Asset Sell-Off Suggests the End of Team Bondi

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
Asset Sell-Off Suggests the End of Team Bondi


L.A. Noire [http://www.amazon.com/L-Noire-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0HBZW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1312917969&sr=8-2] developer Team Bondi has reportedly sold off all its game IP and other assets to Australian production studio KMM.

Rumors surfaced Mad Max [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112117-Rumor-Team-Bondi-Merging-With-Happy-Feet-2-Studio] creators George Miller and Byron Kennedy. And while there's still no official word from anyone involved in the process, "a source close to the matter" says that it's now a done deal, as all assets and IP belonging to Team Bondi have been sold to KMM, while Team Bondi employees have been offered either a job at the new company or a severance package.

The severance package may be appealing because studio boss Brendan McNamara is said to be moving to KMM along with the studio, which could make things sticky for KMM employees who came to the company to escape the "abusive work conditions" at Team Bondi. And don't expect McNamara's demeanor to soften in his new home; KMM principal George Miller reportedly likes the cut of his jib, specifically as it relates to his "attitude to deadlines." I guess nobody told George that L.A. Noire was originally supposed to come out in 2008.

Whether Team Bondi continues to operate as a distinct entity or is entirely subsumed by KMM, any potential L.A. Noire sequels will be unaffected, as the rights to the IP are owned by publisher Rockstar.

Source: Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/38418/Team-Bondi-releases-assets-and-IP-to-KMM]


Permalink
 

No_Remainders

New member
Sep 11, 2009
1,872
0
0
Hold the phone there! How were they in financial troubles? Didn't L.A. Noire sell like hot cakes?
 

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
3,073
0
0
No_Remainders said:
Hold the phone there! How were they in financial troubles? Didn't L.A. Noire sell like hot cakes?
No, console sales were much lower than anticipated. Which is why they're releasing the PC version in the hopes of making up for their losses, or at least that was the speculation.
 

No_Remainders

New member
Sep 11, 2009
1,872
0
0
Waaghpowa said:
No_Remainders said:
Hold the phone there! How were they in financial troubles? Didn't L.A. Noire sell like hot cakes?
No, console sales were much lower than anticipated. Which is why they're releasing the PC version in the hopes of making up for their losses, or at least that was the speculation.
Oh right.

I had assumed that after that much hype, it must have sold well.
 

Duskflamer

New member
Nov 8, 2009
355
0
0
Even if Bondi made a tidy profit of of LA Noire, they're not large enough to survive the absolutely terrible PR they're getting from the investigations into their working conditions. It makes sense that they'd be closing down.
 
Dec 27, 2010
814
0
0
No_Remainders said:
Waaghpowa said:
No_Remainders said:
Hold the phone there! How were they in financial troubles? Didn't L.A. Noire sell like hot cakes?
No, console sales were much lower than anticipated. Which is why they're releasing the PC version in the hopes of making up for their losses, or at least that was the speculation.
Oh right.

I had assumed that after that much hype, it must have sold well.
Actually, it did sell fairly well (at least in the UK), but that doesn't mean it made money.
 

Fusioncode9

New member
Sep 23, 2010
663
0
0
After all the controversy surrounding the team about how horrible the work conditions are, it's no wonder the game didn't sell well.
 

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
1,369
0
0
Andy Chalk said:
The severance package may be appealing because studio boss Brendan McNamara is said to be moving to KMM along with the studio, which could make things sticky for KMM employees who came to the company to escape the "abusive work conditions" at Team Bondi. And don't expect McNamara's demeanor to soften in his new home; KMM principal George Miller reportedly likes the cut of his jib, specifically as it relates to his "attitude to deadlines." I guess nobody told George that L.A. Noire was originally supposed to come out in 2008.
If there are other studios in the area, and they're hiring, I suspect many employees will jump sheet. If leaving Bondi/KMM means moving out of the industry or across the country many of these people may feel like they have no good options.
 

Jumplion

New member
Mar 10, 2008
7,873
0
0
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
No_Remainders said:
Waaghpowa said:
No_Remainders said:
Hold the phone there! How were they in financial troubles? Didn't L.A. Noire sell like hot cakes?
No, console sales were much lower than anticipated. Which is why they're releasing the PC version in the hopes of making up for their losses, or at least that was the speculation.
Oh right.

I had assumed that after that much hype, it must have sold well.
Actually, it did sell fairly well (at least in the UK), but that doesn't mean it made money.
Considering that Team Bondi originally went way over-budget with Sony (the original publisher), and then continued to waste Rockstar's time/money so much that they don't even want to work with them anymore, I doubt they could ever have sold enough to really recuperate their loses.

On one hand, I can admire McNamara's desire to really put something great. On the other hand, he doesn't know that he's completely incompetent in delivering that potential if the reports are true (Constantly hiring/firing employees within a few months, no real direction with the game, abusive management and no management, uncredited workers, etc...).
 

Shamanic Rhythm

New member
Dec 6, 2009
1,653
0
0
Andy Chalk said:
The severance package may be appealing because studio boss Brendan McNamara is said to be moving to KMM along with the studio, which could make things sticky for KMM employees who came to the company to escape the "abusive work conditions" at Team Bondi. And don't expect McNamara's demeanor to soften in his new home; KMM principal George Miller reportedly likes the cut of his jib, specifically as it relates to his "attitude to deadlines."
I knew it. Rock on, shitty Australian capitalists who don't mind treating your workers like animals if it's the most efficient production method available to you.
 

drakythe

New member
Feb 10, 2011
203
0
0
GiantRaven said:
Should've sold the IP to Rockstar imo.
Rockstar already owns the IP rights to L.A. Noire. What else does Team Bondi have? Their website only lists LAN, and a quick wiki search nets the same result. This is a company that wasted a ton of money and has the manager from hell. What else do they have?
 

johnnnny guitar

New member
Jul 16, 2010
427
0
0
wait wait wait rockstar owns the rights to L.A. noire ok awsome well now I don't care what happens to team Bondi
 

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
498
0
0
I'm sorry, I know there's lots of quality information in this story, but once I heard Mad Max all I can think now is what it would be like to blend L.A. Noire with Fallout. It'd be as mind spinning as Punisher meets Archie.
 

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
3,452
0
0
Moriarty70 said:
I'm sorry, I know there's lots of quality information in this story, but once I heard Mad Max all I can think now is what it would be like to blend L.A. Noire with Fallout. It'd be as mind spinning as Punisher meets Archie.
lets get a script writen and make millions, cause that was my first thought too!