Assassin's Creed: Unity's Season Pass Has Been Cancelled

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
OT: Okay, but are they planning on actually fixing the game?

J Tyran said:
Yet the combat in Shadows of Mordor felt a lot more engaging and satisfying than it does in Assassins Creed despite sharing some similarities, even I find combat in Assassins Creed to be too easy yet in Shadows of Mordor it felt weightier with some epic, brutal and spectacular move sets and just challenging enough to give fights at least some tension without being frustrating for me when I'm pretty inexperienced with this genre and still giving the impression the character is a virtually unstoppable bad ass.
You should definitely get on the Arkham games then. Shadow of Mordor's combat was basically the Arkham combat, but with Middle Earth flavoring. And I approve of it, because, as you said, that combat system feels hefty. It feels like you're breaking someone's jaw as Batman.

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
Ipsen said:
Ambient_Malice said:
This should hopefully end some speculation:

Q: What about the other content from the Season Pass?

A: Season Pass holders will continue to have access to a variety of additional content, including Assassin?s Creed Chronicles: China.

http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-GB/community/liveupdates/live_updates_details.aspx?c=tcm:154-186650-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32

Are we all happy now? As I said, Season Pass holders will get EVERYTHING they paid for.

I feel sorry for Ubisoft because although they've been monumental screwups ever since Splinter Cell 2, nobody bothers to actually read their press releases.
If this was really EVERYTHING that they paid for, instead of, say, ubisoft just SAYING that the other content is provided (IE:throwing whatever incompletion they have into DLC)... Why did they cancel sales on the Season Pass at all? Your apologetics are going a bit far now, because there's STILL plenty to be concerned about in this situation.

Personally, while it may be ludicrously expensive to give the option of full refunds, I still believe it should be an option, considering the standing that a company such as Ubisoft has in the industry.

With what they've done here, you don't have much of an option to be disappointed, exclusively in terms of the failure of the Season Pass. You get a free game as reimbursement alongside....whatever the current uncertain state of the DLC will be. You MIGHT be able to wash the taste out of mouth with this, but as it's been stated previously, what if you have the games listed already? Or what if you miss the giveaway period? Now it's an even truer loss of $30! This is just Ubisoft, or just about any large company committing the like, passing their risk off onto consumers.

It's about messaging; Since consumers (in this case) have virtually no input as to what is considered 'valuable' to them, an admitted failure from the company that DOES have such input is a big deal; if you the company are disappointed in the product (that consumers have already paid for), how much more disappointed are they going to be? At least, If a refund option is given, some, even many would take it and run, but it clears the table at the point of failure (this is something both within Ubisoft's power and unarguable for the consumer, since payment is all that is typically asked of us). Consumers could come back to another product without the sense of disappointment from the failure, that was entirely of Ubisoft's doing, that we HAVE to feel.

But perhaps Ubisoft doesn't care about messaging. I hardly buy AAA games these days because it seems that the model going forward is to sell to any and every dope who feels that s/he has no tolerance for learning if they'll be screwed over or not, even after the fact. But if AAA companies want to act like dogs, I can treat them like dogs.
There no real indication that the game's DLC plans have changed. Every piece of content promised to people who bought the Season Pass will be delivered.

Dead Kings is being given away for free. Unless you care about a few bonus missions, some extra gear, and that China spinoff game, there isn't a huge incentive to buy a Season Pass now.

Regardless, there's nothing specifically wrong with taking content people have paid for and making it free to everyone. People purchasing the Season Pass are getting what they paid for.

edit:
It baffles me that Ubisoft just released a patch and have promised more, but some people are convinced the game's been abandoned.

edit 2:
The Season Pass is still valid. There has been no change to the content it gets you. It annoys me that Ubisoft can repeatedly state something, but people won't listen.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
One more reason not to buy these 'season passes'...
To be honest, DLC is just making me wait for a long time before I buy the game. My OCD demands I get all the DLC, so I need to wait for an extra long to see if it's all worth it.
(I know it doesn't make sense, it's OCD. And I can play a game without gettin 'all' of it, but it harms my enjoyment a lot, and games being something I play for fun...)

FalloutJack said:
Anyone else think that that picture looks like the aliens from They Live?
THAT's what it's been reminding me of, thank you.
It's been bothering me.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
LetalisK said:
J Tyran said:
Yet the combat in Shadows of Mordor felt a lot more engaging and satisfying than it does in Assassins Creed despite sharing some similarities, even I find combat in Assassins Creed to be too easy yet in Shadows of Mordor it felt weightier with some epic, brutal and spectacular move sets and just challenging enough to give fights at least some tension without being frustrating for me when I'm pretty inexperienced with this genre and still giving the impression the character is a virtually unstoppable bad ass.
You should definitely get on the Arkham games then. Shadow of Mordor's combat was basically the Arkham combat, but with Middle Earth flavoring. And I approve of it, because, as you said, that combat system feels hefty. It feels like you're breaking someone's jaw as Batman.
I keep meaning to but you know how it is with your Steam backlog, I got the GOTY versions of Asylum and City earlier this year but they kinda got stuck on the pile with everything else.

I do want to play them because I have heard nothing but good things about the series, the first two at least anyway.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
I must be a lucky one then. I have not experienced any game breaking bugs. Just some graphical anomalies. Nothing that breaks the game or even made me restart the application.

God of war ascension is the most broken game I've played in years. Way worse then skyrim on ps3. In skyrim the worse problem I had was one path of a quest line was broken so I had to pick the other option. Ascension froze on me 5+, and WIPED my hard mode completed save when I was trying to get the platinum trophy.

It amuses me how must outrage there is about Unity. Wasn't Battlefield 4 way more broken?

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Raziel said:
I must be a lucky one then. I have not experienced any game breaking bugs. Just some graphical anomalies. Nothing that breaks the game or even made me restart the application.

God of war ascension is the most broken game I've played in years. Way worse then skyrim on ps3. In skyrim the worse problem I had was one path of a quest line was broken so I had to pick the other option. Ascension froze on me 5+, and WIPED my hard mode completed save when I was trying to get the platinum trophy.

It amuses me how must outrage there is about Unity. Wasn't Battlefield 4 way more broken?
I think Unity is just the straw that broke the camel's back. Consumers have been putting up with broken games on release day for years now, and I think all the frustration has finally reached the boiling point.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
That's... surprising. It's clear that there was a lot banked on Unity, and this does sound like it amounts to an abandonment of the project. It causes me to wonder if the remaining bugs and problems are likely to be fully patched.

Still, I do have to give some credit: The games it's offering as compensation are some of Ubi's latest and greatest, not back catalog. I appreciate when a company's attempt to make good has some small signs of sincerity.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
I remember after AC2 I had such hopes and excitement for this series. It has probably been the biggest waste of promise for a series in a long time.

I feel for those who got burned by buying the gold edition. I hope this wakes consumers up not to pre-order or to buy "special editions". There is tons to lose and very little to gain.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I don't really get this. If the content of the Season Pass is still being delivered, why quit selling it from a business standpoint? If they're apologizing for a broken launch by offering a free game (whether it should be a refund or not), why give away a third of the season pass for free and then continue to release the other portions of it to those who bought the pass? It wasn't the season pass that was bugged to hell (by its very nature we don't even know what that content played like), so why is the apology game going to purchasers of the season pass exclusively? I feel like there's some other potentially shareholder-esque reasoning behind this.

A side note about season passes, and why the practice itself troubles me. I bought The Evil Within, and I'm one of those sick fucks who really enjoyed it despite its flaws in a DA2 kind of way. I didn't buy the season pass though, because I have no idea what I'm really getting and don't want to essentially pre-order a series of small products totaling $20 that have some relation to TEW. My point is, the game obviously didn't meet critical or sales expectations, so are we still getting that content? Is Bethesda going to put only the bare minimum of money and time towards the DLC because of the sales numbers? If they decide it isn't worth making, is there a refund, or a free game offered as seen here? I haven't liked this idea at all since that sting of Gears 3 SP including a 800kb or so "addition" to horde mode that was already on the disc. Buyer beware, especially with preorders, and especially when preordering DLC with your preordered game. We just need to become educated and savvy consumers I guess.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Strazdas said:
I am. As i pointed out multiple times, i speak for jurisdiction based on EU law.
You actually didn't, at least not where it was pertinent. But then, then there's no real relevance here if that's the case.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
This is hilarious. Not even a month and they already abandon this game. The future is so bright, I got to wear shades.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Sounds like a tragic misfire with one of my favorite franchises. AC3 was... not fun, and I never finished it but I wouldn't call it "broken".

But even Yahtzee made the campaign sound playable so I might get it on a super-sale of some kind in the future. Otherwise, giving this one a pass and I hope they learn their lesson for the next one. Black Flag was approaching masterpiece levels of fun and I hope they can hit that again.

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
Rawbeard said:
This is hilarious. Not even a month and they already abandon this game. The future is so bright, I got to wear shades.
The game hasn't been abandoned. Pretty much ZERO has changed. The only change is they aren't selling anymore Season Passes.

Ubisoft can't win because so many people are absurdly suspicious and/or delusional. If Ubisoft promise more DLC than they're already announced, people will bash them for working on DLC instead of patching the game. If Ubisoft promise more patches, as they have repeatedly, nobody pays attention, or they whine about the game not being fixed fast enough. Ubisoft have not cancelled a single piece of DLC, and they've announced their dedication to patching the game. How in the world does that equal "abandoning" a game?

Also, the pissing and moaning over framerates is ridiculous. 8th gen consoles are underpowered. Unity is an insanely ambitious game. Ubisoft are hard at work trying to improve framerates AT SOME POINT IN THE FUTURE, but nobody should expect miracles from hardware which gets thrashed by 5 year old PCs. Dead Rising 3 also had framerate issues. Making a game of this type run smoothly isn't something which is easy to achieve. Unity is kinda like Trespasser. The game is basically too ambitious for 8th gen hardware, and it is allegedly too ambitious for DirectX 11's draw call limitations. Black Flag was on a completely different level to Unity. Also, Black Flag was a poor PC port. Unity is a rather good PC port.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Strazdas said:
I am. As i pointed out multiple times, i speak for jurisdiction based on EU law.
You actually didn't, at least not where it was pertinent. But then, then there's no real relevance here if that's the case.
I admit i did not in this thread, but i did in other threads where talking about laws, so somone like you whos been reading my posts quite a few times (judging by times you quoted me) should have known.

The relevance is here for everyone that bought it that resides in EU, since if you want to sell something in EU you must follow EU sales law. To comply to that companies often set up a gateways in EU. for example if you buy something off stema in EU you are not buying from Steam in US, you are buying from Steams branch in Luxemburg.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Strazdas said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Strazdas said:
I admit i did not in this thread, but i did in other threads where talking about laws, so somone like you whos been reading my posts quite a few times (judging by times you quoted me) should have known.

The relevance is here for everyone that bought it that resides in EU, since if you want to sell something in EU you must follow EU sales law. To comply to that companies often set up a gateways in EU. for example if you buy something off stema in EU you are not buying from Steam in US, you are buying from Steams branch in Luxemburg.
It's very easy to forget who speaks for what or where people come from sometimes. May as well inform to the fullest.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Oh I've been through this song and dance before...it's the same honeypot logic employed by EA when SimCity went tits-up last year: don't issue refunds, give out product instead.

Why no refunds? Because that's revenue, and revenue is worth FAR more to them than giving out free games.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Ambient_Malice said:
Rawbeard said:
The game hasn't been abandoned. Pretty much ZERO has changed. The only change is they aren't selling anymore Season Passes.

Ubisoft can't win because so many people are absurdly suspicious and/or delusional. If Ubisoft promise more DLC than they're already announced, people will bash them for working on DLC instead of patching the game. If Ubisoft promise more patches, as they have repeatedly, nobody pays attention, or they whine about the game not being fixed fast enough. Ubisoft have not cancelled a single piece of DLC, and they've announced their dedication to patching the game. How in the world does that equal "abandoning" a game?

Also, the pissing and moaning over framerates is ridiculous. 8th gen consoles are underpowered. Unity is an insanely ambitious game. Ubisoft are hard at work trying to improve framerates AT SOME POINT IN THE FUTURE, but nobody should expect miracles from hardware which gets thrashed by 5 year old PCs. Dead Rising 3 also had framerate issues. Making a game of this type run smoothly isn't something which is easy to achieve. Unity is kinda like Trespasser. The game is basically too ambitious for 8th gen hardware, and it is allegedly too ambitious for DirectX 11's draw call limitations. Black Flag was on a completely different level to Unity. Also, Black Flag was a poor PC port. Unity is a rather good PC port.
I'm sorry if this is rude but I just have to ask. Is Ubisoft paying you to spend so much time defending their product? Are you just too prideful to admit you bought a turd so you have to furiously defend it by insulting everyone else who criticizes it? Perhaps you are just suffering from Stockholm Syndrome?

The amount of logical fallacies in your posts are so cringe worthy I really hope it is one of those three options otherwise I feel sorry for you.

I'm happy you enjoy a broken product so much but people have every right to be suspicious about Ubisoft's practices given that they openly lie to the consumer. Remember when 95% of PC players pirate according to Ubisoft? I do and that is just a small taste of how they treat consumers.

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
I notice Rogue isn't on the list of freebies. Is Rogue actually an Ubi Soft game even? I mean its like no one even acknowledges its existence.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
It has been a week and I can't even play as Arno because the game keeps on crashing whenever I get to the loading screen after the intro section. I didn't even pay for the game, but even I want to money back. I should have gone for FarCry 4 instead of this; I mean I knew the game had issues, but I never knew it was this broken. At hope that they somewhat fix the game instead of going the AC3 route of abandoning any computer that doesn't have a NVidia GPU.

killerbee256

Aug 14, 2014
Ambient_Malice said:
seditary said:
Surely in some regions it'd be the law that they'd have to provide a refund instead of just exchanging it for something else?
I don't see why they'd be obliged to refund since you're still getting the content you paid for. It's just that everyone else now gets it for free, and you get a free game on top of that.

Anyway, I've been playing Unity on PC, and it is not THAT bad. The game has some nasty bugs, but so did AC3 after SIX PATCHES. Ubisoft have just started rolling out a massive bugfix patch, and are promising a performance patch in the future. It's not as if Ubisoft tossed a half-finished game out the door and then abandoned it.

Annual series having nasty issues on launch goes waaaaay back. Why has everyone forgotten the Turok games, pushed out the door like clockwork every year regardless of whether they were finished, and their terrible bugs which were (sometimes) fixed in later catridge revisions?

edit:
I mean, I want a refund for Assassin's Creed IV: We Sold You A Pirate Game Disguised As An AssCreed Title. :p

And while AC3 is still a bug-ridden mess, I think it's a high point for the series.
You know a competent company would have, I don't know, tested the game then fixed the bugs before release. You my friend are paying 60+ dollars to beta test for ubisoft.