Assassin's Creed IV is an Hour Longer on PlayStation 3

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Assassin's Creed IV is an Hour Longer on PlayStation 3

PlayStation gamers get more murder for their money with Assassin's Creed IV.

Today brought first official confirmation of the next Assassin's Creed title. Called Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, the game is decidedly pirate themed. If you're an aspiring swashbuckler and just can't wait to explore the sea, you'll be interested to hear that the game won't be the same on Xbox 360, PC, and Wii U as it is on PlayStation 3. It seems that gamers with Sony's console will be privy to an extra hour of content.

The news was revealed when Ubisoft released the official box art for the upcoming action title. The PS3 version of the cover is emblazoned with a notice that the game boasts additional, console-exclusive content.

No word yet on exact what the bonus content will contain, whether it be added missions or a short bonus mode, but with the full reveal of the game coming on Monday, we shouldn't have to wait long to get the details.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I favor the PS3, and even I think this is a stupid idea. Are they even watching sales? If our store is a fair representation, AC3 on XBox 360 outsold AC3 on the PS3 by a massive margin even with the extra stuff they included with that one. Why keep doing the same?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Oh, please. Like the 'Hidden Secrets' DLC they said was around an hours content, which turned out to be around twenty minutes?

I am more concerned by the fact the last game was a buggy mess, and yet they are still releasing them yearly.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I will laugh really hard if this turns out to be marketing lingo for an additional hour of load times.

P.S. Thanks

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Covarr said:
I will laugh really hard if this turns out to be marketing lingo for an additional hour of load times.

P.S. Thanks
My thoughts exactly. A mandatory 60 minute loading screen on boot up, such value! Maybe an hour long scene where your character plays on a virtual PS3?

It could also just be on-disc dlc that will eventually go to the other platforms at a premium, because just having dlc is too normal these days. I remember the good old days when you bought a game and got a game, took it home and played that game. 'Tis no more.

Lazy

Aug 12, 2012
After ACIII I was wondering how they could make the assassin robes look even more ridiculous in the next installment. Thankfully, it seems they've managed just fine.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Oh, this game is coming out on our current gen consoles - for some reason I thought this was going to be a next gen title.

I actually miss waiting a few years for an AC game to come out. At least I actually had time to get excited for Assassins Creed 2.

Maybe they have just reduced the movement speed of the main character just enough that it will take you an hour longer to get around the game world. There's your extra hour of content right there!

Captcha: what should you call me

I could think of plenty of things, none of them flattering. Also, you forgot the question mark and to capitalise the "w" in what. Extremely poor work. 2/10.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
*sigh*
I would almost be willing to get a warning for low-content for that. It pretty much sums up my reaction. But, in all honestly, this is just silly. The extra hour cannot be anything super substantial. I don't even know what the extra content was for ACIII on the PlayStation 3, because all I played was the story missions. I didn't care about the other stuff. Money is on this being more or less the same thing.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
meh, they'll sell the additional content on xbox and wiiu as dlc a few months later anyway

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I love how the Outfit has a hidden blade but has 2 god damn guns just strapped to the front of the torso.

PS3 Fanboy here, but I don't like companies showing favourtism like this, It should be on Xbox and PC too.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
It's on the PS3 not the PS4?

Humm don't seem to make sense to me but hey ho!

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
putowtin said:
It's on the PS3 not the PS4?

Humm don't seem to make sense to me but hey ho!
I think it makes sense. I believe it would be foolish to have the next game only available on the PS4 because the PS3 is still going to be the stronger market for the time being. You could have an amazing game the blows everyone's minds, but for a lot of people that still isn't going to justify the expense of buying a new console right out of the gate. What I'm surprised about is that they didn't say that it will ALSO be on the PS4, like what they're doing with Diablo III.

Anyway, if this extra hour is like those stupid Benedict Arnold missions for AC III, then it's nothing to get excited about. At. All.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
That's annoying. I have all the previous main games in the series for 360 and if I want to get the extra content it will mean that this game won't match the others.

revjay

Everybody's dead, Dave.
Nov 19, 2007
Since it's titled "Black Flag" does that mean Henry Rollins will have a cameo somewhere in the game? He could be a really angry boss fight that's not happy about politics.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
On the plus side the Xbox owners have to put up with an hour less of tedious faffing about. But seriously platform exclusive content on multi-platform games is never cool. You should really treat all your customers equally regardless of the platform they chose to use your product on.

revjay said:
Since it's titled "Black Flag" does that mean Henry Rollins will have a cameo somewhere in the game? He could be a really angry boss fight that's not happy about politics.
I think he'd certainly rise above this kind of console exclusivity :p

TecnoMonkey

Jul 2, 2012
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I favor the PS3, and even I think this is a stupid idea. Are they even watching sales? If our store is a fair representation, AC3 on XBox 360 outsold AC3 on the PS3 by a massive margin even with the extra stuff they included with that one. Why keep doing the same?
Actually the PS3 version of ACIII outsold the 360 version by around 60 thousand copies. Not surprising given the fact that Ubisoft has always been pro PlayStation.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
In this age of DLC there is no such thing as exclusive content... only delayed content.

Vault Citizen said:
That's annoying. I have all the previous main games in the series for 360 and if I want to get the extra content it will mean that this game won't match the others.
Ooo this! I have Dead Space 1 and 3 on the Xbox 360 but Dead Space 2 on PS3... the very fact that they don't line up on my shelf bugs me to no end!

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Eh who gives a fuck. If it doesn't involve the pirate ship I do not care.

I will be buying the game based solely on the reviews of the ship combat. If it sucks to bad, no awesome pirate game. If it's awesome then well... I know which missions I will be replaying rather than chasing fucking almanac pages.