Assassin's Creed Syndicate Review - A Tale of Brother-and-Sisterhood

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Sorry AC, you'll have to come up with some pirate ship equivalent quality for me to ever want to touch you again. Changing the setting to old, steamy London and giving me a grapple hook really isn't gonna cut it.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Seeing the zipline and the invisibility is cool and all, but it just seems like they are making the game even easier. I mean, the AC games are usually easy enough as it is, and now you don't even have to bother climbing or trying to hide. What is the point?

Sure, I guess that it is optional, but I just hate it when you are fighting against the mechanics just so that you can try to make a game harder.

Imper1um

May 21, 2008
I'm watching the Metacritic Reviews to see how things go. Its looking like everyone is saying that the game is lifeless, and feels boring. I think the game is suffering from its yearly cycle.

I'll take a substantive game I can enjoy every 3 years over an appeasement every 1 year.

I apologize, but I can't trust this review. You're directly contradicting many other reviews when it comes to combat, and how the game story feels like. Also, you contradict yourself, saying that the missions felt hollow, yet the game's story feels great. Which is it? >.>

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Imper1um said:
Also, you contradict yourself, saying that the missions felt hollow, yet the game's story feels great. Which is it? >.>
Why can't they both be true? As a comparable example I've used before, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3(COD being the other AAA yearly release series) had some great missions and a rather badly constructed plot holding them together. They aren't mutually exclusive concepts.

Teepop

Sep 21, 2014
Wow.

I trust Lizzy so I have no question or doubts over how genuine the opinion being expressed is.

Lizzy's verdict is definitely a surprise to me though especially after seeing Videogamers content on it.

I obviously haven't played it so can't really comment either way but I've seen enough evidence from other outlets to deter me from dropping the £40 to find out.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I got Unity like a few months after release, the bugs were fixed.... I didn't finish it but I don't know why people were shitting over it. I even thought the story was interesting, an assassin in love with a templar.

Wasn't about to pick it up on release, but I'm casually keeping in an eye on it.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I generally like these type of games(I even liked 3, despite it's flaws....aka Desmond) but I have no plans to pick it up until it drops to $30 or so, a policy that will remain in place until Ubisoft ditches Uplay or at least makes it optional.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Take the following with a grain of salt, Assassin's Creed fanboy talkin' here.

I love this game.
Not gonna lie they scored some early points with me when they brought back the long death speeches from AC 1. I understand why people didn't like them, they were long and they definitely should have been skippable but they were one of my favorite parts of Assassin's Creed 1, I thought the characters and writing really shone in those.
And it's totally back in Syndicate, not as long but just as deep, they even brought back viewing the targets as standing up and walking around and they even wipe their victims blood on a handkerchief to confirm the kill, it's so awesome!
The gameplay's solid and not as all over the place as I thought Unity was, the character progression is a bit more simplified for chumps like me, the combat is near perfect (or maybe that's just because I hated Unity's combat), the setting feels more lively (at least to me) and I love the characters. Seriously, I can barely remember the names of anyone from Unity or Rogue (and I really liked Rogue) but Syndicate is really sticking to me.
I think the carriages are a little hard to control but it's a minor complaint.

And between the two twins, I really like playing as Evie. I don't dislike Jacob, I think he's funny and good at what he does but I really admire Evie's professionalism as an assassin.

I won't lie, the fact that they brought back elements from AC 1 definitely won it points with me. AC 1 has been my favorite Assassin's Creed for the exact reasons that they brought into Syndicate, this pleases me in ways I never thought I'd see again.
They brought all the right things from the previous games (or at least the things that I loved) and threw them into Syndicate, minus the sea-faring stuff so that might be a downpoint but I don't care.

This one's shaping up to be my favorite Assassin's Creed since the first one, I really like Assassin's Creed: Syndicate.

For clarity, that was what we in the biz call a joke. I understand some, not all, but some of you might be under the impression that if somebody likes something you don't, they were paid off. If you are one of those people, feel free to send me a check, I'll talk hot mess about Syndicate all day.

Johnny Thunder

May 18, 2014
I'm playing this game now, and I'm honestly enjoying the hell out of it. Probably due to this being my favourite historical time and place and people like Marx and Darwin being some of my favourite historical figures. Having two assassins to pick from is also a major plus. 9 out 10 for me.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
So can we please go to China or Japan now? British Empire is strong and we have the instability of the Qing Dynasty becoming more apparent and the boxer rebellion around the corner. Since Rogue haven't felt the need to shell out more than $20 for a AC game since they seem hell bent on staying in Europe and the Americas...

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
gphjr14 said:
So can we please go to China or Japan now? British Empire is strong and we have the instability of the Qing Dynasty becoming more apparent and the boxer rebellion around the corner. Since Rogue haven't felt the need to shell out more than $20 for a AC game since they seem hell bent on staying in Europe and the Americas...
Boxer Rebellion was boring; most of the activity was just in one city. Taiping Rebellion would be a much cooler setting. Now that was a proper Qing-era rebellion.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
dyre said:
gphjr14 said:
Boxer Rebellion was boring; most of the activity was just in one city. Taiping Rebellion would be a much cooler setting. Now that was a proper Qing-era rebellion.
I actually had typed Taiping but changed it because Syndicate takes place after the rebellion ended. Not that Ubisoft can't jump back and forth like they did with AC III, Black Flag, and Rogue. Either way people are becoming increasingly tired of America and Europe.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
First AC game I might pick up. Had some interest in Black Flag but never bothered buying it.
Just hope that the animus (or something similar name) bullshit is kept to a minimum.