Atari Reveals Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Now this makes me excited! Hopefully BG2 + expansion will be included later to be all one big game (like the mod did).

Turing '88

Feb 24, 2011
Wow, as much as I love BG2, this will be a massive fail*. Firsly, the graphics of Baldurs Gate are already good, I love both games as they rely mostly on artwork which still looks good. Only the 3d sprites could be updated really. Secondly, content wise the originals have too many mods for the "enhanced editions" to replace them.

Basically I cannot see any way for the new editions to be better than the originals. Someone please give me a counter argument... might actually cheer me up!!!

*at least for existing fans.

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
I'd love it to be BG in something similar to Temple of Elmental Evil 3.5 rules and turn based combat.

saito82

Oct 5, 2010
Here is a good link with some great info. It will be both BG1 and 2 with new content. It is going to still use 2E. Will have new characters as well. Also they are going to work on mod support for both and they are trying to make it as one fluid game if they can.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/107296-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-announced.html

saito82

Oct 5, 2010
Lord_Jaroh said:
Now this makes me excited! Hopefully BG2 + expansion will be included later to be all one big game (like the mod did).
It is going to include BG2 and Throne as well as Tales for BG1.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
It's enhanced as in "natural male enhancement", meaning it will be longer, larger, and be more satisfying.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
80Maxwell08 said:
I still wonder what "enhanced edition" is supposed to mean but sure I'll get this when it comes out why not.
It's enhanced as in "natural male enhancement", meaning it will be longer, larger, and be more satisfying.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
i dont really see how this could work on a platform other than pc, unless they changed the game a LOT. please dont let this be another shitty 3rd person rpg. my heart has already been broken when they turned my beloved isometric turn based fallout into a first person shooter

saito82

Oct 5, 2010
00slash00 said:
i dont really see how this could work on a platform other than pc, unless they changed the game a LOT. please dont let this be another shitty 3rd person rpg. my heart has already been broken when they turned my beloved isometric turn based fallout into a first person shooter
They said they are keeping the 2d isometric look so you are safe there

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
saito82 said:
Lord_Jaroh said:
It is going to include BG2 and Throne as well as Tales for BG1.
Really? From what Trent Oster has been tweeting, they were doing 2 games, one for Enhanced Baldur's and one for Enhanced Baldur's 2, and they were looking at ways to link the games...

DeadYorick

Jan 13, 2011
lancar said:
Well, of course it couldn't be anything meaningful like Baldur's Gate 3.
Maybe this retrofitted stuff will spark some new interest in the franchise and they'll actually start working on a sequel.

Miracles can happen...

I don't suppose they'll go the CD Projekt route and offer the enhanced edition for free to those who own the original games?

no?

oh well.
BreakfastMan said:
Not as good as Baldur's Gate III, but it will do... For now. I fully expect and want the original devs to create a kickstarter for III, that will greatly succeed and create a new one. Make it happen, says I!
Bare in mind the reason why CD Projekt made the Enhanced Edition free was because most of it was bug fixes, and tweaks. While there was other stuff they added it would have pissed people off, causing them to resort to piracy to get simple fixes to a game. The same thing occurring with the Witcher 2, except more heavy on the DLC side of things. This is an EE version made 10+ years after the fact. Making it a free patch is referred to as a "conflict of interest". Considering it costed money to make it, we aren't simply entitled to it.

Also WHY would you want Baldur's Gate 3? The original 2 (plus Throne of Bhall) ended off spectacularly, gave an epilogue and ended the story. All making another one would just give us an unnecessarily bad sequel that no one will like.

I mean Kickstarters are good for projects like Wasteland 2, a sequel to a game made 20 years ago no one would make now. But Bioware has moved on completely, and the game ended very well. Theres literally no reason to make a BG3 unless your so blinded by nostalgia you really believe it would be good. Which it wouldn't be.

kyosai7 said:
We ARE getting Baldur's Gate I and II: Enhanced Edition. They're completely remaking the Infinity Engine from the ground up. I just hope we get a better system of D&D, and some better controls, with true turn-based combat. That stupid real-time with pauses nonsense is garbage and prevents me from enjoying the games.
That would be impossible because D&D isn't turnbased. It's round based, and Baldur's Gate as you probably well know runs on the AD&D ruleset practically to the letter.

In D&D, players roll initiative and they progress out of order. Sometimes monsters go in turn in between player characters, and after they all progress, it is referred to as a "round" which is a few seconds of in real time.

Therefore making it turn based would require completely changing the rules of Dungeons and Dragons, and make it into a straight tactical RPG.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Eh, I already have the whole series and have played it thru several times. Unless it?s a really a big improvement I don?t think I?m going to bother buying it again.

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
Not going to be on Steam, so.. there's a significant disappointment. Wasn't even aware they did a re-release for MDK2 because these guys are just unheard of. Feels like they're emulating EA nicely.

DeadYorick

Jan 13, 2011
Freyar said:
Not going to be on Steam, so.. there's a significant disappointment. Wasn't even aware they did a re-release for MDK2 because these guys are just unheard of. Feels like they're emulating EA nicely.
On the contrary it was recently leaked that the store page for BGEE was created, it is just not possible to view it

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Nikolaz72 said:
Lets hope it doesnt get turned into an 4th ed, actionRPG.
I second that fear! As a preferred player of 3.5e, I could never get my head around the labyrinthian ruleset for 2nd ed. Though 2nd ed I could bear with...

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Turing said:
Wow, as much as I love BG2, this will be a massive fail*. Firsly, the graphics of Baldurs Gate are already good, I love both games as they rely mostly on artwork which still looks good. Only the 3d sprites could be updated really. Secondly, content wise the originals have too many mods for the "enhanced editions" to replace them.

Basically I cannot see any way for the new editions to be better than the originals. Someone please give me a counter argument... might actually cheer me up!!!

*at least for existing fans.
Well they aren't making a 3d engine to make the game in that they are completely reworking the current Infinity Engine so basically the graphics will be the same but things like resolution and UI will be reworked. They have said they are working on keeping the code as close to the original as possible so things like mods and saves will be able to be carried over. They are using code from BG2 and it's expansion so everything good about BG2 will be in the original as well. There will also be new content added in. They are keeping the rules the same so that feel will remain. Since they have the source code they can fully do whatever they need to. Odds are these will probably be the better games than the originals but what really depends is pricing and the new content. If they keep the same prices they used for the MDK2 remake ($15) and the new content isn't that good then it probably won't be worth the extra $5 than getting them on GOG. If the improvements are numerous enough though then they will be worth that. Probably doesn't matter that much since I can't believe this won't sell like crazy.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
VoidWanderer said:
Nikolaz72 said:
Lets hope it doesnt get turned into an 4th ed, actionRPG.
I second that fear! As a preferred player of 3.5e, I could never get my head around the labyrinthian ruleset for 2nd ed. Though 2nd ed I could bear with...
It's going to be 2nd edition. They are keeping all the same rules. I wish they would update their freaking news already I had this same problem when they were saying Bioware was announcing something with Baldur's Gate when they have no rights whatsoever to it.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I don't see much need for better graphics. When using high resolution, these games look more visually appealing than many modern games.
What I would like to see is a support for high definition graphics and full voice acting.

I doubt they'll do what CD Projekt did with The Witcher and release an upgrade for those who already have the original games. I don't like the idea paying for games I already bought about 4 years ago.

I might get it if it's on Steam (definitely not from Beamdog) and will cost $5 or less.