Australian Attorney General Calls For Violent Videogame Ban

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Don't they already do this? I mean, they did censor Left 4 dead. They even banned mortal kombat (a game hardly more brutal than others available).

By banning games on the basis that you think it will somehow encourage people to kill is saying you don't think they can tell the difference between fiction and reality. Way to go Aussies. Why don't you ban drinking and smoking instead? After all, those two things combined have killed billions of people and thats a proven fact!

Dutch 924

Making the impossible happen!
Dec 8, 2010
I don't think these guys are going anywhere anytime soon *sigh*

Maybe the Australian people could band together and build a giant hammer to knock some sense into them

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"I think they should be banned," Smith said in a televised report on Australia's 7 News. "It involves a prostitute giving sexual favors for money to a man in a car, and then when she gets out, he comes out with a semi-automatic rifle and shoots her dead. Now what good does that do anybody?"
Well, nothing worse than the atrocities politicians have done in the past.

Terrara

Jul 1, 2011
Yeah, who needs freedom anyway? The governments surely know better what people should do in their spare time
(trollface.jpg)

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
Congratulations to the turkey-necked politician Greg Smith! While he continues to hold his country back with ass-backward ideas and principles that go against the way the world is shaping out to be, the rest of us will sit back and laugh and laugh and laugh!

Kudos again to you Greg Smith! You sir, are a bona fied jackass!

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
What a dick. And I am getting really tired about the whole "you can have sex with then kill a prostitute" line. People who keep parroting that obviously know nothing about what they are talking about. They just keep repeating that bloody line over and over because they heard someone else say it. All of them neglect to mention that it's entirely optional and the game doesn't give you any reason to do it at all. They also seem to neglect to mention what game it's from! They're just all like "You can do that in these video-game things you know! They're evil!" They have no idea. I really hope the rest of the Australian government see sense and just tell this guy to go fuck himself.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"I think they should be banned," Smith said in a televised report on Australia's 7 News. "It involves a prostitute giving sexual favors for money to a man in a car, and then when she gets out, he comes out with a semi-automatic rifle and shoots her dead. Now what good does that do anybody?"
The old you can have sex with a prostitute and then kill them kneejerk. Is it five years ago again. Am I trapped in a timewarp. It was then that every second media outlet was talking about GTA with the same line for why they were disgusted.

I wish I could do a Daily Show cut to a bunch of old news clip of people being up in arms with GTA and quoting this exact same reason. Since this guy obviously has nothing useful to say other than rehashing the talking points from an overblown outrage from 5 years ago, I have no further interest in what he has to say.

It is odd that it always seems to be New South Wales that are the prudes in Aus, I assume mostly due to Melbourne with their Cricket and Tennis associations. They are a bit uncharacteristic in comparison to the rest of the country. Don't get me wrong, I have been there and it is a lovely place. Just never seen people be so antsy about their lawns, even worse than that in the UK....

The basic point of all of this is now government gets to censor my media when I get to 18 'for my own good'. They can screw off.

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
Disturbed_Smurf said:
Oh great, another self-righteous dipstick trying to take away our freedom, as if we haven't got enough here in Australia. Any other countries want to take some..please!?
Naw, the U.S. is good on those. Maybe we could trade, though? We have several people who want to ban any and all abortions and constitutionally outlaw gay marriage.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Are there any protections of free speech there? I'm curious if anyone tried that angle and I've not been following this.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
Time to throw something other then shrimp on the barbie.

PS: I am aware that Australians don't really say thing like that.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I'm all for keeping kids from playing violent games... but I also believe in having limits...

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Jegsimmons said:
sure doesn't seem like it, hell im doubting half the European countries have free speech now adays.
?
*ahem*
Yes they do.
Also, just in case you thought Australia was part of Europe, it isn't.

OP: *sigh*
I don't really have much to say...

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
SomeLameStuff said:
Oh Australia, keep reminding me why I moved out of you...
My Mind IMMEDIATELY went to something dirty, and I don't know why.

Australia Y U SO CRAZY!