Atari's Founder Hopes to Hack Three Years Off High School

Brian Albert

Aug 5, 2011
Atari's Founder Hopes to Hack Three Years Off High School

Nolan Bushnell believes cloud computing can fix the "nightmare" that is modern education.

In what might be confused as a doomsday prophecy, game industry legend Nolan Bushnell described some glaring faults of contemporary American education, including broken computers and maladjusted teachers. The fix, he recommends? A unique, game-based education program delivered via cloud computing technology, similar to what's being used on the modern videogame landscape.

"I've been working on an education project for about 10 years now," Bushnell announced at Cloud Gaming Conference USA, "and it turns out that educating children and computers go together."

This project, known as Speed to Learn, incentivizes learning by providing students with interesting payoffs. Good work could earn one a nap or time with a laser cutter, for example. At an education summit in New York, Bushnell described the program as arcade-style videogames combined with aerobic activity for the purpose of education.

"The whole idea," Bushnell said, "is to give rewards that real kids want to have, and to have school be as chaotic as possible."

Speed to Learn, Bushnell suggested, could ideally be accessed through a cloud network. Current computer situations, however, may not be suited for the task.

"If you go into a class of fifth graders - say there's 30 of them - and they all have computers, I guarantee you that 10-15 percent of these computers do not work. They're virus infected nightmares."

Bushnell added that young students will inevitably - in their curious nature - tinker with and inadvertently damage classroom computers. Cloud technology, he insists, will disconnect the system's administration from the physical machines, allowing an off-site location to handle any technical issues.

"We've been in hundreds of classrooms with 40,000 kids. We are currently teaching subjects 10 times faster. We believe that when we roll this up to full curriculum we'll be able to teach a full career of high school in less than a year. And we think we'll be able to do that by the end of next year."

Painting in broad strokes, the industry veteran pointed out issues with public vs. private school educations, and the role wealth plays in society.

"Our public school is a disaster," he said. "It's creating an underclass that will erode the foundation of our society. The kids who happen to have won the lottery and been born to rich parents can survive. The parents make sure the kids are either in private school or something. The kids who have lost the lottery are being put into schools with dysfunctional teachers."

Right or not, Bushnell's solution could potentially put 15 and 16-year-olds in a college situation usually encountered by adults. It could also get more people into jobs sooner.

Do you think hitting the fast-forward button on education is a smart move?

Sources: Tech Crunch

Venats

Aug 22, 2011
You can definitely teach the basic classes in less than a year, good luck cramming Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and much of History into a year, or their AP equivalents. How do you condense an English Lit class, I'm also curious? It takes time to read books, no matter how you structure the course, and people max out at around 800 wpm, so... not sure how this works.

You know what, I'm confused. How does he plan on cramming the more in depth, thought-requiring classes into a year?

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
Someone's been watching Extra Credits.
That being said, there's a serious problem in "hacking" off years of education. Instead of putting hormone-stricken teenagers with still absolutely no life experience out into the real world where they will inevitably balls everything up for themselves and our future, why not use the extra three years to educate them -more-.

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
Venats said:
You can definitely teach the basic classes in less than a year, good luck cramming Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and much of History into a year, or their AP equivalents. How do you condense an English Lit class, I'm also curious? It takes time to read books, no matter how you structure the course, and people max out at around 800 wpm, so... not sure how this works.

You know what, I'm confused. How does he plan on cramming the more in depth, thought-requiring classes into a year?
I think this is meant for elementary and maybe middle schoolers so that we can have them blow through the basic shit quicker and get to the more complex things faster and possibly better prepared for than the current system would allow. Effectively shaving a few years off the educational process.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Hell yeah! I've been saying this for years. The idea that you take 30 kids and get the to sit still for an hour while some loser talks at them and have them learn anything is archaic and laughable.

There is no reason why each child can't have an individualized curriculum based on their interests that can change daily. You can teach all of the concepts you want in a wrapper that kids are interested in? Want to teach math? Some kids are interested in war so give example of how to calculate artillery trajectories or how military logistics. Some kids are interested in fashion so give them problems relating to retail supply chains or clothing production work.

For people interested in the subject read anything by John Taylor Gatto. All parents please read this book before you inflict public school on your children: http://www.amazon.com/Dumbing-Down-Curriculum-Compulsory-Schooling/dp/0865714487/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315520029&sr=8-1

Venats

Aug 22, 2011
Triforceformer said:
I think this is meant for elementary and maybe middle schoolers so that we can have them blow through the basic shit quicker and get to the more complex things faster and possibly better prepared for than the current system would allow. Effectively shaving a few years off the educational process.
I'll admit to my inexperience with the American Education system (here since late high to college now), but there are just some aspects of teaching that cannot be truncated. Reading, for one, is hard to cut down beyond what it already is because at some point you simply lose many of the details and/or you over burden the reader. Mathematics is a practice enforced through repetition and built upon a solid base, it is also not something I would "be cutting down on". Of course, where I grew up, basic math was taught for all of one year and part of the second, from there it was Algebra, Geometry, and off to infinity that ends with Calculus at a college level. Science takes time to build on too as much of it requires intuitive experience and a solid grasp of basics in order to pursue the more complex.

What classes in the American curriculum could you cut off? I know from my cousin that math is dragged on a bit longer than necessary in its basic levels, and that sciences are started off very vaguely, but the rest is Literature, History, and some electives. Where is there room to cut? I can understand refine to give a better experience and in that way push forward what is taught in high school... but I'm not seeing three years. Three years is a lot.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
If it works? All for it.

Just don't demand 15 year olds enter the job market, or go to college just because they're done high school, they still aren't prepared for that pressure just because they can do calculus.

Mike the Bard

Jan 25, 2010
Those four years of high school to me are seen as a maturing period where teenagers can finally grasp concepts necessary to survive on their own like proper work habits. if you only give them a year to get their shit together before the big leagues then they might be more likely to flunk out of college as they don't know how to handle all of it. I think it would be better to instead of cutting down the high school years from 4 years to 1, to instead use the technology to teach kids more information than we do right now. it would improve the standard of education which would be huge because if a student decides not to go to college then they are still better off than before with this super education where giving them.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I've always thought the only (external) thing that could truly motivate me to do well would be well-designed achievements.

That said, I don't think a year will ever be enough to learn that much stuff. Maybe the interesting bits, but not the whole syllabus.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Hypothetically, if this cut 3 years off High School and people were leaving at 13, what would they do then?

Not everyone who finishes High School chooses further education, some go straight into work or start apprenticeships, would 13-year-olds be allowed to start full time jobs with equal hours and equal pay?

Would these 13-year-olds be exempt from tax or would they be treated the same as any other working adult?

For every potential 13-year-old who finishes school but doesn't go to college, those 3 years have to be accounted for, especially if they can't work in that time. There would have to be a lot of reforms made to accommodate this possibility, not just in the Education System but also Workplace reforms, Labour Laws and Tax reforms.

High School is a great "babysitter" and I can't see other areas of Society leaping at the chance to reform their practices or entire structures so they take responsibility of 13-16-year-olds.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
"Cloud" computing? WHY?!?! Why pay for a service when you could just host the files locally on your own server? I don't get it and I probably never will. My home server works great and I can access it anywhere in the world.

But back OT, while a very admirable goal, using computers to teach is not the be all end all of fixing the American education system. As much as I'd like to see every child excel in school, this country still needs ditch diggers. I believe it's more important they have the know how and social skills necessary to complete the job than sitting them in front of a computer and have them hit keys all day. The real world isn't like that.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
All very interesting, founder of Atari, but could you do something about the job market please? That's a big issue as well.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Yeah great idea, lets create kids that have no idea of how to behave in the work place. In the real world you don't get instant gratification. If you finish the presentation on time you don't get have a nap or play with a laser cutter, you get to do some more work. If you don't do the work you get fired. If you create and eduction system that never imposes any kind of discipline and structure how are the kids going to survive in the adult world?

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
You can already join the army in the US before you can have sex, or vote on what said army will be doing. You can kill people driving a car before you can kill yourself drinking alcohol. I think the priorities are skewed enough that this won't do much damage.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
In order to survive this next mission, you must devolope a large shelter to save refugees from being mass murdered, to do this, you must correctly use archetectual designs (geomitry) so the building can take damage and not fall on itself, while holding off waves of attackers.

Maybe there is money, and educational opperitunities in this...

But then again, if you just got improved teachers, the system would soon fix itself.

Princess Rose

Jul 10, 2011
Brian Albert said:
It could also get more people into jobs sooner.
What? No!

I was all for this up until that. The job market is already saturated with too many people and too few jobs. We don't need people getting into the job market FASTER... that's just going to lead to more unemployment and make it harder on everyone.

Using cloud gaming to improve education? Awesome.

Speeding up High School? Egads.

Turtleboy1017

Likes Turtles
Nov 16, 2008
Venats said:

ShenCS said:
Someone's been watching Extra Credits.
That being said, there's a serious problem in "hacking" off years of education. Instead of putting hormone-stricken teenagers with still absolutely no life experience out into the real world where they will inevitably balls everything up for themselves and our future, why not use the extra three years to educate them -more-.
Because the modern American school system, which I assume is the one he is refering to, is absolute garbage.

We force kids to go through 4 years of high school, many of them taking subjects they frankly could not give less of a shit about. And because of that, they find the easy way out of them, cheating, copying, flaking on work, and they still manage to get B's and A's with this sub par work.

Then the real world comes along and slams them into the ground. This is why college is the difference between a high paycheck and a low one. College teaches you what high school should have, that sometimes in order to get the things you want, you can't just take the path of least resistance.

If he can somehow find a way to incorporate that lesson earlier, while at the same time teaching kids social skills and whatnot, I'm completely in favor of his plan.