Atlus Breaks the Shackles on Persona 5, Reveals Protagonist

Grim Sterling

Dec 27, 2013
I really hope this is one of several characters and not the MC. I like the idea that since it is a side chain that is broken on the website, it will be a series of characters shown leading to the actual MC in time. Atlus likes to throw little twists and traps to the fans, and this falls perfectly in line with that.

If the MC ends up being the character from arena, fine, though in this day and age I'd prefer to see them get away from their old school "main character protag is a blank no-personality shell you cannot really customize". I'd still be ok with not having said customization, but dangit.. with DLC and microtransactions why wouldn't you? :) Atlus seems to love doing reskins as a way to generate content/money quickly and cheaply so I would have expected no less with P5, the most anticipated game of their roster.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Not sure how I should feel knowing that our SMT user group had this news covered a day before the official site got round to it. Still, Neon's always on his shit whenever any updates occur so maybe it's a case of just him being an awesome group owner.

Oh and i'll be stealing this from the SMT user group since it's complete genius

Minato cares not for your broomstick rules.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
He looks... Ordinary.
Then again, he's supposed to be a high school student.

I mean, really? We're really doing this? Talking about the human characters in an SMT game? The whole wide world of fucked up monster designs by the Japanese H.R. Giger known as Kazuma Kaneko... And we're talking about the ordinary human school-going teenager.

I'll stick to discussing *real* character design, like the green chariot-riding penis known as Mara, thank you very much.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Ah, I see Japan has finally upgraded to smart phones. I don't know why, but it always threw me off in p3 and p4 when they whipped out flip phones (even though those games came out in 2007 and 2009)
They came out a year earlier in Japan, so it's not surprising that they didn't have smartphones when the iPhone only came out a year after Persona 3, and Persona 4 was only a year after the original iPhone. Until then smartphones were little more than useless pieces of shit, as much as I don't like Apple and am loathe to admit it.

RaisingDead

Mar 31, 2014
Arqus_Zed said:
He looks... Ordinary.

I mean, really? We're really doing this? Talking about the human characters in an SMT game? The whole wide world of fucked up monster designs by the Japanese H.R. Giger known as Kazuma Kaneko... And we're talking about the ordinary human school-going teenager.

I'll stick to discussing *real* character design, like the green chariot-riding penis known as Mara, thank you very much.
Err... this is Persona, a spin-off series of the main SMT games. You can summon the likes of Mara in the Persona series, but Persona is a lot more focused on human characters than the monsters (Personas) you can summon in-game. Considering that every Persona game had you playing as ordinary human school-going teenagers, and that P3 and P4 had a focus on Social Links, which had you socially interacting with other ordinary human characters (and a fox), I would say that is why there's discussion about a human character in a Persona game.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
RaisingDead said:
Arqus_Zed said:
He looks... Ordinary.

Err... this is Persona, a spin-off series of the main SMT games. You can summon the likes of Mara in the Persona series, but Persona is a lot more focused on human characters than the monsters (Personas) you can summon in-game. Considering that every Persona game had you playing as ordinary human school-going teenagers, and that P3 and P4 had a focus on Social Links, which had you socially interacting with other ordinary human characters (and a fox), I would say that is why there's discussion about a human character in a Persona game.
I...

It was... It was a joke.

I would have thought the cynically snobbish "green penis" remark would've been enough of a hint.

Anyway, yeah, I know what Persona is, I know it's a spin-off, but like a lot of people I still consider it a part of the Megaten series, just like Devil Summoner, Majin Tensei, DemiKids, Last Bible, DDS, Ronde, etc. Seeing as how the (Shin) Megami Tensei series has way more spin-offs than main installments, it's just easier this way. Hell, a lot of the spin-offs still appear with "Shin Megami Tensei" or the SMT logo still on the box, sometimes even in the title. Trust me, I've started with Lucifer's Call (the first SMT title to be released over here) and subsequently hunted down every game of the series starting from the 5th gen consoles that had an english version (thank you imported PS2), so I'm no stranger to the franchise :)

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Irridium said:
I was thinking more along the lines of this.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHH!!!!

*Begins rocking back and forth while mumbling to himself*

Can't sleep... The sheep are going to get me... Can't sleep... The sheep are going to get me...

OT:
At last, a sign of good fortune on the horizon! I can't wait!

And Man

May 12, 2014
The Wykydtron said:
That was awesome. I nearly burst out laughing

OT: Did anyone actually still think that P5 would come out in 2014? I had given up on that months ago

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
I think I read a rumour somewhere that the developers were planning to have a "more realistic" art style for P5. I was afraid they were aiming for photorealism or something. Nice to know the game is as lovingly anime as ever.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
And Man said:
The Wykydtron said:
That was awesome. I nearly burst out laughing

OT: Did anyone actually still think that P5 would come out in 2014? I had given up on that months ago
The quick Elisabeth in the library and the broomstick to Mass Destruction were my highlights. I wish I knew who that character is in the "troll in the dungeon" bit, that looks like it's a killer in-joke.

More seriously, i'm glad they finally stopped with the Persona 4 spin-offs (aside from Arena anyway, sequel that as much as you like, i'm down for another godlike Yosuke Route and more Labrys) and started on the Persona 3 spin-offs instead and actually y'know made a proper Persona 5? I mean i'm a big Persona 4 fan, i've even called it perfect but you know that adding to something perfect risks hurting it, right Atlus? Right?

To one-up you, i'm not really counting on Persona 5 coming out in 2015 over here in the EU, Atlus' current reputation with EU release dates being what they are. I seriously hope they've stopped region locking the NA copies like ArcSys apparently did with BlazBlue Chronophantasma. If one niche, quirky, anime-esque Japanese game developer finally stopped that shit I can hope another follows suit.

Oh and I need to get a PS4 because the Japanese game devs have all been bought out by Sony by the looks of it and I have a feeling the PS3 edition will be sub-par considering how much emphasis they have with the next-gen. For some reason i'm picturing Bayonetta's PS3 edition...

[sub][sub]You had to load the pause menu! What?![/sub][/sub]

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I'm actually really pumped that this is coming out for PS4, finally starting to justify owning that system a little.. I mean sure I don't think it'll make a world of difference but at least I can start building up my library.

fangclaw

Mar 3, 2010
I was kind of hoping it would end with "Welcome to the Velvet Room" even if it would be in Japanese.

ShadesOfNier

May 20, 2013
fangclaw said:
I was kind of hoping it would end with "Welcome to the Velvet Room" even if it would be in Japanese.
Well, we still don't know if Igor is still there so the voice saying that sentence would probably be more important than the face of the Protagonist.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
I don't see how people don't think this guy is the protagonist. His notable silence/timidness, he clearly looks new to the area and he arrives by train. I love how he looks. You can see just a trace of his personality in him and I'm willing to bet his dialogue choices will be be super polite-to-normal.

In regards to having Sho as the protagonist: No chance. Look at him, his entire design screams "fighting game character" at you. Plus he already has a defined background and personality. Atlus just love to have nicknames for all their characters during development and I can bet they included "P5MC" to troll the fanbase, and it worked.

And I'll be calling him Potter-kun aswell.

And Man

May 12, 2014
The Wykydtron said:
The quick Elisabeth in the library and the broomstick to Mass Destruction were my highlights. I wish I knew who that character is in the "troll in the dungeon" bit, that looks like it's a killer in-joke.
I loved the God's Hand part with Neville and Hermione; it just fit so perfectly. And that's Akihiko in the "troll in the dungeon" part