Australian Christian Groups Collide Over R18+ Ratings

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Australian Christian Groups Collide Over R18+ Ratings

It's a schism for the 21st century: The Australian Catholic Bishops Conference [http://australianchristianlobby.org.au/] has come out in support of the rating as the best way to keep inappropriate games out of the hands of children.

If it's 2010, that means Australia still doesn't have an R18+ rating for videogames, and that means that one of two things happen to every "mature" game that hits the market: It either gets shoehorned into the MA15+ rating, which has precisely the opposite effect intended by R18+ opponents - it effectively puts the game into the hands of kids - or it winds up censored or banned outright. It's a ridiculous situation and one that, like so many things in life that become mindlessly political, has a way of creating strange bedfellows and odd rivalries.

Case in point: The Australian Christian Lobby, which formalized its opposition to R18+ game ratings in makeastand.org.au [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97885-Australian-Christian-Lobby-Joins-the-Fight-Against-R18-Game-Ratings] collects donations, encourages concerned citizens to express their opposition to R18+ game ratings in letters to the editor and to their Members of Parliament and provides links to anti-gaming newspaper articles and similar information.

The ACL also, it turns out, made a pretty ragin' phone call to the Australian Catholic Bishops after the ACB came out in support of extending mature ratings to include videogames. "Our view is that in an ideal world we wouldn't need an R18+ rating, but we live in the real world and you can't ignore the situation," an ACB spokesman told Kotaku Australia [http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/11/the-australian-catholic-lobby-r18-no-game/]. "The fact of the matter is that you can chuck any of these games into Google and you'll be able to find them."

"When we put our submission in support of an R18+ rating, we got a furious call from the ACL, but we said, 'Go and read the submission'," he continued. "It's simply not practical to try and ban all these games. How are you going to ban them? They were a bit angry but such is life."

It's pretty clear that the ACB has a better grip on the reality of the situation than the ACL. Neither group is keen to see R18+ games on store shelves - a position I can understand, if not sympathize with - but the ACL's approach serves absolutely no one. While it gloats over the game industry "shooting itself in the foot," games designed for adults are either given a lowball rating or are simply distributed illegally. Because of that, the ACB says it will stick to its guns despite the anger of the ACL.

"We're talking to the Attorneys-General, and we're going to continue to talk to them," the rep said. "We're saying the same thing to them as we said in the submission. That's basically our view. Certain games - like GTA [http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Auto-IV-Xbox-360/dp/B000FRU1UM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290550414&sr=8-1] for example - they need something a little extra so parents understand the game is not for children."

via: GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2010/11/22/au-christian-groups-still-battling-over-r18]

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
I still find it strange that this censorship Austraila got going isn't frowned upon as un-democratic.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
It times like this I'm proud to be catholic... No wait I'm always proud but this adds to my my pride. Wait is pride a deadly
sin? Damn it. Wait no no no. Ugh I'm so mentaly confused.

Back OT good for the ausies

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I've never understood why anyone wouldn't want to have an R18+ rating anyway...

At least these guys are making sense.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
So uh... Yay Catholics? Is that the right one? Hurray whichever one aren't being the all or nothing idiots.

I'd rather parents got more involved with what their kids do, but I know it can be hard. Australia needs an 18+ rating just so they can HAVE those games out there.

BenzSmoke

Nov 1, 2009
I may be missing something here, but wouldn't an R18+ rating keep these dangerous video games out of the hands of their precious children? How's that a bad thing?

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
See, I'm an Australian, and, to be honest, I'm seriously confused.
I thought our bishops were WITH the ACL, and now that they aren't, I think we might be making progress.
But, making progress here will mean more protests in the streets against this, and I don't want to be nere it when it happens.
Ah well, commom sense is starting to prevail.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
zombie711 said:
It times like this I'm proud to be catholic... No wait I'm always proud but this adds to my my pride. Wait is pride a deadly

It's ok. For us Catholics, guilt and confusion about beliefs is pretty much par for the course.

Haagrum

May 3, 2010
Unfortunately, it looks like this issue is on the back-burner for the immediate future. Our hung parliament is struggling over the planned national broadband network, and there's such fragility in the ruling party's grip on power that we're not likely to get a resolution on the R18+ gaming classification any time soon.

Glad to see some reasoned arguments coming out of the church, though. Such a shame that they tend to get shouted down by the fundamentalists... although I guess that's true in just about every area of life... I think I just made myself sad.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
But we all know what Catholc Bishops want in the hands of children

Sorry, I don't mean that at all. That's my protestant grandfather talking.

Especially as the Catholic Bishops seem to have a startlingly sensible point of view. Go Catholics! Don't stop being right! Usually all we hear about from church groups are what that other group are saying, or the WBC; Christianity gets made to look really bad, but many (if not most, I would imagine) christians have fairly sensible ideas.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Interesting, though I notice neither side is argueing the fundemental right of such games to exist as a free speech issue. Not unexpected though, take allies where you an get them. :)

I wish Australia luck here, but at the moment they aren't the only ones having problem. The US has it's own battles in progress.

We have the whole issue at The Supreme Court right now, and then there is that whole ACTA thing out there too, which while not gaming related is pretty scary.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
BenzSmoke said:
I may be missing something here, but wouldn't an R18+ rating keep these dangerous video games out of the hand of their precious children? How's that a bad thing?
The idea being they're currently not available for sale by default or something.

Regardless, it's interesting to see a religious clash over something one generally expects to see religions oppose (allowing the sale of violent video games).

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
The Australian Christian Lobby, yeeeeuck. They probably hate games even more than I hate them.

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
So then we Catholics know what the rating system does. and Protestants who split from the Catholic church because they wanted free'r speech are... against it? I must go see my Priest he might be able to explain it better...

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
zombie711 said:

Wrath
Pride
Gluttony
Envy
Greed
Lust
Sloth