Assassin's Creed Unity: The Good, The Bad And The Déplaisant

Robert Rath

Oct 8, 2010
Assassin's Creed Unity: The Good, The Bad And The Déplaisant

There are many things Assassin's Creed: Unity gets right, but there are also many things it gets wrong. And there are a couple things it just completely screws up on. Here's the big ones.

Read Full Article

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
I always imagined the revolution would be the result of assassins going too far, the start of the revolution would be seen as a victory over the templar influenced monarchy, until they realize all of France has gone nuts and now have to try and fix things and prevent the templar from turning this around on them.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
In defense of your last point about the Revolutions impact....we don't get to see beyond the main part of the terror and the main rise of the revolution.

But I do like your view that the later impacts of what happened after Robespierre was disposed of and the assembly fell should be included in DLC at some point.

I mean, after all
You do break into the tomb looking like a close friend and accomplice of Napoleon Bonaparte, so theres one massive area of good stories and history to explore, maybe even as one of his agents/weapons of war.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Combustion Kevin said:
I always imagined the revolution would be the result of assassins going too far, the start of the revolution would be seen as a victory over the templar influenced monarchy, until they realize all of France has gone nuts and now have to try and fix things and prevent the templar from turning this around on them.
That's really what I was hoping too and I'm very disappointed they didn't go for that because it actually seems like the logical way to take this. Assassins encouraging the overthrow of a Templar controlled government? Sounds like them. How wonderful irony when the mob they encouraged goes too far and starts mass executions that can't be controlled.

But apparently it was too edgy for ubisoft to actually show the Assasins as taking things a bit too far and making things worse.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
Dalisclock said:
But apparently it was too edgy for ubisoft to actually show the Assasins as taking things a bit too far and making things worse.
Funny that, if you read up on the expanded lore you see a pattern emerge:
Everything remembered as generally good thing, assassins did it, everything remembered as bad, templars did that.

Despite it's claim of multiculturalism, it feels very American to me, because in every game you are always fighting an oppressive regime and return power to the common folk, even when the common folk historically were largely uneducated and an alphabetic, leaving them unable to effectively govern their own cities in the first place, let alone a nation.
The assassins are always the underdog, every time, how come an order of omni-competent badasses gets trounced off-screen so often? what are the templars doing right as opposed to the assassins?

I like the first AC because of it's nuance, especially when your master tells you "I don't oppose their goals, I share it, it is the method I disagree with." , which paint the templars in a more sympathetic light, as opposed to their megalomaniac baby-eating counterparts from later installments.

There is great potential here for nuance and historical reflection, but instead we have this. :(

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Well, sadly, even in the first game, the game goes out of it's way to show each and every one of your main targets committing some sort of atrocity as you begin their assassination mission. You know, just in case you were wondering if you were truly doing the right thing. And then there was the mind control satellite thing that they teased us with from AC1 until AC3 until it blew up offscreen(as mentioned in AC3, I believe).

Maybe it's because all of the memories are from Assassins, so thus they always see themselves as the good guys. However, I didn't play three, but from what I understand, you play as a Templar for the first couple missions, so maybe it shows them in a better light there.

Sudarshan Ramani

Dec 2, 2014
The article is quite good. However, I have to make a correction when you say that Robespierre's story is of an idealist becoming a paranoid dictator. As per David A. Bell of the New Republic(no fan of Robespierre), "No serious historian of the French Revolution of the past century has accepted the idea that Robespierre ever exercised a true personal dictatorship."
http://www.politique-actu.com/dossier/very-different-french-revolution/1095095/

Unity as a game is poisonous and mendacious in its lies. The game is the least historically accurate of the games in the series and so it is the worst. The deceit is not consigned to the single player but extends to the side missions as well. Robespierre's depiction is a disappointment but not unexpected. The fact is the game tarnishes and lies about a bunch of people and sometimes for no reasons at all:

On the Ubisoft forums, I made a list of the errors, sequence-by-sequence, side mission-by-side mission. Everything laid out in the Top Post.
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/954025-ACU-History-A-list-of-demonstrable-lies-and-inaccuracies-SPOILERS