Australia Looking To Filter BitTorrent

Feb 13, 2008
Australia Looking To Filter BitTorrent

Australia's four year plan [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.79074] is trialling peer-to-peer filtering under the head of Senator Stephen Conroy.

The plan was originally thought to only contain the "world wide web," through which people read normal news sites, but Digital Economy Future Directions blog [http://www.dbcde.gov.au/communications_for_business/industry_development/digital_economy/future_directions_blog] reports that Conroy is going after file-sharing applications such as BitTorrent, too.

"Technology that filters peer-to-peer and BitTorrent traffic does exist and it is anticipated that the effectiveness of this will be tested in the live pilot trial," said Conroy.

Senator Conroy was quick to deny implications of internet censorship, however. "Freedom of speech is fundamentally important in a democratic society and there was never any suggestion that the Australian Government would seek to block political content," Senator Conroy said, "In this context, claims that the Government's policy is analogous to the approach taken by countries such as Iran, China and Saudi Arabia are not justified."

I'll leave you with a comment from "Nicko" from the blog: "Minister, you are to Broadband and the Digital Economy what King Herod was to the Bethlehem Playgroup Association."

Source: News.com.au [http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,28348,24833959-5014239,00.html]

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Australia not such a great place to be these days, eh?

Also, I *snrk*'d out loud at that last comment. Susan can verify.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
The Coalition and the Greens are against it, so it will likely fail, due to lack of support in the upper house.

The sooner we can get this idiocy behind us, the better.

Swenglish

Dec 21, 2007
I dunno, isn't Australia the only country with a "censorship minister"? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I reckon that you should start taking care of that.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
OOOOOOOHHHHHHH

See, in the United States we think of "Freedom of Speech" as including political content, not limited to it. But now I understand, from the Senator's comment, that he seems to feel that free speech needs a "better" definition.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
When are politians going to learn that you can't stop geeks doing whatever the hell they want?

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
Britain has that group who censored Wikipedia due to an album cover that was available on Amazon. I'm pretty sure the only reason nothing like this has been successful in the US is because of that pesky First Amendment.

Sorry for Godwining the thread, but can anyone confirm the validity of this quote?

Hitler said:
The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Ha... ha ha ha etc. He really thinks he can filter Bittorrent? Good luck with that... torrents are not a centralised thing, so as soon as he shuts off the big sites like Pirate Bay and Mininova, people are gonna go to the smaller ones... somehow, I guessing instead of 'filter', he means ban.

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
You give the chronic torrenters to little credit, if this did go through is Australia I give it 1 hour and 45 minutes tops before the pirates find a way around it and the all the people who use P2P legally are left in the dust.

Feb 13, 2008
Aardvark said:
Britain has that group who censored Wikipedia due to an album cover that was available on Amazon. I'm pretty sure the only reason nothing like this has been successful in the US is because of that pesky First Amendment.
This is true, but it was rescinded and apologized for later [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87964-Scorpions-Cover-Sets-Off-Internet-Watchdogs-Updated]

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
Skrapt said:
You give the chronic torrenters to little credit, if this did go through is Australia I give it 1 hour and 45 minutes tops before the pirates find a way around it and the all the people who use P2P legally are left in the dust.
i was thinking the same thing...it will take very little time for them to get round this 'filter'.

tbh im not sure he noes what hes talking about, he probably hasnt even looked into the details about how pirates work...

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Aardvark said:
I'm pretty sure the only reason nothing like this has been successful in the US is because of that pesky First Amendment.
Gotta love that thing.

This seems a bit ridiculous to me, but then again, I hate censorship in general.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
This is true, but it was rescinded and apologized for later [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87964-Scorpions-Cover-Sets-Off-Internet-Watchdogs-Updated]
It's still in place, though. There could be repeats at any point in the future. That's the biggest hurdle they have to overcome down here. Getting the thing in place. Once it's in place, it makes all future censorship attempts that much easier to institute.

Feb 13, 2008
Aardvark said:
Sorry for Godwining the thread, but can anyone confirm the validity of this quote?

Hitler said:
The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation.
Whilst Hitler does talk a LOT about children, and the quote is meant to be from "Mein Kampf", I can confirm it doesn't appear in there. If it's from one of his speeches, then it's a lot more difficult to confirm.

Edit: Still checking this, meant to be page 403 in July 1943.

Edit : The original was based on Hitler's words and writen by Rabbi Daniel Lapin, still trying to find confirmation.

Edit : Myth busted : Page 400-410 rely almost on his preference for a flag. Unless the Houghton Mifflin translation has altered the page numbers, the original reference is a Rabbi speaking as if he was Hitler to bring forth his feelings on the Bush administration.

Feb 13, 2008
Aardvark said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
It's still in place, though. There could be repeats at any point in the future. That's the biggest hurdle they have to overcome down here. Getting the thing in place. Once it's in place, it makes all future censorship attempts that much easier to institute.
Nope, not in place.
wiki said:
In December, 2008 the Internet Watch Foundation (IWF), a UK-based non-government organization, added the Wikipedia article Virgin Killer to its internet blacklist due to concerns over legality of the image, which had been assessed as the lowest level of legal concern: "erotic posing with no sexual activity".[24] As a result, people using many major UK ISPs were blocked from viewing the entire article by the Cleanfeed system,[25][26][24] and a large part of the U.K. was blocked from editing Wikipedia due to the means of blocking in use. Following discussion, representations by the Wikimedia Foundation (who host the Wikipedia website),[27] and public complaints,[28] the IWF reversed their decision three days later, and confirmed that in future they would not block copies of the image that were hosted overseas.[4]

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
I received a letter from my local member, after sending in an email, stating my opposition. I shouldn't be surprised that they have a form letter all ready to go that avoids answering the original concern and seems to be, stretched to three pages long, including bullet points, a single query, asking me why I hate children.