Atlus' Rock of Ages is Indiana Jones-Inspired Tower Defense

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Atlus' Rock of Ages is Indiana Jones-Inspired Tower Defense

The developer of Zeno Clash is back with another unique title only it could create.

ACE Team doesn't seem to make normal games. After putting out the uniquely awesome Zeno Clash [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96563-Zeno-Clash-XBLA-Trailers-Show-Off-the-Weird] on both PC and XBLA, the developer alongside Atlus is releasing Rock of Ages, a yet again strangely compelling game where players attack each other's castles with boulders through various periods of art history.

I like ACE Team's style. Why make a normal tower defense game when you can create one about rolling boulders through the Romanticism - Goya, Renaissance, Rococo, and Gothic periods? Each player will use more than 30 different buildings and units, including catapults, trebuchets, and elephants to defend the path to their castle, while the opposite player will be all about smashing these to bits with a giant smiling rock. The game's visual and musical style will apparently fluctuate to change between the aforementioned periods of art (and perhaps others).

Rock of Ages looks like a new take on the strategy/tower defense genre and seems weird until you realize it was made by the development team that had us punch and kick our way through the weirdest creatures ever on the way to beat up a hermaphrodite in Zeno Clash. It'll be playable online for nationwide art-based castle-destroying fun, and is expected to release through digitial distribution in Spring 2011. I can't wait to see what ACE Team comes up with after this one.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
that looks very cool, cant wait to play it

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I'd be sold after 'use a giant boulder to destroy enemy castles', but 'the Bayeux tapestry in playable form' would do better.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
This may actually get me into strategy games. The concept seems solid and it's from the guys who made one of my favorite games (Zeno Clash). Can't wait to check this out in 2011.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
V8 Ninja said:
This may actually get me into strategy games. The concept seems solid and it's from the guys who made one of my favorite games (Zeno Clash). Can't wait to check this out in 2011.
Don't forget that Atlus is also behind the game, and they made all of the Shin Megami Tensei games, Trauma Center and of course, Demon's Souls.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Man, Atlus has been bringing a lot of awesome titles to North America for a good long while now, thanks Atlus!

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
See, I saw that coming together as a tower-defense... and then they launched a giant boulder. XD It's a perfect punch-line in video game form.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
While I do enjoy Tower Defense, the graphical style of that game just isn't my thing. I most likely won't be getting this game.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
They should have a stage set in the modern art world. If only so i could destroy Tracey Emins bed with a giant smiling bolder. Again. And again. And again...

Sep 17, 2009
Hmmm, I wonder if this will become the first video game to be sued by a broadway musical...

OT: I was never much for RTS/castle defense games, looks unique though.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Abedeus said:
V8 Ninja said:
Don't forget that Atlus is also behind the game, and they made all of the Shin Megami Tensei games, Trauma Center and of course, Demon's Souls.
Actually, FROM made Demon's Souls. Atlus only published the game.

That's my nitpick of the day... :)

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Lord_Jaroh said:
Abedeus said:
V8 Ninja said:
Actually, FROM made Demon's Souls. Atlus only published the game.

That's my nitpick of the day... :)
Atlus also apparently only publishes THIS game, too.

But it still has their name on the box.

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
Heres hoping the main theme song will be Rock of Ages by Led Zeppelin. However this incredibly fun. How do you stop the rock though because I never saw the defenders win at any point in that trailer? :S