Assassin's Creed IV Delivers 13 Minutes Of Gameplay Footage

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Wintermute said:
Well, I hope the crew going crazy when the main character boards the ship won't be happening every time you're on the ship. Otherwise that will get annoying very fast.

*Jumps into the sea to punch a shark*
*Returns to the boat*
*YEAHHHHHHHHHHH HOLY SHIT CAPTAIN FUCK YEAH!!!*

I have to admit it, though, that the game looks good. I'm a fan of the Ass Creed games, especially I and II. But it's been getting worse since Brotherhood, and with AC III being the worst so far, I was ready to move on to different things. I hope this time around the finished product is actually good (right, AC III?).
Pretty sure it's just a pirate version of pee-ka-boo

"OMG WHERE'D THE CAPTAIN GO?"
"HEY LOOK THERE HE IS HOLY SHIT YEEEEEAHHHH EDWARD WOO-- Wait, where'd he go?"
"OHMEGERDTHEREHEISWOOOOOO"

think about it

OT:
I want this game...

>_> Pirate bias. But as others said, the sailing thing looks a bit like Boat and Naval seven: Caribbean drift. I hope that it feels smooth in the game so we can overlook it. I doubt that I would actually want 100% realistic boat movement, because it's, well... A bit slow to start.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Looks good, but as I'm watching it I can't help thinking "wtf does any of this crap have to do with the overarching plot?"

I will not play AC3, and so far I haven't bothered to get the gist of it because I had assumed the series to have crossed the unmitigated crap line and not be worth keeping up on.

So for AC4 to entice me with Tenchu meets Wind Waker I gotta wonder if the out of animus plot even matters anymore. I mean it was a cool framing device in the original game, but now I've stopped caring.

We get it the sun is going to flash fry the planet unless we can....collect stuff created by people who already got fried by the sun.

And around 6 games later nothing has happened.

It would be like if they made a dozen Eternal Darkness games and never got around to Alex doing ANYTHING but getting caught up on all the backstory by sitting down to read the book at the start of each game.

Of course if "millions" of people are still tuning in to watch "Under the Dome" when not a fucking thing of interest has happened since the dome came, I guess people will put up with all kinds of boring plot filler as long as you make them believe that eventually it will pay off.

Hopefully AC4 will actually have a beginning, middle, and end. I'm sick of half the plot being shuffled off to the extraneous tie in comic, book, webseries, animated short, puppet show, smoke signals, and every other object that Ubisoft deems I need to own that ISN'T the fucking game they just spent millions of dollars to produce.

They are almost as bad as Deadspace. If you want to know just wtf is going on in those games you have to do your homework, rather than actually play the games.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
I don't like Edward's walking animation. The stiff arms are really off-putting.

EDIT: What?! It's a valid criticism.

A Weakgeek

Feb 3, 2011
Assasins Creed 4. Its what? The 6th in the series?

I liked Assasins Creed 2, not enough to want to play it again, yet alone 4 times. But yeah, if the fans like it then its all good. I just hope they go the way of madden and start naming them Assasins Creed 2014, 2015 and so on, so us bystanders can keep up easier.

Reynaert

Jan 30, 2011
Well, at least the water looks good. It was awefully busy in those seas.
I might get this one but I'll wait for the reviews to see if it's worth it.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
even when im not very pleased with ubi and there money grabbing way to make a franchise out of every game, this looks really good and im eager to have it. for sure will not cancel my pre order.
i still enjoyed part 3 even when it was not as good as part 2 or brotherhood or revelations but still good.

Luke3184

Jun 4, 2011
KoudelkaMorgan said:
Looks good, but as I'm watching it I can't help thinking "wtf does any of this crap have to do with the overarching plot?"

We get it the sun is going to flash fry the planet unless we can....collect stuff created by people who already got fried by the sun.

And around 6 games later nothing has happened.
I'd suggest actually playing AC3/google-ing the plot before making a generalized statement like that....

OT: It's looking fantastic and even if it does cut back on Assassin-y elements I'm complete cool with playing a pirate game because, you know, mother fucking pirates!

Deviluk

Jul 1, 2009
synobal said:
The little things bother me. Sailing, is wayyy to easy. I get they need to speed it up because hey we got stuff to do but Sailing isn't driving, the navel combat is equally bad in my opinion.

Also the spy glass shows you what the ships are carrying? That seems way to easy. They should have that either be a surprise or if you want to know you should be allowed to like steal that sort of information from the port the ships sailed from. Then you could use the spy glass to see the ships name and thus know what sort of cargo it's carrying from the stolen manifest.

The Mayan ruin bothers me as well. A huge ship pulls up to the island and drops anchor (which it apparently doesn't do it just stops and sits there) and no one on the island even notices the big ship so you can sneaks about. What ever happened to like sneaking in under the cover of night, and using a row boat to make shore while your ship is parked around a bend in the island and out of sight.

It looks fun but there doesn't seem to be any depth, it looks easy to play but not difficult to master. There is no depth for people who like to be good at a game.

The sailing in Sid Meier's Pirates looks more complex than this game.
I agree, especially since I've been playing FTL, I really want there to be more strategy in the ship battles. Crewmembers get better over time, upgrades to fit you're play style (he did mention that), ambushes, accepting resources in exchange for enemies' lives.

I am going to wait for the reviews. The ship management thing is really cool but it still looks like AC3. If they still have those 'bonus objectives' that force you to complete missions in certain ways I'll rent it at best.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Hmm. Color me interested. I really had not interest in this game, but apparently these are the guys who made Far Cry 3.

If you can fix the bullshit stealth that plagued the last game, actually give people leniency to how the want to approach the main targets in the game, and not have them all killed off in cutscenes for fuck's sake, I may just go out and buy this game. But that's still a maybe. I'm relatively surprised with what I've seen, but the sad fact remains that this series hasn't actually been able to live up to it's title since 2. Make the assassinations worth while.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
As someone who's given up on the series after AC2 I've got to say this game starts to look absolutely brilliant. Like a combination of the good mechanics of AC2 combined with the awesome nautical gameplay of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.

Seriously considering preordering this game and I never preorder anything. On the other hand since the special edition doesn't have particularly exciting stuff like, for example, Saints Row IV I might as well wait for the release and get it after some reviews.

Pepsik

Aug 30, 2011
This really does look like Sid Meier's Pirates just add assassinations, but that's probably 'cause that's how you make a good pirate game.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
This was a pleasant surprise. The one tiny nitpick I've got is that having the crew cheer at you for walking back onto the ship makes me think they're related to the moronic villagers in Fable. That's it, though.

Naval combat looks good.
Open world looks good.
Freerunny stuff looks good.

I haven't played much of any AC game since the first one, but this has my interest. Shame it isn't coming to PC, really.

Wintermute said:
Well, I hope the crew going crazy when the main character boards the ship won't be happening every time you're on the ship. Otherwise that will get annoying very fast.

*Jumps into the sea to punch a shark*
*Returns to the boat*
*YEAHHHHHHHHHHH HOLY SHIT CAPTAIN FUCK YEAH!!!*
To be fair, I think I'd totally cheer for someone with the balls to punch a shark.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I'm not going to lie, this actually does look pretty cool. Now I kinda want to be a pirate.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
erttheking said:
I'm not going to lie, this actually does look pretty cool. Now I kinda want to be a pirate.
Sid Meier's Pirates might help to wet your appetite, before this one comes out; it was a pretty popular free roaming pirate game from back in the days, that was recently remade.
Dr. Wiki can tell you more [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier%27s_Pirates!_%282004_video_game%29]
synobal said:
Phrozenflame500 said:
Naval combat, people, not navel. The alternative leaves disturbing images in my mind D:<

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Not having "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" as one of those pirate club songs would be a crime against humanity.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
CkretAznMan said:
Not having "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" as one of those pirate club songs would be a crime against humanity.
Rather, row row, fight the power.

Totally a period-piece. Just so much rich, historic background.

The sea... is power...

The rowing... is rowing...

Man against nature, HUMAN CONDITION UNDERTONES.

FINESSE.

I need sleep.