Australian News Site Makes Hilarious Star Trek Apology

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Australian News Site Makes Hilarious Star Trek Apology

The Australian site News.com.au has issued a five-alarm apology to Star Trek [http://www.startrek.com/] fans incensed over a "poorly-researched" article, acknowledging that there were many Enterprises, Captain Kirk didn't command them all and that Patrick Stewart is indeed a handsome man.

On November 2, News.com.au Star Trek Technical Manual [http://www.news.com.au/technology/haynes-offers-star-trek-fans-chance-to-get-inside-the-enterprise-engine-room/story-e6frfro0-1225946508166] co-writer Michael Okuda as a cool holiday gift for the hardcore Star Trek nerds we all know and love.

Unfortunately for the author of the article, those same Star Trek nerds got pretty riled up over what they perceived as inexcusable inaccuracies in the short, amusing blurb about the novelty gift. "Could this article be any more wrong. The Enterprise-E did not replace Kirks enterprise," the very first commenter, calling himself "Your Mum's Lunch," wrote in a [sic]-filled rant. "The Excelsior class Enterprise-B replaced kirks ship after Kirks ship was lost at the Genesis plant at the hands of the klingons. Upon their return to McKinley station after travelling back in time to get some whales, Kirk and crew were handed command of the enterprise-A, a constitution refit. After which, we saw the enterprise-B come on the scene."

It goes on like that for awhile.

Faced with such rage, News.com.au did the only thing it could: It issued a respectful, heartfelt and extremely thorough apology [http://www.news.com.au/technology/were-sorry-for-claiming-captain-kirk-was-in-command-of-captain-picards-starship/story-e6frfro0-1225947119042].

"News.com.au apologizes unreservedly for the error," the paper wrote after briefly explaining the history of the various Enterprise models. "There was no intention whatsoever to suggest Captain Kirk may have commanded the Galaxy Class Starships Enterprise-D and Enterprise-E."

"Any damage to the Star Trek brand incurred by the use of the term 'hyperspace' is regretful. No malice was intended and a correction to the original article will be made," it continued. "We also agree that Patrick Stewart is a handsome man, a sentiment expressed by several readers."

Hysterically, the apology column actually repeated one glaring error in the original article, referring to the Enterprise as "NNC-1701" rather than the proper "NCC-1701," an oversight that seemed to drive some Trekkies to even greater heights of frothing nerd apoplexy. Unless, of course, it was intentional - but surely a respected online news site wouldn't do something as gauche as trolling its readers, would it?

Regardless, News.com.au covered that base as well in an addendum: "We're also sorry for any errors in this apology."

via: Twitter [http://twitter.com/AllenVarney/statuses/2104284187467776]

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
That's hilarious. Blatently obvious that their stance is "If you suffer from nerdrage over this, you deserve to be trolled. Rly."

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
I am impressed by the obvious humility and goodwill presented by news.com.au

Bravo good sirs. Bravo.

And Patrick Stewart is a very handsome man.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008

A handsome man.

-----------------

OT: Everybody knows that the Enterprise-E was the most badass of them all, anyway. It was an actual warship!

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Professional Trolling; One of the few jobs that we all secretly want but will never achieve unless through miraculous luck.

Oh, and win for Australian news outlets.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Galaxy Class Starships Enterprise-D and Enterprise-E."
THE ENTREPRISE E WAS SOVEREIGN CLASS~!

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU-

-m

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Actually they forgot to give any acknowlegement to Christopher Pike in the history, he was the captain before Kirk and in the pilot! This is just not right, if they are going to do a manual on The Enterprise at least give it's full, accurate history! ... oh my, my rage is overpowering... arghhh! ARGHHH!!!!

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
Matt_LRR said:
Andy Chalk said:
Galaxy Class Starships Enterprise-D and Enterprise-E."
THE ENTREPRISE E WAS SOVEREIGN CLASS~!

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU-

-m
Beat me to it. I was just going to say.

Not that I'm a huge Star Trek nerd or anything, mind. I certainly don't have models of both Enterprises D and E which I can compare at my leisure. Oh heavens no.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009

It's people like this that make me ashamed to be a life long Star Trek Fan....

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
Sheer awesomeness....I have an overwhelming urge to start quoting Shakespeare in the Original Klingon all of a sudden.