Atlus: "No Plans" to Bring Catherine West

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Atlus: "No Plans" to Bring Catherine West

Atlus' trippy erotic horror Catherine is Japan-only for now.

Ever since we first heard about [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102879-Persona-Creators-Announce-Adult-Oriented-Catherine-for-PS3-360] the "adult-oriented" Catherine from Atlus' Persona team, there has been one consistent refrain from those of us on the other side of the Pacific: Will a game like this ever come out here? Would Catherine's mature themes about sexuality and relationships fly in a society concerned primarily with the welfare of the children?

Unfortunately, it seems that it won't.

In an apologetic statement to BeefJack [http://beefjack.com/news/atlus-no-plans-for-catherine-in-north-america/], Atlus US confirmed that there were presently no plans to bring the game to markets outside of Japan. "Catherine is a Japan-only game and there are no plans for a NA release at this time. Sorry about that!"

While it's tempting to go all Darth Vader [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s] here, keep in mind that just because a company has no plans to bring a game overseas right now, doesn't mean that it won't ever happen. Catherine has done very well in Japan, and has received tremendous amounts of positive press in Western publications. We can still hope that it will happen.

Barring that, we can learn Japanese and import the game, or curl into a fetal ball and sob.

(BeefJack [http://beefjack.com/news/atlus-no-plans-for-catherine-in-north-america/])

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
well, on the plus side if its not released here then I wont have to buy it

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
I don't really get into jrpgs much but...the tone and subject matter of this game really intrigued me. There just wasn't much like it no the shelves as near as I could tell.

Pretty sad about this. Here's hoping things turn around.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I choose "curl into fetal ball and sob".

I was certain that Atlus would be bring it over. I would have bet my cat. I was psyched. I was ready to pre-order both the 360 and PS3 version to support it.

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
Damn, I was definitely interested in this game. Id never pay sixty big ones for it, but Id definitely rent it or borrow it.

York_Beckett

Sep 23, 2010
Now that's just swell... Atlus, I'm disappointed.
Also, why haven't you released Devil Summoner 2 in Europe?

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Hiphophippo said:
I don't really get into jrpgs much but...the tone and subject matter of this game really intrigued me. There just wasn't much like it no the shelves as near as I could tell.

Pretty sad about this. Here's hoping things turn around.
It isn't a JRPG either. More of a puzzle/action game with horror elements.

[small]*sob*[/small]

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
Screw it, I don't even care anymore, i'm learning Japanese and that's that.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Seems pretty dumb that they'd go to the length of making an Xbox version and then not release it outside Japan, given Japan's lukewarm Xbox sales.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
I just got into a few of atlus's RPGs and am having a great time. I'm pretty sure that they will eventually come to their senses and translate the game since it's doing so well in Japan.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Can't say i wasn't expecting this but hey on the bright side i could always go and buy Persona 4... It has been on my to buy list for about a year now and maybe it'll help with the crippling sorrow for the loss of Catherine :(

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Darktau said:
Screw it, I don't even care anymore, i'm learning Japanese and that's that.
Secondened.

Seriously, this is bonkers. They spend so much time marketing it, but have no plans to release it to a wider audience? Way to shoot yourself in the foot, Atlus...

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
Worgen said:
well, on the plus side if its not released here then I wont have to buy it
every silver lining has a cloud!

but seriously, is this really surprising to anyone? i'm disappointed, but not actually surprised.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
I choose "curl into fetal ball and sob".

I was certain that Atlus would be bring it over. I would have bet my cat. I was psyched. I was ready to pre-order both the 360 and PS3 version to support it.
But then HOW WOULD THEY AFFORD TO BRING US ALL THESE WII PARTY GAMES AND NARUTO TIE-IN GAMES?

CLEARLY THAT MUST REMAIN THEIR TOP PRIORITY.

[sub]Thanks, Atlus USA, for backstabbing us all.[/sub]

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
This is probably less a question of them not having an audience for it and more a problem with media/asshat backlash from the sexual themes.

Feb 18, 2009
At least that saves me from bankruptcy, but still, part of me really, really wishes to see this released in the west as well. Only time will tell *crosses fingers*.

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
Saw this coming!

I bet a secret law was passed in Japan that prevents the sale of unique games in Europe and America.

You know what will actually surprise me? If the next Persona actually gets released outside of Japan. Look at the current trend of eastern created games. They have not been crossing the sea.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
Hopefully this means I'll finally get around to playing through a Persona game before this gets here.