Australian Attorney General Calls For Violent Videogame Ban

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
Scarecrow 8 said:
Sandytimeman said:
Why does yahtzee like living in that country again?
Because in terms of everything else besides this stupid video game debate, Australia is better off than most contries.
except that, hes primary means of income is through GAMES, and he runs a bar centered around GAMES. So it seems like Australia is trying to him out of a job or make his job harder.

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
Sandytimeman said:
Scarecrow 8 said:
Sandytimeman said:
Why does yahtzee like living in that country again?
Because in terms of everything else besides this stupid video game debate, Australia is better off than most contries.
except that, hes primary means of income is through GAMES, and he runs a bar centered around GAMES. So it seems like Australia is trying to him out of a job or make his job harder.
That's a fair point, but he likes to think of it as the 'having the world's nicest beaches' tax.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
"Sexual activity must not be related to incentives or rewards."

Because clearly there are no incentives or rewards related to sex in real life.

Also the GTA example pisses me off. Yes, you're able to pay a prostitute and then kill her afterwards. But does the game tell you to do this? No. Is there a reward for this? No. If anything, the game punishes this by giving you a police star.

IT'S CALLED FREE WILL GUYS. JUST BECAUSE IT'S AN OPTION DOESN'T MEAN THAT THE GAME CONDONES IT.

/ragecaps

Lordbishop said:
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Does Australia even have Freedom of speech?
Yes and No.

'Freedom of Speech' Is an implied right as it's not stated in the Australian Constitution but the High Court interpreted article 19(2) "Freedom of communication on political matters" thus enabled us to slander politicians but speak freely about anything else will resign with the principle of prima facie: The fact is true unless proven otherwise meaning you can be sued for defamation.
Also, idk where the line is drawn in the Australian Constitution, but it's unclear if this could be protected under free speech in the American Constitution anyways. Profanity, defined as offensive speech with no redeeming social value, is not protected under the first amendment. And given the Australian government's tighter morals considering video games, I think they might be more likely to use this distinction to their advantage.

Thyunda said:
"Simulation, yes - the real thing, no."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't all videogame sex simulated? Maybe if a Kinect game demanded you and your partner get it on to beat the level, it would make sense...but I can't see what's going on here....
I also thought this. Do they think people regularly have sex with their consoles or something? And even if they did get it on to beat the level, what are they gonna do? Prevent all couples from having consensual sex ever?

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Is this news? Hasn't this shit been happening in Australia since forever?

mercenator3000

Apr 7, 2009
Okay, I can see wanting to protect kids from violence or other offensive material, but I think this goes a bit far. The biggest problem I have with restrictive rating systems is that a faceless group is dictating what kids are or aren't mature enough to play. This responsibility, in my opinion, should fall on parents.

Giftfromme

Nov 3, 2011
I agree that violent video games should be banned. He is 100% correct and I am absolutely behind him. They can be a bad influence and as such should be banned.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
I'm a little confused by the rating system proposed at the bottom of the article. Does Australia use the ESRB ratings? Is this a different system? Or a new system they're proposing altogether?

Giftfromme said:
I agree that violent video games should be banned. He is 100% correct and I am absolutely behind him. They can be a bad influence and as such should be banned.
For your sake, I really hope you're trolling.

Edible Avatar

Oct 26, 2011
Lorechaser said:
I hear that you can use MS Paint to draw pictures of bad things. We should ban MS Paint.
you, sir, have earned a cookie:

I would'nt eat it though, i got it from a gypsy at the old indian burial ground.
[small](It might have raisens in it >:p)[/small]

OT: I not really worried about a +18 game ban. Even if it passes, it will be repealed when this guy is laughed out of office.

kingmob

Jan 20, 2010
You'd wonder how he would like it if someone came over to his golf course or whatever and started telling him what is 'appropriate' and what is not. I never cease to be baffled by people who want to force their own ideas of what is permissible on others, when there is no harm done to anyone. No one was ever killed because there was an 'offensive' game being sold. what is the logic here?

Also, doesn't Australia have a constitution to protect its citizens from these kinds of people?

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Just what we need. More ferners for the Republicans to blame for a lack of jobs.
Just organise an exchange. Whenever a frustrated Australian gamer moves to America, you send a registered Republican to Australia. And I don't mean one of the cities, just air-drop them in the middle of the wilderness.

OT: I honestly don't know why Australia has such a problem with this issue. It's like they're still trying to cling onto one of the "big issues" that other, bigger countries once dealt with but nobody sent them a memo saying they've moved on.

I mean, how long's it been since they first proposed the R18+ rating? Feels like a fucking lifetime.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ReservoirAngel said:
Just organise an exchange. Whenever a frustrated Australian gamer moves to America, you send a registered Republican to Australia. And I don't mean one of the cities, just air-drop them in the middle of the wilderness.
Australia's so beautiful, though. It'd be a shame to see it raped by the GOP.

Though personally, I kind of want to drop the "No government regulation" conservatives in one of those lawless, third world countries, and see how the free market works out for them. :)

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
You poor buggers, Australia. For what it's worth, we in Britain also know what it's like when a politician betrays you like this. You should come and live with us again, at least your games wouldn't be censored or banned over here.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
"SEX:
Sexual activity may be realistically simulated. The general rule is 'simulation, yes-the real thing, no'."

Where is the game that teleports a hooker into your house for some real sex? Or am I misinterpreting something here?

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
Jamash said:
Greg Smith said:
"I think they should be banned," Smith said in a televised report on Australia's 7 News. "It involves a prostitute giving sexual favors for money to a man in a car, and then when she gets out, he comes out with a semi-automatic rifle and shoots her dead. Now what good does that do anybody?"
Again with the prostitute slaying... what is it with people these people that their obsession with killing prostitutes? They're like a dog with a bone.
I think its a freudian thing..like how preachers who preach about purity end up sleeping with hookers...If they keep harping on about hooker slayings, probably means they have some skeletons in their closets lol.

OT: Im sure im not alone in saying "Fuck you Greg Smith, you massive ****". :D

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Bullshit on his comment about the game.

Hookers don't go far from your car quickly, so a shotgun or full-auto SMG does the trick much better than some fuckin' hunting rifle.

This man is so mis-informed, I cannot take him seriously.