Assassin's Creed's Ezio Joins the Party in Final Fantasy XIII-2

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Assassin's Creed's Ezio Joins the Party in Final Fantasy XIII-2

The protagonist of Final Fantasy XIII-2 will be able to don an Assassin's garb in an upcoming DLC pack.

Square Enix loves crossovers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113055-The-World-Ends-With-You-Invades-Kingdom-Hearts]. At this point, the internet will probably roll its collective eyes and go "duh," but honestly, who would have thought that a Final Fantasy/Disney mash-up would become a media darling prior to 2002? Thanks to Ubisoft, another unlikely character will be entering Square Enix's world of crystals, moogles, and chocobos: Ezio Auditore da Firenze, recurring protagonist of the Assassin's Creed series. A DLC package for the upcoming Final Fantasy XIII-2 will allow new protagonist Noel Kreiss to don the iconic Italian's robes.

The reasoning behind this unusual pairing is not clear. A press release from Square Enix extols the histories, fans, and sales of both series, and reveals that Ubisoft is "lending" Ezio's black Assassin robe to the popular fantasy RPG series. Aside from both series embracing yearly releases [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114322-Square-Enix-Wants-a-New-Final-Fantasy-Every-Year], it's hard to find points of commonality between teenagers who save the world through friendship and impossible hairdos and an aging Assassin who roams Europe rooting out systemic corruption. Nevertheless, the outfit looks cool no matter who's wearing it, although Square Enix has not revealed whether it will affect anything other than Noel's aesthetics.

This promotion could be a once-in-a-lifetime collaboration between two radically different companies, but if it sells, perhaps Ubisoft and Square Enix will be willing to take on future projects together. I don't know about you, but I'm personally ready to pre-order Kingdom Hearts 3 right now if Square Enix can promise me a level that features Sora leaping into haystacks and lobbing Italian profanities at Templars.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
I would've found it hilarious if this costume was actually intended for Vanille. There's something about the mental image of her doing the sneaky, sneaky, stab you in the neck thing that amuses me.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
So is this what people do now?
Didn't MGS4 have an Altair costume in it?
Now that I think about it, didn't Ezio have a Cyborg Raiden costume in Brotherhood?
Still, it isn't the weirdest crossover I've seen.
http://vgtribune.com/colonel-sanders-makes-guest-appearance-in-phantasy-star-portable-2-infinity/

Penitent

Oct 25, 2008
Escapist, I love your stuff, and I know full well that you need to make money...

But it seriously bothers me when you put up such misleading titles for your articles. You guys should be classier than that: there are some things which shouldn't be done for the sake of that extra page-view. Please, just tell it straight in the future.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
You have to admit that Ezio's outfit is freakin' badass. I wouldn't be surprised if Renaissance clothing becomes the new fashion in a few years.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
-.-

That is all I care to say about that.
What? More you say?
I didn't think anybody cared about ff anymore.
Unfortunately, it looks like I'm wrong.

Why take a decent character and insert him in a game that'll prolly wind up being crappy?
Oh, my bad. His clothes. Yeah. Not even him. Someone stole his shirt. Wow.

Ubisoft and Square/Enix are so funny...

In a bad way.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
What's with Ezio and AAA Japanese games? Soul Calibur and now Final Fantasy? Pretty soon we'll have Ezio be playable in Super Smash Bros. or something.

But that would still be awesome.

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
When the haystack was in Peace Walker and Raiden appeared in Brotherhood, it seemed meaningful, like those two had an important relationship. Now? AC is the no pants wearing whore who gives it out to all takers. Stay away from that glammed up tart people, Renascence syphilis still has no cure.

(It must be said that I can't wait to take him on in Soulcalibur)

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Undead Dragon King said:
What's with Ezio and AAA Japanese games? Soul Calibur and now Final Fantasy? Pretty soon we'll have Ezio be playable in Mario Tennis or something.
I don't know about that, but this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114386-Rumor-Sony-Developing-Smash-Bros-Style-Brawler-for-PS3] seems plausible.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
2xDouble said:
Undead Dragon King said:
What's with Ezio and AAA Japanese games? Soul Calibur and now Final Fantasy? Pretty soon we'll have Ezio be playable in Mario Tennis or something.
I don't know about that, but this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114386-Rumor-Sony-Developing-Smash-Bros-Style-Brawler-for-PS3] seems plausible.
I realized that just as I hit "Post". I changed it right afterward.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Kinda wish it had been KH with the actual Ezio making an appearance. Or even better, have Aya show up in the game. Or perhaps if you're going to do costumes, do "classic" ones by having the characters wear either old protagonist clothes or make their own clothes look like they were in the style of one of the old games (strangely enough, as I thought of this, I realized Ezio would have actually fit with the style of IX with it's Renaissance style, and that if they wanted a character that would fit with this, they'd could probably work with Adam Jensen).

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
I've been had! I thought Ezio was going to do a cameo or something. Instead, it's just his costume. It's still looks good, but I'm not getting any DLC. Especially when it's just changing the clothing.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
ok thats freakin' retarded. I like Assassins Creed as much as the next gamer but for fuck sake enough is enough, Ezio does NOT have to be in everything >.<

Also prefer Altair over the pretty boy. At least Altair had commitment to the cause with having the lose a finger and all :p

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
it's really sad to see how people who were disappointed by the first game are now not even considering the sequel
it's understandable but sad
because of all i read now(and i read A LOT) FFXIII-2 will be a complete antithesis to it'spredecessor
so much choice and freedom and lots of bonus stuff to do... it might even be the freest and choiciest ff ever
i really hope it blows the professional reviewers away so that the people at least take a look at it

as to the costume, i really hope this comes close to release so i can buy it
it would really suit that otherwise completely gay and uninteresting noel character

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Penitent said:
Escapist, I love your stuff, and I know full well that you need to make money...

But it seriously bothers me when you put up such misleading titles for your articles. You guys should be classier than that: there are some things which shouldn't be done for the sake of that extra page-view. Please, just tell it straight in the future.
I agree. This title definitely gives the idea that Ezio himself will be in FFXIII-2, the idea of which made me go WTF?! In reality, it's not Ezio, but Ezio's costume that will appear in the game.

The article title was quite misleading.

I love Assassin's Creed, and I am long-time fan of Final Fantasy (though I hated XIII); the thought of Ezio being a playable character in a Final Fantasy game filled me with confused disgust.

EDITED: As a character, Ezio belongs in Final Fantasy as much as I belong in the Tea Party. (Since you all don't know my political views, let me just say that both ideas are completely absurd.)

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
ok thats freakin' retarded. I like Assassins Creed as much as the next gamer but for fuck sake enough is enough, Ezio does NOT have to be in everything >.<

Also prefer Altair over the pretty boy. At least Altair had commitment to the cause with having the lose a finger and all :p
Ezio is the new Dante! Run for the hills!

OT: I want FFXIII-2 reaaaaally bad. Just can't decide on the preorder bonus...

Gamestop's, which is a new oufit and weapon for Sarah (Which lets her attack faster, looks awesome, and has two different forms) or Amazon's, which has the Monster Arena and gives you Omega as a party member.