Australian Attorney General Calls For Violent Videogame Ban

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Could someone explain how requiring a unanimous vote on things like this makes any goddamn sense?

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
You have my deepest sympathies, Australian gamers.

/sigh

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
SomeLameStuff said:
Oh Australia, keep reminding me why I moved out of you...
lol, this makes 2 of us.
retards for leaders, and now it sounds like they want to imitate the german laws by banning and cutting things out.
makes oyu wonder how idiots can get a job in politics.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
"Simulation, yes - the real thing, no."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't all videogame sex simulated? Maybe if a Kinect game demanded you and your partner get it on to beat the level, it would make sense...but I can't see what's going on here....

Also. One thing that's getting increasingly annoying. Rockstar's games have some of the best and most tragic stories of any medium, ever. I felt more for Niko Bellic and John Marston than I've ever felt for any other character, from films, literature, whatever. And yet...all people seem to take away from these games are "You can hire a prostitute and then kill her." A minuscule, optional part of the game, only in existence because you're free to do what you want...and yet the media treats it as though the series was called Red Light District: Shootin' Hos.
I'm not whining that people are mistreating gaming - I just think it's pretty damn tragic that such fantastic storytelling is being overlooked because Rockstar put freedom in its games.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
I feel so bad that Aussies have to endure complete fuckwads for attorneys general.

Why, precisely, do they need a unanimous vote if everyone is pulling in different directions?

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Greg Smith said:
"I think they should be banned," Smith said in a televised report on Australia's 7 News. "It involves a prostitute giving sexual favors for money to a man in a car, and then when she gets out, he comes out with a semi-automatic rifle and shoots her dead. Now what good does that do anybody?"
Again with the prostitute slaying... what is it with people these people that their obsession with killing prostitutes? They're like a dog with a bone.

Anyone who's played a game like Grand Theft Auto or Saints Row would know that while you can kill prostitutes, it's not a gameplay feature and there's very little incentive for doing so, plus there are far more despicable acts of violence to be performed on far more innocent [small](of the danger)[/small] people if you so wished.

It used to be amusing, but now it's become tiresome that every time Grand Theft Auto is mentioned by any non-gamer, from a politician or news commentator to a stand up comedian or light entertainer, 9 times of 10 killing prostitutes is mentioned in the same breath.

Some people need to drop their obsession with killing sex workers, or at least stop projecting it so much. Furthermore, isn't it funny that you hear about politicians or celebrities using sex workers a lot more than video game developers... so like I said, some people need to shut up and be less obvious with their projection.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Thyunda said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't all videogame sex simulated? Maybe if a Kinect game demanded you and your partner get it on to beat the level, it would make sense...but I can't see what's going on here....
Presumably that means that cut scenes for which they film real people don't include actual sex. Same as with TV, you can't show real sex.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
thaluikhain said:
Thyunda said:

Presumably that means that cut scenes for which they film real people don't include actual sex. Same as with TV, you can't show real sex.
I don't know of any games where this is likely to happen...

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
OK, so checking the Australian government's classification website, Season 3 of The Sopranos, where Ralphie actually kills a stripper, is rated MA15+. So why the double standard?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Thyunda said:
thaluikhain said:
Thyunda said:

I don't know of any games where this is likely to happen...
The guidelines are there for judge new games as well as current ones.

Most likely, they simply copied and pasted much of it from the guidelines for TV which have been round for ages.

antigodoflife

Nov 12, 2009
MA15+
Interactive illicit or prescribed drug use is not permitted.

So Character A can not use Lovan if he has depression or Lithium if he has bipolar (and his doctor is an idiot) or it'll be Rated R - sounds counter-productive to the story.

This is my only problem...

Man, how the hell have I played Haze, Fahrenheit or games similar?

Spygon

May 16, 2009
This is odd as it seems it always sounds like the same response to why games are so bad. I put money one of the anti-18 rated group showed him the video of San Andreas and Carl is in a large green coloured land rover on a hill at night. Then afterwards steps out of the land rover in a grey puffa jacket and shoots the prostitute with a carbine.

I don't know if it happened by accident or was made for that purpose but there is alot of under lying tones in that short video. It takes GTA compellable out of context and for anybody that has not played the series it makes it look like a dark gritty game that murder is the only point of the game.

It is like showing someone the torture scene from Reservoir Dogs the saying yep this is the film industry to someone that have never watched a 18+ film. But it seems some in using this video to change ignorant people minds on gaming.

Just a shame it seems to be working hopefully these guide lines will calm the "games are evil" camp

Disturbed_Smurf

Aug 12, 2011
Oh great, another self-righteous dipstick trying to take away our freedom, as if we haven't got enough here in Australia. Any other countries want to take some..please!?

Gecko clown

Mar 28, 2011
I don't remember this kind of thing ever happening in Britain or Europe. If I'm wrong can someone correct me.