Australian Bishop Stands Against R18+ Rating

StrangerQ

Oct 14, 2009
We... well these guys are threat for all of us if this trend of game hating grows out of small area known as Australia...
things we need are...
1.hackers
2.Cookies
3.hackers who like cookies
4.political party to our side... wait thats already checked
5.sex bomb for that bishop (har har har for pun)
6.in case of violent revolution... assassins...

yes... im being serious about cookies

wtrmute

Jan 21, 2010
Anton P. Nym said:
*sigh* And so it goes... and, to rub salt into the wound, lawmakers are more likely to listen to a ritual cannibal [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transsubstantiation]'s opinion than that of people who actually play the games [http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=cannibal+controversy+%22stubbs+the+zombie%22].

-- Steve
You know, I'm a "ritual cannibal", as well. I also play games. Pulling stereotypes out of our rear ends does not help solve the problem. Writing him a letter respectfully pointing out that our media are already saturated with violence much worse and more easily accessible than most videogames can represent would be a constructive step towards changing his mind. It may come as a shock to you, but bishops are reasonable people you can argue with, so long as you can refrain from acting like a product of the alleged violence-inducing effects of videogames.

It's funny how this thread is full of people threatening violence against people who say videogames engender violence. This provides them with the anecdotal evidence to convince both themselves and the legislative bodies that they are right in refusing the adult classification. So for Pete's sake, people, get a grip!

theSchlub

Mar 24, 2009
I'm catholic and even I think this is a crock. When will these morons learn? Correlation is not causation. There's no commandment that says we can't play or view violent media, in fact some of the most violent and egregious content imaginable can be found in the bible itself! Leviticus gives instructions on how to sell your daughter into slavery, the circumstances necessary to legally beat your slave, advocates killing disobedient children, and other increasingly horrendous "rules". I could go on for hours talking about other stuff, but you get the idea. The church has no business arguing against violence in the media when they are speaking from one of the most violent books in history.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
..South Australia needs a tsunami to hit it. Or at least, one conveniently targeted wherever these ignorant bastards hide out.

On a more serious note.. who gives a flying fuck what a bishop of all people says about gaming? They just hop onto the ultra-conservative bandwagon, and hope not to be shot off and interroga- I mean discussed peacefully with by yours truly.

reciprocal

Jun 4, 2009
Duck Sandwich said:
Wow. Another Jack Thompson wannabe. I wonder if he's even read Leviticus.
Jack Thompson wannabe? Dude, Jack Thompson can't even HOPE to reach the level of the nutjobs we have here in Australia. There's no way Jack will ever have the political clout or support some of the 'thought-crime' secret police bred in Australia have.

We have leaders who want to censor the internet, for goodness' sake! Even the major opposition party partly supports this. It's very near cartoon-villiany!

Sigh... I blame the aging populace for putting all these super-conservatives into power.

Edit: Just thought of something funny: Suppose someone put up a study that lists a country, the main religion practiced in the country and the crime rate in said countries... and then drew the correlation that religion causes crime... and then assigns an age restriction to practicing religion or banning a few outright.

Raptorace18

Dec 3, 2009
I have no faith in the human race. From the blatant hypocrisy of the church, the idiotic behavior of politicians to the 100 times more money the diet industry earns each year than the UN spends on hunger relief. I feel ashamed to call myself human. This only compounds my feelings.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
A bishop who doesn't play games rubs his nose in gamers business? Okay then. I honestly think watching violent movies desensitizes one more than playing violent videogames.

Raptorace18

Dec 3, 2009
theSchlub said:
I'm catholic and even I think this is a crock. When will these morons learn? Correlation is not causation. There's no commandment that says we can't play or view violent media, in fact some of the most violent and egregious content imaginable can be found in the bible itself! Leviticus gives instructions on how to sell your daughter into slavery, the circumstances necessary to legally beat your slave, advocates killing disobedient children, and other increasingly horrendous "rules". I could go on for hours talking about other stuff, but you get the idea. The church has no business arguing against violence in the media when they are speaking from one of the most violent books in history.
You speak words of great truth. If I weren't so opposed to religion as to harbor a simmering distrust for all religious people I could call you a friend.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Is it just me, or is the thought of a devout catholic advocating women's rights in a fictional medium absolutely deliciously ironic?

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
Alright then, Bishop Porteus. Let's assume your logic is correct even though it's not, and go straight to the side point that's more important to you.

How about refusing classification for The Bible?

After all, it has virtually every kind of mature content in it somewhere, not to mention physical threats directed at all those not agreeing with its message.

You can't argue that literature doesn't incite violence, either. You think The Communist Manifesto didn't lead to any conflicts? Since this is mostly about fictional works, how about the harm done by the other religious works that are studied by other religions (works which you mostly believe to be fictional)?

How about we just ban everything mature? After all, that would be fair. But then we'd have to wonder what would happen in a world where people don't know that jumping off a cliff onto sharp rocks will kill you, getting shot doesn't kill you, and having rampant unprotected sex is going to give you AIDS or an unwanted baby.

To me, those results don't seem any more pretty than whatever psychological effects the experience of fictional violence and sex might have on watchers, readers or even gamers. On the contrary, the psychological effects of harsh media are dwarfed by the significance of real world ignorance.

You want your violent text to be sold for its message of salvation? Then I suggest that, because I want my BioShock games to be sold since they criticise the selfish Ayn Rand, on the matter of games, you take that hat of yours and stick it in your mouth. An R18+ rating is fair because that's what every other medium gets. To say anything less is merely to support the blocking of content you don't agree with or like. You know what that's called? Fascism.

Take yours somewhere else.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
The first time I hit a zombie in the head with a sword was creepy, but afterwards I was desensitised to it, yes. That does not mean I'm going to do it in the future, and to paraphrase that Buddhist monk; "Video games are a good stress reliever".

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I'd love to see this research everyone keeps citing, it sounds like they're just arguing points with no actual back-up...

I hope no one's listening to this guy just because he's a bishop, by the way.

ThisIsSnake

Mar 3, 2011
Yes, people should find a pastime free of violence like reading the Bible, no violence in there, or sex, or racism, or incest, or rape...