Atari Releases First Quarter Financial Results, Faces Doubtful Future

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Atari Releases First Quarter Financial Results, Faces Doubtful Future

Atari [http://www.atari.com/], long a cultural touchstone of the gaming community, has filed its first quarter annual report, showing continued punishing financial losses and putting the future of the company in "substantial doubt."

The company's delayed report indicated a loss of $11.9 million for the quarter, which translated to an $0.89 per share decrease and was significantly greater than the company's loss over the same period in the previous year, when it reported a $7.3 million loss, amounting to a drop of $0.54 per share. The company's annual report, which it filed in September after a separate delay, showed a yearly net loss of $69.7 million.

The report puts the company back in compliance with notice of delisting [http://www.nasdaq.com/] in July as a result of its failure to file all necessary forms on time. Following that notice, Atari asked for and received a filing extension until November 5.

Atari, which has struggled for years under various ownership despite being one of the industry's earliest pioneers, did not hold a conference call to announce its first quarter results, and in its quarterly report, said the company had "substantial doubt about our ability to continue as a going concern."

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
I'm not even sure Alone in the Dark could save them.

Is this EA's lawyers I hear flapping arms in the sky?

Kesash

Jun 4, 2007
DAMN! So much for them putting out new games for the old Atari 800 I have stashed! I guess I'm stuck playing Ultima III on it on 5 1/4 floppy.

Kesash

Jun 4, 2007
Yeah, Mal. Back when Origin Systems (pre-EA buy) would put all kinds of nice swag in the box like a real cloth map and a little pewter ankh.

Nushi

Oct 29, 2007
i'm not sure this is even the original atari, didn't infograms just buy the branding to the atari name a few years ago?