Atlus Summons Persona 2: Innocent Sin to North America

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Atlus Summons Persona 2: Innocent Sin to North America

Persona 2: Innocent Sin has broken free of Japan's borders for the first time in history.

After Atlus cleverly teased [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110219-Mysterious-Atlus-Email-Hints-at-Retro-Persona-Release] that the PSP remake of Persona 2: Innocent Sin would be coming to North America, the game's announcement has arrived. Persona 2: Innocent Sin is officially coming to North America for the first time ever.

"But I played Persona 2 on the PlayStation back in 2000," you might be saying. Yes you did, good reader, but that was Persona 2: Eternal Punishment [http://www.amazon.com/Persona-2-Eternal-Punishment-Playstation/dp/B00004WLZ7], not Innocent Sin. Each are unique scenarios that have similar themes, but are completely different games, and Innocent Sin remained shackled inside of Japan's borders until now due to themes deemed too racy for localization in 2000.

Atlus dubs Innocent Sin the point where Persona found its identity as a story and character-based game rather than somewhat of a dungeon crawler as seen in the previous Shin Megami Tensei: Persona [http://www.amazon.com/Shin-Megami-Tensei-Persona-Sony-PSP/dp/B001V7UX1W/ref=sr_1_5?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1306254614&sr=1-5]. The game is described as "a dark adventure" following a group of high school students that must discover why cruel rumors are coming to life, learn how to control their powerful Personas, and once again negotiate with demons in battle.

[gallery=252]

The PSP remake features improved graphics, a new interface, new sidequests, the original and a fully remixed soundtrack, and other refinements. After Innocent Sin hits North American shores in fall 2011, it'll mean that every Persona game has been released outside of Japan, so I guess Atlus better get to work on Persona 5 next, eh?

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
I'm glad they're including the original OP in the game as well:

Really looking forward to this, day 1 for sure.

On a related note: Shoji Meguro must be busy as hell lately, doing the soundtrack to Catherine, directing/remixing the soundtrack for this and apparently composing the soundtrack for the P4 anime.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
mireko said:
I'm glad they're including the original OP in the game as well:

Really looking forward to this, day 1 for sure.

On a related note: Shoji Meguro must be busy as hell lately, doing the soundtrack to Catherine, directing/remixing the soundtrack for this and apparently composing the soundtrack for the P4 anime.
If anyone can pull all of that off, he can.
OP: "Fuck yeah!" comes to mind when I heard this news.

RipperSU

Nov 20, 2009
I remember reading about this game back when it was originally out. Doesn't it have Hitler in it? Was that the reasoning behind the Japan only release?

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Fronzel said:
Did they not re-release Eternal Punishment on the PSP?
Haven't heard any plans of remaking Eternal Punishment yet, no.

Innocent Sin (PSP) was only just released this April in Japan, I'd give it a little more time.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
1) Please let it come to European shores as well!

2) I wish i could play psp games on my ps3... tiny screens and awkward controls are not a comfortable venue to experience deeply story driven games. I'd like to do what the PSN store did with certain games like final fantasy, make it playable on the ps3 or the psp.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'll buy it, play it for 25 hours, and never finish it. Like I did with 3 & 4. What? The gameplay grows tedious quickly to me. And narrative alone doesn't pull me through, sadly.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'll buy it, play it for 25 hours, and never finish it. Like I did with 3 & 4. What? The gameplay grows tedious quickly to me. And narrative alone doesn't pull me through, sadly.
This one doesn't have social links, if that's what bored you. In terms of narrative, it sounds more like a less-linear DDS than P4.

[sub]But I never played the original. Correct me if I'm wrong, people.[/sub]

hypovolemia

Mar 25, 2011
I'll definitely preorder this. Thank you, PSP, for your lack of region codes.

mireko said:
directing/remixing the soundtrack for this
I'm still surprised that he not only makes awesome soundtracks, but is also a director. He must be a very interesting person.

Gralian said:
2) I wish i could play psp games on my ps3... tiny screens and awkward controls are not a comfortable venue to experience deeply story driven games.
Personally, I prefer such timesink-games to be portable. I don't like being chained to my TV for 100+ hours. On handhelds I can play these games where ever I want. I like having this bit of freedom. But yeah, awkward controls.

Sober Thal said:
Hopefully that rumor of PSP games coming to PS3 encompass games like this as well. I can always dream, right?
On a (to the rest of my post completely un)related note, I wish I could play Project Diva 2nd on my PS3 as well.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
mireko said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
This one doesn't have social links, if that's what bored you. In terms of narrative, it sounds more like a less-linear DDS than P4.

Aaaaah, damn it, then I'll probably skip it unless it's really all that and a bag of chips. I'm replaying Persona 3 Portable as the girl only because of the social links.

teh_v

Jun 29, 2008
First the re-release of Final fantasy Tactics then the re-release of Tactics Ogre and now this my desire for a PSP is so high right now.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Gralian said:
1) Please let it come to European shores as well!
Dude, PSP is region free. We can get the US version and it runs fine. I ordered Persona 3 Portable on Amazon and played it on my PSP I bought in Holland. We can totally play this, EU release or not. Which makes me really happy.

OT: Are they changing stuff, though? The SMT: Persona rerelease was changed from the original and P3P had some minor tweaks as well. Played the fan-translated version of Innocent Sin already, but will so totally get this. And would totally get Eternal Punishment, if they rerelease that. So what if I've beaten it 5 times already. I'll play it again, dammit! Man, I love Persona.

Gingernerd

Jan 16, 2010
Breakthrough! Can't wait for an EU release. However, Universal media is a beautiful thing. I managed to order P3P in england from a supplier based in england over a month before the official release date. I'll be grabbing this ASAP! Fall 2011! It's so close.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
mireko said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

The social links WERE what bored me! SHUT UP, KOU!