Assassin's Creed Unity and Rogue Sold "Very Well"

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Shuu said:
A good year financially, but I imagine it was a terrible year in the impact it had on consumer trust.
I contest this. both Unity and Rogue sold pretty well, with plenty of pre-orders I suspect. If people haven't learned yet, then they're not going to.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
Unity selling well is a bit of a downer considering how horrifically bad it allegedly ran when it was initially released (from what I've understand it has since been patched to playable levels), but Rogue deserves every purchase it got. Seriously, been following the franchise since day one and I would rate Rogue as being one of the better games in the franchise, which is saying something considering it's a mere side-game.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
Unity was/is a terrible game, even after months of patches it still suffers from unplayable glitches such as the attack button ceasing to function and/or literally being frozen in place and none of your buttons (except the map/menu) working.

It was amazing visually during it initial release and I was willing to overlook many of it's glitches, but by now it has simply served as a example that Ubisoft is falling behind and starting to make some sub-par games in favor of pumping out money-makers based simply on their franchises initial successes. FarCry 4 for example is fun and full of mindless animals who want to simply kill EVERYTHING, yet the DLC has been bland and totally crap compared to the Blood Dragon DLC of FarCry 3. Ubisoft seems to have just re-skinned and released slightly improved copies of the same crap they released last gen (also I know some people may not share my opinion, but WatchDogs was SHIT).

So as of the rest of this console gen, I am going to avoid Ubisoft unless they start getting some 5/5 reviews for their games. Because so far I have been giving them that "Oh maybe people are just exaggerating" benefit of the doubt, but they have dropped the ball.

(whitty name here)

Apr 20, 2009
Black Flag got lucky. From what I've seen, it spread with word of mouth as "Actually good and not like AC3, I promise." It wasn't enough to convince me to buy another AC game. Seeing the two newest games reaching 10 million while Black Flag hit 11 just reinforces my initial stance of "Don't buy AC any more."

I'm interested to see how much lower next year will be when the game isn't riding on Black Flag's success. What will the sales look like then? will Ubisoft need THREE games to hit 9 million?

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
I bought AC Unity (ps4), when it was on sale for maybe 20% off original price, and after all the patch fixes, and i have to say i had fun, mostly with the multiplayer, but i also liked that they have gone back to a more hitman 47/dishonered like approach where you have a situation requiring infiltration, distraction, and a silent, hopefully unnoticed takedown.

dantoddd

Sep 18, 2009
I bought both unity and FC 4 earlier this month and i found that both games played really well with zero technical issues. although i felt that graphics aside their immediate predecessors were much better games

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Scorpid said:
This just tells me people need to learn to not buy bad games. With the exception of Far Cry 4 which apparently was just fine if you are looking for Farcry 3 but in the Himalayas their games quality was complete trash.
Yep, I'd imagine their sales figures won't be so inflated this year. They had a lot of big games that were super-hyped up (Watch_Dogs, Far Cry 4, the AC games) so of course they were going to sell well...at least until everyone figured out how absolutely shitty they were. And sure enough, all of the above ended up - by general consensus - being absolute trash, with AC: Unity being quite literally the most broken game released in a good long while.

"Oh! But they fixed AC: Unity now so it's actually kinda fun!" Forgive me for expecting a completed and finished product at purchase. I didn't know that AAA companies were in the business of doing Early Access for console games.

Uhuru N'Uru

Oct 8, 2014
This just shouts, Preorder sales to me.
Stop Preordering Games, all Ubisoft care about is taking your money, all other AAA publishers as well.
Stop getteing hyped for E£ and other sales pitches.
By all means get hyped for games, but it's not a game until it's released, get hyped for actually relased games, that deserve the hype.
If the AAA machine can make huge profits, before release why should they bother to actually finish making a game, properly.

While there's a case for getting Multiplayer games, when others are playing them. As far as Single player games are concerned, waiting until you can get all the content, for under £5/$10 is a wise move. I won't buy Ubisoft games for more than that, after having to suffer Uplay and their terrible support with AC3, I've just got Black Flag in the last Steam sale, with other games, still not played it yet, I will and when I do it's will still be a brand new game, to me.

Last years big AAA games were largly a letdown, the new games I actually enjoyed were not the overhyped E3 ones, they were the ones I knew nothing of until released, even then I waited until their first sale.

Sad thing is too many gamers never learn, many of this years Steam Top sellers are Preorders.
I'm sure consoles wil be the same.
Gamers keep paying for hype, all they'll get is the hype. The Publisher has no reason to actually make a good finished game, when they've already sold it to you as a bad unfinished one.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Y'know I actually kind of feel sorry for the developers of Rogue, because it's just as good as Black Flag was, and it could've just been the laziest rehash ever. But I only found out it existed through wikipedia, I saw ZERO PR, promotions or anything about Rogue at all, let alone the fact that it came out on the same day as Unity. Even after Unity being dogshite, they still got overshadowed because Unity was so dogshite and that's what all the news is about.

Rogue on the other hand was flawless bug wise, improves on the forumla from Black Flag, has three big areas to mook around in, including a massive version of New York, an enjoyable story, improved ship to ship combat and sailing, more shantys (very important) and the perfect opportunity to listen to Alestorm while pretending to be Errol Flynn. My only problem is that the money is now £, rather than R, so I can no longer make the obvious laboured pirate pun anytime I buy something.

Though to be fair, I still think Black Flag started life not as an Assassins Creed game, but whatever, it was my game of the year last year, and more of it in Rogue is exactly what I needed....Wehy hey up she rises, whey hey up she rises...

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
im sure not getting rogue when its out. i saw it on steam and was first excited but then it hit me how bad unity is, so i have no hope for this one. i rather wait and see what others have to say and if the majority says its good, then i might get it. so unity will be the only AC title i will not play. which is a shame since i am a fan since day.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Well to be fair, there wasn't much in the way of competition considering the lack of games on the new consoles, things could change once a few more IPs find their way onto new platforms.

Sould1n

Jan 23, 2011
Like a lot of people have mentioned, the overall quality of Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag likely restored many people's faith in the series and hoped that Assassins Creed Unity would follow suit. The sales of the following Assassins Creed game, might actually be a better assessment of consumer reaction to Assassins Creed Unity.

In any case, Ubisoft has developed a bit of a negative reputation through 2014. I was personally quite annoyed at the Wii U delay of Watch Dogs (and whilst I did enjoy the game, I do feel that Wii U version is likely a rather poor port, given the slowdown I notice during fast driving, multiple explosions, and heavy rain) but at the same time they did release Child of Light, which is my favourite game of this current generation... it does lead to uncertainty regarding my personal opinion of them.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Metalrocks said:
im sure not getting rogue when its out. i saw it on steam and was first excited but then it hit me how bad unity is, so i have no hope for this one. i rather wait and see what others have to say and if the majority says its good, then i might get it. so unity will be the only AC title i will not play. which is a shame since i am a fan since day.
I cant speak for How the PC port will operate, but as far as bugs go Rogue was pretty smooth. It was at its core just Black Flag with some improvements and some new mechanics so if you liked BF you should give it a chance.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
@sould1n
true. i also enjoyed watch dogs despite the problems i had, like constant freezing for a solid 5 seconds. there were moments were it froze several times in a row, which was very annoying that i failed some missions because of that. had them even in cutscenes that the pic froze but the sound continued and i have a r9 290x and even everything set to low, i still had the mentioned issues.

child of light is indeed a smooth game and even my game of the year of 2014. but i guess it was easier to optimize since the game wasnt really a hardware eater.

@darks63
thats good to hear that this game was better to play on consoles. but who knows how it is on pc. thats why i rather wait and see. if its good, then i will get it. otherwise, i keep my fingers of it.