Astronauts Start 520-Day Mars Test

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Logan Westbrook said:
The experiment has come under criticism however, for its male-only crew: "The absence of women in Mars-500 Project yet again proves the presence on old-fashioned earthly gender stereotypes," said Mikhail Salkin of the Moscow Human Rights Protection Centre, who accused the experiment of being unfairly biased towards men.
First of all, The Daily Mail? Shame on you, Nil...

Secondly...There's a very good reasons why its a male only crew. Men and women in the same space for a year and a half? Most marriages don't last that long.
Right, because it's impossible to think people who've trained for that long could, you know, act like professional adults for a whole year and a half.
People throw professionalism out the window all the time for the sake of poontang.

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
Strategia said:
Okay, now this may come across as sexist, but it's a possibility: If they DO take a woman on board, or multiple women, being locked up for over 500 days, there's always a chance they'll throw regulations out the window and, well..... being pregnant several million kilometres from the nearest hospital can never end well for anyone. Besides, this is just an early-stage experiment - adding members of the other gender can cause more tension than a monogendered crew would experience, let's see if being isolated for 520 days is at all possible before complicating the situation any further.
Well it's not like we see this whiner volunteering to be locked up in a space for 520 days with a woman.
Why thank you. I give my considered opinion on the matter, and you call me a whiner for no apparent reason.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Glademaster said:
Seems that they would rather that the guys turn homo that have a woman pop outta there with a baby or something.
Well, considering that an unplanned pregnancy would force them to abort the mission...

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Strategia said:
samsonguy920 said:
Strategia said:
Okay, now this may come across as sexist, but it's a possibility: If they DO take a woman on board, or multiple women, being locked up for over 500 days, there's always a chance they'll throw regulations out the window and, well..... being pregnant several million kilometres from the nearest hospital can never end well for anyone. Besides, this is just an early-stage experiment - adding members of the other gender can cause more tension than a monogendered crew would experience, let's see if being isolated for 520 days is at all possible before complicating the situation any further.
Well it's not like we see this whiner volunteering to be locked up in a space for 520 days with a woman.
Why thank you. I give my considered opinion on the matter, and you call me a whiner for no apparent reason.
And thank you for misreading my post. I was thinking I should be more clear that I meant the Russian wag, Mikhail Salkin of the Moscow Human Rights Protection Centre, complaining about no women on the project. But then I thought that I didn't need unnecessary filler. My bad.

Jun 11, 2008
SilentHunter7 said:
Glademaster said:
Seems that they would rather that the guys turn homo that have a woman pop outta there with a baby or something.
Well, considering that an unplanned pregnancy would force them to abort the mission...
Well that and this is just a test there is the whole strain of cross gender relations as well to consider.

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
Strategia said:
samsonguy920 said:
Strategia said:
And thank you for misreading my post. I was thinking I should be more clear that I meant the Russian wag, Mikhail Salkin of the Moscow Human Rights Protection Centre, complaining about no women on the project. But then I thought that I didn't need unnecessary filler. My bad.
Ahh, I see. Sorry. Now that I understand what you were trying to say, you make a good point.

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
This is doomed.

The kind of people who are willing to spend 520 days in a confined space are not the kind of people I would want to spend 520 days in a confined space with.

Lineoutt

Sock Hat
Jun 26, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
Heh... 520 days they have to spend, all men in there, and none of them will be in the presence of a woman in that time...
I... wonder what will happen...
>.<
Still, an interesting little experiment.
apparently last time they tried something like this some guy tried to rape the woman lol. oh and they each get paid 97k american

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
This is great news. But we'd need several groups attempting this at the same time. A male-only group, a female-only group, several mixed groups with different ratios and so on.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
DTWolfwood said:
god speed cosmonauts!

man that last statement irks me something fierce. >.<
Which part? I like cosmonaut. It's techy and yet fanciful.
the sexiest statement. apparently we cant have a science experiment nowadays without a woman involved it seems <.<

S0nofKrypton

May 22, 2009
"The experiment has come under criticism however, for its male-only crew"

oh that's right then. put one women in a confined space with a group of men for over a year. that'll end up going REALLY well. honestly, people will gripe about anything.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Wow. A year and a half in a tin can full of people. I can't even imagine doing that.

I could last that long on my own, so long as I had stuff to keep me occupied. But with other people? No way. I'd start getting all aggressive and territorial within a month.

pravvv

Jun 22, 2010
I think going through mars simulation will be more fun than the real one...they will always get the feeling that there is someone around..its not good to put a women to such deadly task..let the men do the task..they will use dolls for refreshment..

pravvv

Jun 22, 2010
They are not staying in a hotel to get freaked out with others...this life threatening journey will bring them together and knowing that they are only humans around with enough oxygen to last..every minute they will be alert..

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Chrono212 said:
Did they take any games with them? :p

What are they going to do for all that time? On mission in space they do tons of zero-g related experiments but here...there's only so many psych-analysis tests you can do...
And they are WAY more fun.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
SL33TBL1ND said:
Chrono212 said:
Did they take any games with them? :p

What are they going to do for all that time? On mission in space they do tons of zero-g related experiments but here...there's only so many psych-analysis tests you can do...
And they are WAY more fun.
o rly?
Do you know that from personal experience? XD