Assassin's Creed Season Pass Features Female Protagonist in China

Darth Marsden

Sep 12, 2008
Have an image.

I'm not sure if it's just concept art or the actual game, but either way... I'd buy it (if I had a PS4/XBone).

Oh, and for the record - like Freedom Cry, this will be available stand-alone as well as being a part of the Season Pass.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
While Mark of the Ninja pulled something similar off very well... I have absolute faith in Ubisoft's ability to fuck shit up and make an abysmal failure of a game. God forbid they make a good sounding concept like this a full-fledged game like Unity or Brotherhood or anything else they have done. And people wonder why I get frustrated at Ubisoft as much as I do.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Why is it that Ubisoft insist on saving the female protagonists for the spin-off franchises? With Aveline with Liberation and now Shao with Chronicles, do they think that AAA games cannot handle female protagonists?

Female protagonists? OoOoOoh, scary.

I'm kinda disappointed that we wont be able to visit China in a mainline Assassin's Creed game, or at least for the foreseeable future considering that Shao Jun was pretty much the series' only established access point. Not that it really matters anyway; The Assassin's Creed series has been very hit-and-miss since it launched, im just waiting for Unity, or at least Arno, to be shit.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
You know what I would've liked? To see this thing YEARS AGO when AC1 showed French, Chinese and Mayan/Aztech as the possible continuations of the franchise, instead of the overextended Ezio trilogy and the fourth game. It's 5 years too late Ubi, now I say fuck off.

Andy Shandy said:
The game sounds pretty damn cool. And then there's the bit about the season pass.

...Fuck it, I'm bringing out the fist-shaking again.
But man, you forgot the most important part.

Andy Shandy said:

[HEADING=1]BARROWMAN! UBISOFT!GRRRRRR[/HEADING]
Fixed

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Sanunes said:
CaptainMarvelous said:
I mean, shit, Altair, Ezio, Connor, Edward, they may not be the best characters but they had obvious traits when they were announced, what the fucks going on with this French dude?
When seeing news like this one, it almost feels like Ubisoft is saying "okay we want this for the primary game, but you can do your interesting ideas for a DLC for it".
Right!? It's not like they can't make Unity interesting, you can have gruff white male as the main character and still do stuff but Unity just feels so... bland! Like, devoid of character. Whereas Shao Jun? I wanna see what that girl does! She was trained by Ezio, it connects the f*cking story! She's even interesting!

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
It's 2.5D for the girl's story because women cost so much to animate, they had to sacrifice the budget for that final 0.5D to animate her.

... Seriously, though, I'm intrigued... Not sold, but definitely intrigued.

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
I suspect this will be released as a separate $15 package a few months after launch much the same way Assassin's Creed - Freedom Cry was. I hope so at least, because this ain't enough to make me give a rat's fart about Unity.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Ronack said:
No, no, no, no, no. Not a 2D platformer. NO. Please, no. I had such high hopes for this when I first heard that she's getting a game. But now it's a 2D platformer? Ubisoft, why?
Mobile integration. Because nothing is better for action games than tapping and sliding your fingers across a tablet screen, right? Nah, I'm pretty sure they just want to fragment their products as much as possible to instigate more casual purchases from their fans. It's seems dirty to take advantage of your consumers, but damn, is it a very clever business practice to make extra cash for little to no extra work.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Ronack said:
No, no, no, no, no. Not a 2D platformer. NO. Please, no. I had such high hopes for this when I first heard that she's getting a game. But now it's a 2D platformer? Ubisoft, why?
Mobile integration. Because nothing is better for action games than tapping and sliding your fingers across a tablet screen, right? Nah, I'm pretty sure they just want to fragment their products as much as possible to instigate more casual purchases from their fans. It's seems dirty to take advantage of your consumers, but damn, is it a very clever business practice to make extra cash for little to no extra work.

EDIT: Double post, please delete. I blame your Solve media thingy.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
shirkbot said:
Ronack said:
Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends are 2D platformers by Ubisoft, and are both widely loved. Why not give it a chance? I know it's not as impressive as a full 3D AssCree game, but it could be a start to something interesting, and it helps get them out of their open-world rut.
i can give you one reason: because it is part of the season pass, and has not been announced as a standalone title. if it is released by itself, then it is something i would definitely check out (Rayman games were brilliant and MotN proves stealth can work well in 2D)

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Ubisoft continues to be one of those insanely frustrating companies to deal with.

One one hand, this sound really really cool. And I hope it does well, prompting Ubisoft to do a core AC game in the same setting (as I've been clamoring them to do for some time).

But then again, its Ubisoft, a company that has also adapted some of the worst characteristics directly from EA, and I refused to support them until they fix/shut down UPlay.

What's a guy to do?

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
-It's DLC for a game I don't plan on getting.
-It's 2.5D rather than an extension.
-It won't be out for a console I own (and I'm not using Uplay).

Somehow, this will turn into a "women can't sell games" argument though, I know it.
Wait, are you saying you represent a majority of people in this particular incident? Because honestly there are many a people that plan on getting the game (and likely the DLC), will put up with it being a side scroller (Limbo was one), and own the new consoles/willing to put up with Uplay.

I actually think this DLC has a decent chance at pushing for female characters, and though I'm not saying you have to buy it even if you don't want the game, I do think that those who like ac games and want a female character should get the DLC.

OT:Cool.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
bug_of_war said:
Wait, are you saying you represent a majority of people in this particular incident?
No, and I'm not sure why people are so prone to overreacting in gaming.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
God damn, why isn't this the main game?
I've been wanting a game set in China since I beat AC1 and saw the marks on the ground.

Oh well, at least we're getting one now. Female protagonist is a cool bonus, too.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I swear, liking Ubisoft is a dysfunctional relationship. Or like Wishmaster minus the death part. They never give you exactly what you want, infact they seem eager to twist it up into something not that great.

If this ever comes out on it's own, at a reasonable price, on something I can play it on, I'll pick it up. I'm not getting Unity, so the season pass is useless, this game aside.

I don't get why there's DLC when the damn game is nowhere near out yet, though.

Still, kudos to Ubi on making a female lead.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
No, and I'm not sure why people are so prone to overreacting in gaming.
Overreaction? Or misunderstanding due to poor explanation of your point?

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Antigonius said:
Question: Why should the game have one?
I'm not asking Ubisoft to have a female protagonist for the sake of having a female protagonist, but I am just curious as to why they have sidelined Shao Jun despite there being a lot of demand for a mainline Assassin's Creed game set in China, and considering that Shao Jun is a pre-established character.

white_wolf

Aug 23, 2013
I was excited there until I heard 2D side scroller + paint brush style nope I don't want to play the human Okami. Why couldn't ubi just make it normal? Again ubi's showcasing they think of female heroines as other by giving us AC barbie addition and now AC paint brush addition making highly experimental changes with only fem heros not male. I would've bought freaking unity just to play as her if it looked realistic thats part of the draw of the series being able to see the cities as if I was really there.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
So they can put a female protagonist into a DLC set in china in the 16th century but cannot be arsed to put one into the french revolution...

Bullshit