Atlus Summons Persona Sequel, Update, and 2D Brawler

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Atlus Summons Persona Sequel, Update, and 2D Brawler

Persona 4 for Vita and Persona 5 are a go, but Atlus also takes the series in a surprising new direction.

It's a good day to be a Persona fan. Some IPs can go years without a single new entry, but today, Atlus revealed that the quirky Japanese RPG series will get three: an updated re-release of Persona 4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5563-Review-Persona-4] for the PlayStation Vita, a Persona 4-based 2D fighter for the 360 and PS3, and Persona 5, which is still in the earliest stages of development.

The Vita update for Persona 4, with the tentative subtitle "The Golden," looks like a fairly standard upgrade. It boasts a new playable character, more voice-work, new animated cutscenes, and a few gameplay tweaks. More unexpected is Persona 4 The Ultimate In Mayonaka Arena, which pits various Persona 3 and 4 characters against each other in two-dimensional brawls. This type of game represents new ground for the series, but Atlus has entrusted its development to the team behind cult favorite BlazBlue.

The announcement of Persona 5 is probably the biggest of the three, but also has the least information currently available. Most of the regular Persona staff, including the director, character designer, and composer have returned and already completed some preproduction work. Details such as release date and platform are still up in the air.

While there's no word on a Western release for these games yet, Persona has seen respectable sales on this side of the Pacific, so English-speaking audiences can exercise cautious optimism. The Persona 4 Vita release and fighting spin-off will see Japanese releases in Spring and Summer of 2012, respectively.

Source: andriasang [http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/]

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Screens of the fighting game:

By the makers of Blazblue indeed :D.

Scans of The Golden and Ultimate Mayonaka from Famitsu:

The Golden will have a new character named Mari (she is the girl with the striped knee-socks in the scans), 50% more voice acting, more anime cut scenes, customizable outfits (you can see Yukiko wearing a Santa hood in one of the scans) and other epic stuff.

GET HYPE! XD

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT IT! I WANT IT NOW! GIVE IT TO ME GODDAMMIT!

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
i am crying manly tears right now

although i hope that they make a 20th year collection of the first two megaten games for the 3ds or vita soon

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Persona 5 AND Persona fighting game made by Arc system? *drool*

Question about P4 Golden: will I still be able to play as original Persona 4 MC?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Dreiko said:

The Golden will have a new character named Mari (she is the girl with the striped knee-socks in the scans), 50% more voice acting, more anime cut scenes, customizable outfits (you can see Yukiko wearing a Santa hood in one of the scans) and other epic stuff.

GET HYPE! XD
(Your images don't wanna show for some reason!)

OT: This is a good time for Atlus-lovers everywhere.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Dreiko said:

GET HYPE! XD
HYPE GET. Good god, Mari.. I guess Soejima decided to do more sexy stuff after Catherine.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
FalloutJack said:

None of them? I'll reupload and try again.

edit:

Do they show now?

Unorthodoxx

Jan 28, 2009
Atlus....Please just take my money!

If Persona 5 only ends up on PS3 then I'll be making the investment for it, it looks like I just become much poorer.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Dreiko said:
FalloutJack said:

edit:
I think he meant the non-fighting screens don't work, at least for me.

OT: I was just hitting few last Mantras on Digital Devil Saga 1... holy crap, did I mention that there are no Atlus games that I played and didn't like so far? Oo Or at least no Shin Megami Tensei (except for the MMO, too clunky and the UI is killing the game for me...) that were bad.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
a persona 4 remake?well that pretty much figures I JUST got a ps2 so I could play these games (if I can find them) ad then the make a remake on the handheld version I can't even play disgaea 2 because buying the original version would be a waste of money! and I don't even have a psp!

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
Peeeeersooooonaaaaaaa fiiiiiivvvveeee!!!

Jesus på et smørbrød, I hope this won't be a portable release. If I remember correctly, part of the Catherine-experiment was gauging whether HD-projects could be profitable for little Atlus, so here's to hoping that sales have met expectations.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Abedeus said:
Dreiko said:
FalloutJack said:

edit:
I think he meant the non-fighting screens don't work, at least for me.

OT: I was just hitting few last Mantras on Digital Devil Saga 1... holy crap, did I mention that there are no Atlus games that I played and didn't like so far? Oo Or at least no Shin Megami Tensei (except for the MMO, too clunky and the UI is killing the game for me...) that were bad.
Ok, I reuploaded everything else, check again ^^.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
While there's no word on a Western release for these games yet, Persona has seen respectable sales on this side of the Pacific, so English-speaking audiences can exercise cautious optimism.
I think we can be a little less cautious and little more optimistic. Aside from Innocent Sin on the PS1, everything's been localized in the Persona series. That's Persona 1 (localized and re-localized for the PSP), Eternal Punishment, P3, P3:FES, P4, and P3P, plus the hitherto unreleased PSP remake of Innocent Sin.

EDIT: Except for the cell phone game and the social game, but those don't count. Those never count.

Not to mention the fact that Atlus USA has had a pretty localization record when it comes to its parent company's other games. Digital Devil Saga I&II, SMT III&IV, Devil Survivor, Devil Summoner I&II, Catherine.. I'm surprised nobody got angry at them in the US. A bit of a tangent, but Mastiff were way too quick (and generally cowardly) to censor their La Pucelle release, imho.

Dapper Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
Goddamnit Atlus, you keep getting more and more wonderful. One of these days you're going to announce five different Shin Megami Tensei games all uniquely beautiful beyond all of our wildest dreams and my face is just going to melt from the awesomeness.

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
Dreiko said:

GET HYPE! XD
Oh my god, those are genuinely beautiful. You are a god to me right now.