Audiences Love Nerds: Big Bang Theory Renewed For 3 More Years

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Audiences Love Nerds: Big Bang Theory Renewed For 3 More Years

The scientist-centered sitcom will be on the air through at least the 2013-2014 television season.

Leonard, Sheldon, Howard, Rajesh, and Penny will keep up the shenanigans for at least three more years. The Big Bang Theory, currently in its fourth season on broadcast network CBS, has just been renewed, guaranteeing new episodes through 2014. The show revolves around two physicist roommates, their colleagues at the California Institute of Technology, the woman who lives next door, and the wacky hijinks that ensue when the super-smart and the average-smart collide.

Deadline quotes a press release by CBS President of Entertainment Nina Tassler, who joked, "It doesn't take a theoretical physicist to see why this show is a BIG part of our comedy future. From ratings to critical acclaim to pop culture buzz, it's struck a chord on all levels." The coveted 18-49 year old level is where the series strikes the most crucial chord: The Big Bang Theory is the most-viewed scripted series in primetime for that demographic. The show is doing well enough that its new license fee (the amount CBS pays for the rights to broadcast the program) is now upwards of $4 million per episode, which is more than four times the show's current fee.

Warner Bros. produces The Big Bang Theory, and has been able to foray its success into $2 million per episode in the sale of syndication rights. Additionally, the highly successful show recently moved from Monday to Thursday night, shifting to what Deadline calls, "the most lucrative night of television."

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/cbs-renews-big-bang-for-3-seasons/#more-95974]

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
"It doesn't take a theoretical physicist"?
Gordon Freeman? It can't be coincidence!
Half Life 3 plox plox plox gaben is top model and totally not fat.

I wish i knew what this Big Bang Theory is.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
theriddlen said:
"It doesn't take a theoretical physicist"?
Gordon Freeman? It can't be coincidence!
Half Life 3 plox plox plox gaben is top model and totally not fat.

Watch this then: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iyP4YtKm90 one of the many many funny moments in this great show!

OT: Glad to see this show renewed, I love this show!

Jul 22, 2009
I must admit I stopped regularly watching after the second series...

I occasionally watch it but I don't really know the general plot line.

It's okay I suppose, but I can see them eventually killing the series with too many episodes.

Dec 14, 2009
Love this show.

This and and How I Met Your Mother compose the only 2 sitcoms I watch, hell they're part of the small collective of shows I watch TV for at all, along with Top Gear and Blackadder/Fawlty Towers re-runs.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
Good news :)

Sure it's a bit casual at times for appealing to a broader audience, but I personally enjoy it nonetheless, we need something to counter all the Desperate Housewives-style popcorn television which is so full of tropes that you can predict the end from the start of the season.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
theriddlen said:
People spouting the usual drivel alternating with laugh tracks, except this time is about nerds, so as to capture the nerd audience. Historically this has been done with comedies by taking, say, a sci-fi setting and sticking some actual humour in (Red Dwarf, for example), but American shows seem to prefer using a laugh track to tell people they should think something is funny, rather than think of something funny, which seems to work for them.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
theriddlen said:
It's the portal storm triggered by the Doctor when he rebooted the Universe.

Also, Gordon Freeman is the 12th doctor.

\o/

KuwaSanjuro

Dec 22, 2010
I really don't like this show. Sorry but I just find it a very fake idea of what they think a so called 'nerd' is. I remember one episode where they were shown to be geeks because they were fans of Halo 3, 'fans of Halo 3' describes millions of people and really not really geeks seeing they normally go for a more hardcore thing like Half-Life (Sorry that maybe stereotyping of me, bizarre seeing I'm having a go at a show for the same thing.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
There popular because, there different. Try n' name a sitcom where the protaganists are socially awkward fanboys with I.Q over 140. Its also popular because they try to realate to the audience. Doing skits that I've preformed in my life and taking it out of proportion.
I bet one of you have a roomate thats socially stunted and has boundary issues.
Also the writing is quite decent for modern television.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
The Big Bang Theory is stupid but hilarious. I just wish the studio audience wasn't a pack of drunken howler monkeys.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Has it been syndicated yet?

I only started watching recently...
Is there a difference between syndication and licensing it to overseas viewers?