Asylum of the Daleks

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
7,507
3
43
BloodyThor said:
Is no one going to talk about how the hell did the doctor end up on skaro at the beginning of the show? I've read multiple reviews about this episode and some mention skaro but nothing else afterwards. SKARO WAS DESTROYED IN THE TIME WAR!!! therefore it is time locked, therefore the doctor cannot enter and land on skaro! i mean yes dalek khan did it but he lost his mind afterwards in the episodes when David Tennant was still the doctor (and the best one of them all in my opinion). So to any of the ancient whovians if you have an answer please tell me.
That is explained in the Doctor Who Adventure games, since their stories are canon. 'City of the Daleks'

After the new Progenitor Daleks escaped, they travelled to Skaro and rebuilt the Dalek Emperor, their city of Kaalann and later their whole Empire. The Eleventh Doctor discovered that the New Dalek Empire had invaded Earth in 1963. He went to the rebuilt city of Kaalann and discovered that the Daleks had found the Eye of Time, a Time Lord device that helped them alter Earth's timeline. Using the Eye, the Doctor was able to travel to Kaalann when it was ruined and before the Daleks arrived. He managed to sabotage the Daleks' vision, allowing him to deactivate the Eye. The timeline returned to normal and the New Dalek Empire and their invasion of Earth was erased. Skaro was also reverted to a ruined state, as it was before the Daleks arrived.

So we can assume that the time lock around Skaro was/is broken due to these events.
 

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
11,597
0
0
Susan Arendt said:
Of course, none of the Daleks threatening the Doctor at Oswin's door had blasters, so what was there to be scared of? That bugged me rather a lot.
I found the first daleks(from the old series) far scarier then the new ones
 

Dryk

New member
Dec 4, 2011
981
0
0
I noticed a lot of people bitching about the near divorce... it's actually perfectly realistic, happens all the time. In fact being cut loose instead of being talked into a compromise I wouldn't have enjoyed was how my first relationship ended.

T said:
It was an OK episode, but the Amy-Rory relationship subplot felt completely pointless to me and it was another episode of the Daleks completely sucking and failing at everything they do.
Ballerina Dalek is not a failure, he's beautiful :'(

Also Skaro got destroyed by the Hand of Omega in Remembrance but now it's back... okay we can roll with that.
 

Malty Milk Whistle

New member
Oct 29, 2011
617
0
0
bobmus said:
Susan Arendt said:
Ok, red Daleks I'll give you, but orange, blue and yellow? No. Sorry, but no.
Go go Power Ranger Daleks!

OT:
The whole 'You must now destroy The Asylum because of reasons' felt really off to me, there didn't seem to be any real purpose behind it other than a plot device. What was their reason, that it was transmitting music or something? Surely they knew they'd imprisoned a Dalek who thought they were human down there anyway?

And the Daleks allow their human slaves to live now, like the one giving advice aboard the ship? Dunno, all felt a bit odd to me.
Their reason was that if a ship could get in, then millions of insane dalek's could get out.
Not the best for anyone.
 

Crispee

New member
Nov 18, 2009
462
0
0
I thought this was the best Dalek episode since 'Dalek back with Eccleston myself, they stopped being scary when they appeared in huge armies that failed to kill things, I think this was really good for revitalizing them.

Some elements were pretty lazy though, I'll admit that Amy and Rory's relationship troubles was essentially nothing but padding (Also, Rory waited 2000 years for her voluntarily, Amy tried to cheat on him at least once, and trusts Rory less than she does The Doctor. I think it was completely reasonable for Rory to assume he loved her more. :p)

I do like the next twist though with Oswin and all the races on the Universe slowly forgetting about The Doctor. But if they extend the Silence/Exploding TARDIS/River Song subplot for a third series then I'm sure lots of us will be very disappoint. I don't actually care about that plotline anymore because it doesn't seem like any reason they give for killing The Doctor and destroying the Tardis will be enough to justify ending the Universe twice over.

Looking forward to Dinosaurs on a Spaceship tonight though, I can see this episode lacking in subtlety but that's probably not what the writer was aiming for. :D
 

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
5,237
0
0
ritchards said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Could have had his face suckered off, and all his knowledge stolen. He seems to not want that. And it's not like a bunch of angry Daleks couldn't find a way to kill him. Maybe they could just run him over, like a cat in a vacuum, or something.
Reminds me of another point. In Dalek and Doomsday, a time traveler touching the Dalek (or Dalek device) allowed them to regenerate themselves. I was half-expecting something similar to happen on the planet.

BehattedWanderer said:
That's a really interesting idea. The Oncoming Storm meets himself, and sees what he himself is like.
Just what, or 'who', do you think the Doctor saw as his greatest nightmare in God Complex anyway? ;)
Crazed mad Dalek regeneration? Sounds fun and full of scared Doctor.

And honestly, I'm really hoping it's his youngest self, him as a child (a proper child, not a Timelord child), and he remembers everything he was running from.
 

Tallim

New member
Mar 16, 2010
2,054
0
0
Malty Milk Whistle said:
bobmus said:
Susan Arendt said:
Ok, red Daleks I'll give you, but orange, blue and yellow? No. Sorry, but no.
Go go Power Ranger Daleks!

OT:
The whole 'You must now destroy The Asylum because of reasons' felt really off to me, there didn't seem to be any real purpose behind it other than a plot device. What was their reason, that it was transmitting music or something? Surely they knew they'd imprisoned a Dalek who thought they were human down there anyway?

And the Daleks allow their human slaves to live now, like the one giving advice aboard the ship? Dunno, all felt a bit odd to me.
Their reason was that if a ship could get in, then millions of insane dalek's could get out.
Not the best for anyone.
It's not like sane Daleks ever accomplished anything anyway. The way to make Daleks scarier is to not have them talk so damn much. They should appear and start wrecking the joint.
 

Malgorath

New member
Jul 13, 2010
155
0
0
Maybe I heard their conversation wrong, but weren't the Doctor and woman who trapped him in the first scene on Skaro? I thought it was still locked in time. I thought the episode was ok, but I saw the ending coming a mile away. And really, why is the next episode going to have dinosaurs in it? That just seems like a cheesy sci fi idea. And why is the Doctor Surprised when he's called the Predator? Tons of his enemies act like he's an angel of death, so why was he so surprised this time?
 

orangeapples

New member
Aug 1, 2009
1,836
0
0
Yeah, that whole "DOCTOR!!! WHO?!?!" part at the end... just... wow that was bad...

And why was The Doctor called "The Predator"? It isn't like he goes out looking for Daleks. He kinda just stumbles upon them. "The Oncoming Storm" made sense since when he showed up, everything they had planned goes flying out the window. Also a predator is designed to hunt their prey. The Doctor has clearly shown he's afraid of what Daleks can do.

Aside from those two things, I quite enjoyed the episode.
 

Monoclebear

Robot enthusiast
Sep 29, 2010
84
0
0
Susan Arendt said:
Of course, none of the Daleks threatening the Doctor at Oswin's door had blasters, so what was there to be scared of? That bugged me rather a lot.
The suckers they have for arms can crush skulls.
 

UsefulPlayer 1

New member
Feb 22, 2008
1,776
0
0
I've watched a little of Tenth Doctor and all of Eleventh Doctor.

I'm pretty sure I saw the episode with the Eleventh Doctor where the elite, white Dalek shows up.

My question is that they make references to how he destroyed his entire race to destroy the Daleks. That sounds terrible. The Daleks come back all the time and he's permanently alone because he destroyed his own race. Now it would have been a good decision maybe, if they actually stayed dead.

I understand the need for the villains to come back, but don't make it a bad decision.

Maybe spoilers would be good, but can someone maybe give me some perspective on the Doctor's decision?
Because I'm probably missing something.
 

lord.jeff

New member
Oct 27, 2010
1,468
0
0
UsefulPlayer 1 said:
I've watched a little of Tenth Doctor and all of Eleventh Doctor.

I'm pretty sure I saw the episode with the Eleventh Doctor where the elite, white Dalek shows up.

My question is that they make references to how he destroyed his entire race to destroy the Daleks. That sounds terrible. The Daleks come back all the time and he's permanently alone because he destroyed his own race. Now it would have been a good decision maybe, if they actually stayed dead.

I understand the need for the villains to come back, but don't make it a bad decision.

Maybe spoilers would be good, but can someone maybe give me some perspective on the Doctor's decision?
Because I'm probably missing something.
No it was just handled horribly in the first few seasons the Doctor ends up calling all the Daleks or all but one about five separate times in the first four seasons and there always was just another bunch of Daleks off on vacation somewhere, at least now it looks like that foolishness is getting dropped and the Daleks are just part of the universe again.
 

thiosk

New member
Sep 18, 2008
5,410
0
0
I won't read this because I'm not ready to start the new season yet.

That said, I'm sure its full of awesome gold, having read the earlier ones.

THANK YOU SUSAN
Butts used to be my favorite.
Now its you.

Thats such a strange statement.
 

Stublore

New member
Dec 16, 2009
128
0
0
Is it worth watching?
Is stopped watching with the travesty of the weeping dalek several seasons ago.
Tom Baker, if he was in his grave would have been spinning after that debacle!
 

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
1,294
0
41
IndianaJonny said:
I enjoyed the "it is offensive to us" spiel from the Daleks about destroying 'beautiful' objects of such hatred (not as a personal concept, just as a further addition to the Daleks' character). I'm not a fan of the slide in depiction from total warrior race to Saturday morning cartoon villians, so something that gave them a bit more venom was appreciated.

The killer-line of the episode was "Perhaps that is why we have never been able to kill you." directed at the Doctor...and then it was just left hanging there, what was with that?
Because the Doctor has no response to the fact that he hates the Daleks so much that he's almost like a work of art to them?


TimeLord said:
Susan Arendt said:
I think it's hasty to assume that it is Oswin, per se, who becomes the companion, and not just the actress playing someone else. When we saw Lalla Ward, for example, she wasn't Romana.
True and Karen Gillan played a bit part in 'Fires of Pompeii' before becoming the companion. But that was years apart and it's literally 3 months until the Doctor gets a new companion. It wouldn't make sense to me to use the same actor for two quite large parts in the same series. But then again who knows what goes through Moffat's mind!
You can add Freema Agyeman to the whole 'in Doctor Who before playing a companion character' list too.
They also took it a step further and made Martha related to her character that died in the Torchwood Tower buy having Martha tell the Doctor she lost a cousin in the Battle of Canary Wharf.
 

Jang

New member
Mar 21, 2009
300
0
0
Huh... I am starting to see a rather recurring theme in episode titles going "[insert something] of the Daleks". like "Victory of the Daleks", "Destiny of The Daleks", "Asylum of the Daleks", "Planet of The Daleks" and so on.
 

saintdane05

New member
Aug 2, 2011
1,849
0
0
Stublore said:
Is it worth watching?
Is stopped watching with the travesty of the weeping dalek several seasons ago.
Tom Baker, if he was in his grave would have been spinning after that debacle!
YOu do know River is no longer a major character, right?
 

SonicWaffle

New member
Oct 14, 2009
3,019
0
0
saintdane05 said:
Stublore said:
Is it worth watching?
Is stopped watching with the travesty of the weeping dalek several seasons ago.
Tom Baker, if he was in his grave would have been spinning after that debacle!
YOu do know River is no longer a major character, right?
And the fandom rejoiced.