Assassin's Creed: Origins Announced, Has an $800 Legendary Edition

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Assassin's Creed: Origins Announced, Has an $800 Legendary Edition

There's a new assassin's Creed on the way, and Ubisoft has an $800 Legendary Collector's Edition to sell you.

Ubisoft has been teasing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170375-Ubisoft-Announces-Far-Cry-5-The-Crew-2-Teases-Assassins-Creed-Reveal] the next Assassin's Creed game, and during its E3 presser earlier this week, we finally got a look at Assassin's Creed Origins. As has been rumored for a while, the game is set in ancient Egypt around 49 B.C. Ubisoft has offered up both a cinematic trailer and another that shows off gameplay.

As you can see, Origins will apparently show off the beginnings of the Brotherhood of Assassins. As Bayek, an Egyptian sheriff and warrior, you'll be able to use your pet eagle as a scouting drone. You can tag enemies and plan your attacks. You probably also noticed that there's a loot system in the game. Each weapon you find has stats, and you can equip the best ones in your inventory screen.

Finally, you won't have to climb towers to unlocks areas. After all, you've got an eagle to do all that for you, right?

But just in case you thought this new Assassin's Creed was casting off all of the trappings of the series, there's this to consider. The game will launch with seven different editions, including a ludicrously priced $800 "Dawn of the Creed" Legendary Edition. That edition includes a 28.7 inch-tall statue, and eagle amulet, and more. It's also limited to 200 units in the US.

If that's a little steep for your wallet, there's the "Dawn of the Creed" Collector's Edition ($160), the God's Collectors Edition ($120), the Gold Steelbook Edition ($110), the Gold Edition ($100), the Deluxe Edition ($70), and of course, the Standard Edition ($60). Each contains a variety of physical and / or in-game goodies. You can find them all over on the game's official site [http://store.ubi.com/us/assassins-creed--origins/592450934e0165f46c8b456a.html?edition=Standard].

Assassin's Creed: Origins is coming to PC, PS4, and Xbox One on October 27, 2017.

Nov 28, 2007
7 freaking editions? I guess all Ubisoft games now need to come in enough editions that you need a spreadsheet or chart just to figure out what content you can get with what.

As for what they've said about the game, it sounds like they are determined to add in a loot system I don't recall anyone asking for, and remove an element of exploration that, as far as I'm aware, no one complained about. Par for the course for "Oh, Ubisoft!"

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
The more I see of this game the worse it gets.

I watched combat gameplay in the colosseum they showed off in the trailer, and maaannnn it looked bad. It was like Dark Souls/The Witcher except shit.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
<youtube=psw1NAFwAvw>

I mean, just look at it. It could possibly the dude playing, but it genuinely looks clunky and the gameplay they showed off at E3 didn't look much better.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Ive seen a few people starting to call it assassins greed and i see why.. $800 USD? yeah its like they arent even pretending anymore

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Just when I thought that the game looks cool enough to get, they kill my enthusiasm with another abysmal business model. From hyped to bargain bin in a span of two days. Impressive feat, Ubisoft.

Major_Tom said:
No thanks, I'll take the $8 Steam Summer Sale Edition.
Yup!

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I'm happy to see that Ubisoft still requires you to have a spreadsheet on what each edition does, and in which region it's available in.

I mean, I will get the game at some point, but that's just ridiculous.

If I wanted the statue that badly I can just wait a while to get it on the cheap on ebay.

Voxoid

Nov 28, 2013
When did Ubi$oft decide that their garbage was worth so much?
Hopefully the poor souls who actually purchase the $800 collectors kit get a working product..

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I'm pretty sure we will be getting a Oh Ubisoft from Jim about this.
What the fuck are they smoking? Something extremely strong.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
The game itself doesn't look too bad. The RPG elements (leveling, looting, etc...)could work. I'll probably check out the Standard Edition.

As for the other SIX editions, hope Ubisoft is ready to lose money! Even die hard fans of the series aren't going to shell out $100 much less $800 for these no matter how much bullshit swag the is included.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
But the $800 version comes with "Bayek's eagle skull amulet in resin".... resin!!!!

(I want it in platinum for that f@*king price!)

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
OK, the special editions are pricey sure.
But i wouldn't buy it if $80, so never mind $800.

What grinds my gear most is the last sentence in the trailer "pre order now and get the bonus mission"
I really hoped we were passed that type of BS.

For the gameplay video, graphics looks good and the scout eagle seems to work well (but does reminds me of the owl from far cry primal)
My biggest complaint would be the action slow mo. (for example the leaping bow shot from the tree)
And for the kill cam shot, a bit cheesy but ok.
I personally liked the dying monologe from the first one, it really gave some dept to the characters.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Bob_McMillan said:
<youtube=psw1NAFwAvw>

I mean, just look at it. It could possibly the dude playing, but it genuinely looks clunky and the gameplay they showed off at E3 didn't look much better.
It actually looks like For Honor, minus the stamina system that would eventually force one guy to stop dodging or stop blocking. I wonder what gameplay they took from Steep to throw in this now.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
If I had that much spare cash and that much materialistic desire for pointless objects, I would've gotten that chess set made from orphaned children's bones instead.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Voxoid said:
When did Ubi$oft decide that their garbage was worth so much?
It was the same time they decided that their garbage was iconic.

Jan 12, 2012
Seth Carter said:
Bob_McMillan said:
<youtube=psw1NAFwAvw>

It actually looks like For Honor, minus the stamina system that would eventually force one guy to stop dodging or stop blocking. I wonder what gameplay they took from Steep to throw in this now.
All the Ubisoft titles are slowly merging into one game. By 2020 there will be one $400 engine and a bunch of DLC skin/mission packs masquerading as full games.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Seth Carter said:
Bob_McMillan said:
<youtube=psw1NAFwAvw>

All the Ubisoft titles are slowly merging into one game. By 2020 there will be one $400 engine and a bunch of DLC skin/mission packs masquerading as full games.
They do have odd choices. Like if you're gonna dump For Honor's animation and weapon models into a minigame(?) in the next AC, wouldn't it make more sense to use the Assasin Class ones and not the Viking Berserker. I guess they could have those too, but just showed that one for whatever reason.

Similarly, jamming the drone from Watch_Dogs 2 in. Watch_Dogs 2 had something of a redemption because it had a personality, even if it feels kind of shafted on the development (less MP modes, less missions, and missions feeling kind of underdesigned compared to the first one). And the drone in Watch_Dogs could also perform actions, not just act as a radar updater.

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
On one hand yeah, 800$ is a hell of a lot, on the other they're offering other purchase options and this is only supposed to ship 200 copies. I do hope they don't sell them all, if only out of spite, but that's really not much in the grander scheme of things and given that at that production scale making molds for casting the physical items is probably going to factor heavily into the price, it's probably not quite as profitable as it seems at a glance. So, a pretty weird decision and most likely not worth the ill will it generates, but not particularily outrageous in and of itself - I probably won't be getting the game at all, ever, but that's because I've got a beef with uPlay, not because Ubi's sales department is huffing glue.