Australian R18+ Game Rating Still a "Couple of Years" Away

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Are the Australian politicians aware that Australia is currently a "couple of (dozen) years" behind the rest of the world when it comes to this shit, second only to maybe Brazil?

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
*sigh* just 5 more years till i move to the UK.

Come on America and UK, give us some sympathy, we can't get excellent games like L4D uncensored, or Mortal Kombat, all we get is Human Centipede 2 a sequel NO ONE asked for, and thats banned in the UK. seriously, a film like that somehow passes our censorship, yet we can't play L4D 2 uncensored because it's too closely depicting the murder of human beings.

anyway like all legislation in this country the politicians will only fast track the ones which are important. that and the fact australian government is too focused on fixing the worlds problems. which they shouldn't be. because we elect our governments to RUN the country.

Come on my overseas chums can't you guys do something to aid us?

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Andy Chalk said:
As I understand it, implementing the R18+ rating requires changes to the constitution, and those are an absolute nightmare to put through.
Nah, it doesn't require that... which is just as well because national referenda rarely succeed in Australia.

What it does require is amending the Federal Classification Act and all the subsequent State and Territory Classification Acts in line with it. That's the nice way of doing it.

If the Federal Govt really want to settle the issue in a public shitfight, they would have threatened to withhold federal funding to State government areas of 'related' responsibility until they 'voluntarily' surrendered their rights over media classification. Rudd did that very thing with the Health system.

The problem with doing things the 'nice' way is it leaves way too many opennings for footdragging, position reversal and general playing silly buggers.

Also, what's that Emery bloke talking about with resubmissions? Those already happen, it's how we keep ending up with those 'content modified' titles or, on rare occasions, the classification board just reversing it's decision.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Are the Australian politicians aware that Australia is currently a "couple of (dozen) years" behind the rest of the world when it comes to this shit, second only to maybe Brazil?
i think they are not. also with other things they are behind. when i was forced to move back in 2004, it felt like i was back in the 90s. i surely dont miss this country since i moved to hong kong.

Goldeneye1989

Deathwalker
Mar 9, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
Once again the Aussie Government seems to have the issue Completely Upside down . I mean how topsy tervy is their judicial/legal/parlimetary system that they have to spend so long effectively sat playing with their Dingos? It Fosters resentment from gamers who have had to put up with a Sheepish pro-ratings lobby and the innefectiveness of their government, at the moment if someone wants to play a game uncensored and in its original glory they effectively get treated like a Convict since importing those unrrated or banned games is illegal.

Kangeroos!
Oh well done

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Metalrocks said:
canadamus_prime said:
i think they are not. also with other things they are behind. when i was forced to move back in 2004, it felt like i was back in the 90s. i surely dont miss this country since i moved to hong kong.
Eh? They're not what? You did notice that I put 'dozen' in brackets right?

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
A couple of years? Fuck...

Listen up Australia. I like you, I really do. You have a lot of awesome beaches and you have animals that could kill anyone who tries to fuck with you but... this isn't difficult! It's just adding a rating, it should be resolved in less than a week.

You are making way too big a deal out of it and you need to get your shit together on this.

the.chad

Nov 22, 2010
Meh, any gamers who want to get their game on will do what they always have... order it from overseas =D

As long as that is always an option, I couldn't care less what the government does about ratings.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I'm not surprised. Nothing happens quickly here unless it's bad for Australians.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
First thought:

"Oh, for fuck's sake!"

Second thought:

"No, fair enough. Annoying but fair enough."

It's how bureaucracy works. It's fuckin irritating but it's how it works. As long as it happens.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
It's madness that a country of only 22 million has so many levels of government. As a result, the dicking around time that politicians have is substantially longer.