Atlus and Nintendo Team Up to Give You Money

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Atlus and Nintendo Team Up to Give You Money

Gamers who register Fire Emblem: Awakening and Shin Megami Tensei IV with Club Nintendo will receive $30 of eShop credit.

If you're a fan of role-playing games and also happen to own a 3DS, then the following might be of interest of you. Atlus the developer and publisher behind popular series like Shin Mega Tensei and Persona, has recently announced a limited time offer that could net you money to spend in Nintendo's eShop. Beginning on the July 16th, the release date for the highly anticipated Shin Megami Tensei IV, consumers who register both SMT IV and Fire Emblem: Awakening with Club Nintendo will be given $30 worth of credit to spend as they please. Both digital and retail versions of the games are eligible.

This offer represents a unique bit of collaboration between Nintendo and Atlus. It's also arguably pretty smart and potentially beneficial for both parties. Fire Emblem: Awakening made its mark when it launched, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122726-Fire-Emblem-Awakening-Breaks-Franchise-Sales-Records>breaking sales records for its series. That being the case, there's a considerable base of Awakening owners for whom this offer could be the necessary nudge that convinces them to buy Shin Megami Tensei IV. Likewise, gamers who had planned on buying Atlus's upcoming RPG could potentially be convinced to go back and purchase Awakening if they skipped it at its release.

Not surprisingly, there are some catches to this deal. Firstly, you'll need to complete a survey after the registration of each game. More importantly, the deal comes with a time limit. Gamers intent on taking advantage of this offer will need to do so before August 31st. This means you'll probably need to buy Shin Megami Tensei IV at full price instead of waiting a few months and then ordering a used copy on Amazon like we know you were planning to do. That said, Shin Megami Tensei IV is looking to launch on the safe <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/15/4332806/japan-review-check-shin-megami-tensei-iv-re-revelations-hd>side of excellent, so it would probably be a good game to invest in any ways.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
Out of all the buy-these-games-get-x promotions Nintendo has ever done, this one is by far the best one they've ever done. I bought Fire Emblem on its release day and SMT4 is already preordered, so I'm excited to be basically given money for games I would have bought anyway. Plus, the $30 credit is a lot more flexible than having to choose from a limited list of games like previous Nintendo promotions.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
This is great. Certainly makes me that much more likely to buy SMT IV. I already have Awakening, and I prefer to buy 3DS games from the eshop anyway, so I'm not worried about paying full price.

I was on the fence about this because the only SMT game I've played was Strange Journey, which was admittedly pretty darn good. But if this deal is as good as it seems, I'll definitely be getting it.

Great marketing scheme, totally worked on me.

Scribblesense

Jan 30, 2013
Was on the fence about SMTIV, but now I must have it! This way I can pick up something like Project X Zone for cheap.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
wait wait wait wait they are going to GIVE me almost enough to buy another 3DS game o.0 for buying a game is was gonna get anyway?

fucking

sold

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
Sweet! I love being paid to do what I was already planning on doing. I hope I can save the credit for a while; there's not really anything else I want right now. This is a very smart promotion, IMO, cuz if I'm not mistaken, Awakening sold like hotcakes. This will likely embiggen the fanbase for the non-Persona SMT games.

Elthion22

May 22, 2009
Presumably this is so people begin associating the franchises so when the crossover game comes out people are less surprised but I'm excited regardless.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Haha, I recently got a 3DS XL just for these two specific game. I shall be making use of this opportunity for sure.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
This is awesome. Of all the four 3DS games I will own by that date! Guess I lucked out XD

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
TizzytheTormentor said:
SMT IV is coming, so this will be awesome! I also bought Fire Emblem: Awakening on eShop, so happy days!

So how exactly do you register them?
Club Nintendo (it's probably worth signing up to anyway, they've been giving a fair amount of games away lately). But SMT IV doesn't even have a release date here in Europe besides a vague Q2/Q3 estimate.

I would imagine this promotion will see it's way to the EU based on the So many Games and Monster Hunter promotions that both existed here recently.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
As long as it counts Fire Emblem: Awakening registration from before this event I'm good on this, was gonna get SMT4 anyway.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Ah, if only Atlus didn't hate Europe, then maybe we could get in on this, too.
true enough, but we got buy three, get one free and give away Monster Hunter 3U for free to a new 3DS player so I think we had our fill on free shit from Nintendo.

Seriously, though, Atlus, WTF >:C
I need SMT IV. NAO!!!!! (also etrian Odysey :c)

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Consider me nudged. I already own Fire Emblem Awakening and love the SMT series, so this is just icing on the cake.
Also if you pre-order SMT IV, you get a free upgrade to the limited edition box set.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
TheEvilCheese said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
SMT IV is coming, so this will be awesome! I also bought Fire Emblem: Awakening on eShop, so happy days!

So how exactly do you register them?
Club Nintendo (it's probably worth signing up to anyway, they've been giving a fair amount of games away lately). But SMT IV doesn't even have a release date here in Europe besides a vague Q2/Q3 estimate.

I would imagine this promotion will see it's way to the EU based on the So many Games and Monster Hunter promotions that both existed here recently.
I have an American 3DS with SMT IV coming, so all is good.
I sure hope you linked your 3DS to your club Nintendo account BEFORE downloading FE or else there's no registering going on anymore :C