Atlus Announces 3D Dot Game Heroes at a Bargain Price

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Atlus Announces 3D Dot Game Heroes at a Bargain Price

North American gamers will get to experience 3D Dot Game Heroes before the summer, with a pretty low price of entry.

Anyone who knows anything could have figured out that Atlus would be publishing From Software's 3D Dot Game Heroes when it was confirmed for North America by an anonymous source [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95762-3D-Dot-Game-Heroes-Confirmed-for-North-America], and this has indeed turned out to be true. Atlus was that source, and will be bringing the retro-styled PlayStation 3 RPG to the U.S. on May 11, 2010.

Atlus knocked it out of the park by bringing From Software's Demon's Souls to the U.S., and no doubt wanted to nab the more whimsical 3D Dot Game Heroes as soon as it could. The game's "gimmick" is that the world and its characters are made of pixel-like cubes, and it has a gameplay style similar to that of the NES or SNES Legend of Zelda titles. Demon's Souls undeniably proved that there is an audience that wants RPGs on the PS3, though if the mainstream part of that audience is willing to switch from the mature visuals of Souls to the more cartoon-ish visuals of Heroes remains to be seen.

I hope you didn't stop reading yet, because there's one more major piece to this story: 3D Dot Game Heroes will be super cheap, for a PlayStation 3 game anyway. Releasing with an MSRP of $39.99, Atlus has made 3D Dot Game Heroes a must-buy for any PS3 owner. That's right, even if you only bought your PS3 to use as a Blu-ray player, I am telling you to buy 3D Dot Game Heroes.

The true kicker will be when Atlus announces the inevitable pre-order bonus or collector's edition for the game, Atlus being the king of such things. And just because Atlus's press releases often deserve to be shared, here is Atlus PR and Sales Manager Aram Jabbari's take on Heroes:

"The 8- and 16-bit classics many gamers cut their teeth on are magical, down to their blocky sprites and elegantly simple gameplay," mused Aram Jabbari, Manager of PR and Sales for Atlus, while twirling his rattail and wearing a poorly coordinated denim-on-denim outfit. "3D Dot Game Heroes captures all of that legendary charm and more, bringing classic visuals, familar sounds, and a grand sense of exploration and discovery into stunning next-gen realization, all the while giving countless winks and nudges to the fans those iconic games mean the most to. This is pure action-adventure gaming at its finest, a true love-letter to a time-honored genre," he added while putting baseball cards in the spokes of his 10-speed.

3D Dot Game Heroes' official website is available here [http://www.3ddotgameheroes.com/].

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
I have been watching all kinds of videos on this and it looks like it will be a great game and at that price will definitely be getting it day 1

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Demon's Souls is like the most beautifull girl who treats you like sh*t making you want her even more.

Atlus sure is paving a nice little road ahead.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
how does 40 dollars qualify as being a bargain, even if it where an aaa title (i don't say graphic is all that matters, but it does qualify the price tag) it still wouldn't be an bargain, most games cost 50 dollars, sure its cheaper but far from an bargain.

and why would you want to go back to the nes gameplay, it worked back then but its stiff and boring by todays standards.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
swaki said:
and why would you want to go back to the nes gameplay, it worked back then but its stiff and boring by todays standards.
Stiff maybe but not boring or have you never played Contra?

Looks cool and I'm a sucker for Atlus.

Edit: I don't know what I was thinking about writing "Looks like and...".

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
I'm also really looking forward to the character editor. The developer actually released instructions [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/11/05/link_in_3d_dot_game_heroes/] on how to make "Green Hat" - better known as Link. It looks like a lot of fun.

swaki said:
how does 40 dollars qualify as being a bargain, even if it where an aaa title (i don't say graphic is all that matters, but it does qualify the price tag) it still wouldn't be an bargain, most games cost 50 dollars, sure its cheaper but far from an bargain.
Most PS3 games cost $59.99 new. A $39.99 release, or 33% off, is a pretty nice discount. This isn't uncommon for Atlus though - they know they play to a niche audience, and have regularly released games under the normal going rate.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Does this game just scream 'release a level editor' to anyone else?
I mean, it certainly looks like it'll be a fun game. But it just seems to me that this game is begging for some type of RPG making level editor.
But I digress. Great price for what looks like a fun game. 20 bucks off? I'd take that.

GestaltEsper

Oct 11, 2009
Baby Tea said:
Does this game just scream 'release a level editor' to anyone else?
I mean, it certainly looks like it'll be a fun game. But it just seems to me that this game is begging for some type of RPG making level editor.
But I digress. Great price for what looks like a fun game. 20 bucks off? I'd take that.
Maybe. I wouldn't mind that.