Australia Gets F.E.A.R. 2 After All

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Australia Gets F.E.A.R. 2 After All

Good news from the land Down Under: The Office of Film and Literature Classification has decided that F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin [http://projectorigin.warnerbros.com/projectorigin/index.html] isn't so bad after all, and has awarded it an MA15+ rating.

In late November we found out that F.E.A.R. 2 had been refused a classification [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87694-F-E-A-R-2-Banned-In-Australia] in Australia, forbidding its sale in the country. The R.C. decision was the result of the game's "high-impact" violence, enhanced graphics and realistic behavior of enemies in the game. "The Board considers that the cumulative effect of this type of violence is high and as such cannot be accommodated at the MA15+ classification and the game must therefore be refused classification," OFLC Director Donald McDonald wrote.

But according to a Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment [http://games.on.net/article/4639/F.E.A.R._2_Project_Origin_-_Set_to_scare_Australia_once_again] went to the mat on this one, and actually won. It's unclear whether there was a second review process or an appeal of the original review, but whatever the case may be the OFLC has now apparently decided that the game is alright for teenagers after all, giving it an MA15+ rating for "Strong violence, blood and gore. Moderate coarse language."

"After considering extensive submissions and demonstrations of game play across all levels, the Review Board concluded that the level of violence in the computer game, whilst strong, could be accommodated within the MA 15+ classification," said Trevor Griffin of the Classification Review Board.

The new rating was given despite no changes being made to the game since the original R.C. decision that was issued last month. A WBIE spokesman said, "We're obviously extremely pleased with the result from the Classification Review Board, it's a great result for Warner Bros and fans of the franchise. We always believed in the merits of the game as an MA15+ title, and we went in and argued the game on its merits. We're really really pleased that they came up with the decision that they did."

This little piece of good news doesn't change the fact that Australia's game rating system is inherently dysfunctional, but it's a bit of a day-brightener if nothing else. Now Australians can join with the rest of the world in a more conventional F.E.A.R. 2 vigil: Waiting patiently and hoping it doesn't suck.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Way to go Warner Bros.! It looks like you're good at something besides hosting crappy teen sitcoms on your channel!

This is a great win, especially since the game isn't changed!
Sweet.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
I'm glad that we Aussies get F.E.A.R. 2...now, to completely and utterly ignore it, lest I become an insomniac.

Samah

Jul 7, 2008
Baby Tea said:
They didn't specifically say that. Don't be surprised if they sneak in a little censorship without telling you.

Arkfeller

Nov 14, 2007
"After considering extensive submissions and demonstrations of game play across all levels, the Review Board concluded that the level of violence in the computer game, whilst strong, could be accommodated within the MA 15+ classification," said Trevor Griffin of the Classification Review Board.
What, does that mean that every RC'ed game has to go through 'extensive submissions and demonstrations' just to get through the borders?

Jul 9, 2008
Malygris said:
Am I the only one that caught that? At least call it what most people do (video games), especially if its on consoles! I've actually noticed this with them before.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this game, and although its banning in Australia wouldn't have affected me, I'm happy for my brethren down-under. Lets hope it surpasses the first game! Cheers!

Jul 9, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
orannis62 said:
Malygris said:
Am I the only one that caught that? At least call it what most people do (video games), especially if its on consoles! I've actually noticed this with them before.
F.E.A.R. is still a game primarily for computers, and comes to consoles later - it is by all means a computer game.
Thing is, I've heard them call console games that too. I think they said it about Dark Sector, for example.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
How much money was the classification board payed? Or did they remember that fallout 3 got through even though you can own slaves.

Hey I can jump forums, when did that happen?

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Speaking of which, why are they still called video games?
Because "Video Games" covers all the game that are played on platforms and on computer. Makes it easier than having to say "that console game is the same as that computer game"

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
I'm not saying it's a bad thing that we Aussies get F.E.A.R. 2 (even though I'll probably never play it), but the thing is, in order to get it available at all, it has to be made available to 15-year-olds. It was rated 18+ in the first place for (I hope) legitimate reasons, and lowering the age limit to make it available to those aged 18 and over doesn't strike me as a good thing. Besides, R18+ is more striking than MA15+, to the extent that a parent that would buy an MA15+ game for their 13-year-old child wouldn't buy an R18+ game.

I'm glad that we finally get it, but I'd rather it not be like this...

Jul 9, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Radelaide said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Speaking of which, why are they still called video games?
Because "Video Games" covers all the game that are played on platforms and on computer. Makes it easier than having to say "that console game is the same as that computer game"
I meant since we haven't used the word video since 2003.
What would you suggest, DVD game? It doesn't mean video as in cassette, it means it as in to visual what audio is to sound.

Jul 9, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
I dunno, what about Digital games?
I don't think so, not because it isn't logical, but because its completely superficial. I mean, in my mind, the only reason it changed from "computer games" to "video games" is because, at one point, all games were on the computer. Once consoles came along, changing to "video games" was necessary.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Samah said:
Baby Tea said:
They didn't specifically say that. Don't be surprised if they sneak in a little censorship without telling you.
Yes they did.
Malygris said:
The new rating was given despite no changes being made to the game since the original R.C. decision that was issued last month.

SigmondK

Jul 17, 2008
This just goes to show how very inconsistent the review board has been in the past. They really need to change the system. Granted, since I'm not actually from the country my opinion probably means less then dirt, but it really doesn't make any sense.

Well best of luck to you Aussie gamers on getting a higher classification of games so that you don't have to worry about the refusal of classification status on the more mature titles that get released.