Australian Senator Chastises Rating Board, Urges it to "Leave Gamers Alone"

Wraithsight

[PREFSTRING:insanity]
Jul 6, 2008
ffronw said:
... to get that treatment from the board - Saints Row 4 and received similar treatment...
Saints Row 4 and what?

SAINT ROW 4 AND WHAT?!

I NEED TO KNOW!

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Wraithsight said:
ffronw said:
... to get that treatment from the board - Saints Row 4 and received similar treatment...
Saints Row 4 and what?

SAINT ROW 4 AND WHAT?!

I NEED TO KNOW!
A rogue tag was blanking something out. Fixed, and thanks for the heads up!

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
ffronw said:
He also called into question the board's reasoning, saying, "All of this operates on the assumption that people who play video games are impressionable children who would play out anything they saw. Yet the internet is now awash with all manner of unpleasant images involving real people, not computer generated [characters], while violent crime around the world is in decline."

"It makes wonder," Leyonjhelm said, "how is it that adults are not trusted to make choices about video games, and yet they are allowed to vote?"

[...]

"Video games do not hurt anybody," Leyonhjelm said, "and the government Classification Board should leave gamers alone."
Quite thusly.

It's somewhat peculiar how we have to rely on random Aussie politicians (or ladies from the American Enterprise Institute) for the occasional word in defense of gaming these days, is it not? As opposed to the people actually working in the industry, for example. Or prominent members of the "enthusiast press".

"U gaiz, if we self-hate hard enough, everybody will respect us soo much!"

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Wow, I almost forgot how divisive Leyonhjelm was.

I respect the guy, don't agree with everything he wants (I like his emphasis on personal freedoms, but he also has the aura of a tobacco company spokesperson). Lord knows we need politicians recognising how dumb the OFLC is and that adults can make their own decisions in regards to fiction. I also discovered that his party won a seat in Western Australia, so this should be interesting. The guy's got in twice now too.

... Plus his party made this handy dandy complaints form:

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
But how can be he a hero to us? He wasn't bashing feminism or \women with colored hair! He didn't even say anything there about immigration or domestic violence policies! He was just straight up defending the medium and informing clueless bureaucrats that they were in fact, clueless.