the story just stands out as stupid or ridiculous. It happened with Infamous, the scene with

your "girlfriend" hanging above certain death on one building and eight strangers hanging from a different building. Choose to save your girlfriend and the eight strangers die, choose the strangers and your girl dies. Turns out that no matter which choice you made, your girlfriend dies; it's a lose/lose situation. And the bad guy of the story tells you it's selfish to want to save someone you love versus saving more people, in addition to you receiving some 'evil' points or whatever that stupid karma system was. Fuck that shit. There's nothing wrong with doing what's right for you. Saving the people you love is not evil. That plot point in Infamous could have been written by a junior high student thinking they were being "deep".

The Animus of Assassin's Creed feels much the same. It feels so unnecessary, and kept me from finishing the first AC believe it or not, and effectively turned me off of the rest in the series.
wow you nailed it, that kind of plot point belongs in mrs. Calnedar's 6th grade creative writing portion. It's sad that game developers are particularly bad at admitting their shortcomings, if they were more humble then they would spend some of that ass creed/ cod/ money to hire some competent writers, but as thing are going right now, we have a generation of kids playing utter drivel thinking that they are deep and interesting as they are. And they will he the ones making infamous 8 and ass 17 and cod 40 googleplex. Watchdogs 4: the watchdogging

gavinmcinns

Aug 23, 2013
anonymity88 said:
FizzyIzze said:
God, am I the only one who wishes they had kept that stupid Animus out of the game entirely? To me, there's nothing wrong with making a game about specific periods in time, threaded together in an historical sense, pirates assassins through time, etc. I have issues with games like these, games in which one thing about the story just stands out as stupid or ridiculous. It happened with Infamous, the scene with

your "girlfriend" hanging above certain death on one building and eight strangers hanging from a different building. Choose to save your girlfriend and the eight strangers die, choose the strangers and your girl dies. Turns out that no matter which choice you made, your girlfriend dies; it's a lose/lose situation. And the bad guy of the story tells you it's selfish to want to save someone you love versus saving more people, in addition to you receiving some 'evil' points or whatever that stupid karma system was. Fuck that shit. There's nothing wrong with doing what's right for you. Saving the people you love is not evil. That plot point in Infamous could have been written by a junior high student thinking they were being "deep".

The Animus of Assassin's Creed feels much the same. It feels so unnecessary, and kept me from finishing the first AC believe it or not, and effectively turned me off of the rest in the series.
wow that sounds legendarily bad. Aliens. The pope. Are you sure you're not talking about taint row the 4th?

Oh hey thanks escapist, for forcing me to type corporate propaganda to male sure I'm a human being. How does that even make sense? This is what selling out is. Enjoy your husk of an existence.

Sharonturn123

Mar 22, 2014
I haven't played the SID-s pirates but pillage and plundering on the high seas in this game is really fun