ASUS motherboards over volted and blowing up CPUs?!?!?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
ASUS used to be my go to brand. Now I'm hearing that their boards are blowing up CPUs.

Is it just ASUS? I got less than 10 months to go before my next build. This is some bad news if true.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Things like this always make me suspicious; although with nVidia’s PSU connector blow outs I consider it less unlikely than I once did. But how does this kind of problem slip past their QA? Seems like if it was a device issue that it would crop up long before now.

Reactions: gorfias

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Gamers Nexus went over the topic too, and boy is it ever a mess.

While anecdotal, my last expertience with building PCs before stopping and moving to Mac was roughly 1 1/2 years ago, and 2 of the same model of Asus motherboards came with a defect each, one of them showing itself after 3 months which was electrical whine coming from the CPU socket. Even though it was an Intel chip... considering the findings of these two reviewers, I wouldn't be surprised if my CPU was gonna nuke itself as well thanks to something Asus borked themselves.
I wish they could come recommended, but they've been slipping a little over the years, and the way they've been conducting themselves with this issue speaks to larger problems overall and probably aren't a safe bet to go with if they continue being scumbags

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Things like this always make me suspicious; although with nVidia’s PSU connector blow outs I consider it less unlikely than I once did. But how does this kind of problem slip past their QA? Seems like if it was a device issue that it would crop up long before now.
I am amazed they did not recall them, especially if it is true that updating the BIOS would fix the problem. Now I'm scared to buy their stuff even when there are great deals like the one I was planning to go with. I still may. We'll see what is on sale next March.
1683923868879.png

hanselthecaretaker2

Flask restoration in progress
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
HA, joke’s on you Asus! If it was going to be an issue with my 6yr old Z720 Tuf Mark1 it would’ve probably happened by now.