Australians Hack ATM to Run Doom

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Australians Hack ATM to Run Doom

Sure, most ATMs use some kind of Windows-based operating system, but can they run Doom? Evidently, yes.

A couple of tech wizards over in Australia in pursuit of that age old question (can you run Doom on it?) have managed to hack an Automatic Teller Machine to play id Software's classic first person shooter.

The ATM in question, an NCR Personas ATM, uses a Windows XP based operating system, so it shouldn't be too hard to get the game actually running. What is particularly cool is that the guys have manged to get the ATM's side buttons working as in-game inputs using an i-Pac controller, and are working on remapping the machine's PIN pad too.

Another, slightly more far-fetched goal is to get the ATM's receipt printer to print out proof of players finishing a hard level. Imagine if your ATM would only give you your requested cash if you could manage to beat a level of Doom?

The hack required custom software and logic, including a circuit board, to get working, but its good to know that you can slay demons on pretty much anything these days. For more odd peices of technology running Doom be sure to check out the It Runs Doom [http://itrunsdoom.tumblr.com/] blog.

Source: It Runs Doom [http://itrunsdoom.tumblr.com/]

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Custom logic, huh? People use that a lot in some of the longer running threads here.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
exobook said:
Now all we need to do is get it working on a real ATM
Hehe. As if regular queues wasnt annoying enough. "Sorry sir, you'll get your cash in a moment. Just gonna finish this level."

Goodness.

Scars Unseen said:
Custom logic, huh? People use that a lot in some of the longer running threads here.
Nice.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
The hack required custom software and logic, including a circuit board,
These sort of notes make this a lot less interesting. While I still respect the hardware skills, the meaning of 'hacked an ATM' becomes a lot less relevant in light of 'we added our own parts'. At that point it's less hacking and more 'new computer built on foundation of atm, plays Doom'.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
I posted this on Doomworld several days ago before Escapist or Kotaku posted their stories on it. Still pretty cool to get it running on an ATM.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Scars Unseen said:
This post was by and far the best thing about this article. 10/10 would guffaw again.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The best part is, you don't have to put coins in to the machine to play it, it deducts it right from your bank account!

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
seditary said:
I am so proud of my country right now.
Be even prouder of them for what else they've done. You know those trucks that have the LED billboards on them so that they can show ads while driving? They got Doom to run on that as well. :3

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Atrocious Joystick said:
So yeah, that´s cool and all.

But can it run Crysis?
That's like asking if a Rolls Royce can be made into a convertible.

OT: I find this to be rather funny and awesome. Not the snark, though. That's just mean.

Atrocious Joystick

May 5, 2011
FalloutJack said:
Atrocious Joystick said:

But can it run Crysis?

OT: I find this to be rather funny and awesome. Not the snark, though. That's just mean.
Dawg! I was just referencing the time when running Crysis well was like the benchmark of if you had a bitchin´ computer or not. Ocassionaly you´d see people posting "But can it run Crysis?" when commenting on completely unrelated thing, like a new space probe or something. But now I explained the joke, so it´s a ruined. You know, since my wife left me and took the kids, that joke was all I had left. Wasn´t even a good joke, but it was my joke you know. Sent in the last payment this april so it was all mine.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Atrocious Joystick said:
FalloutJack said:
Atrocious Joystick said:

But can it run Crysis?

Dawg! I was just referencing the time when running Crysis well was like the benchmark of if you had a bitchin´ computer or not. Ocassionaly you´d see people posting "But can it run Crysis?" when commenting on completely unrelated thing, like a new space probe or something. But now I explained the joke, so it´s a ruined. You know, since my wife left me and took the kids, that joke was all I had left. Wasn´t even a good joke, but it was my joke you know. Sent in the last payment this april so it was all mine.
Joker: That's the fatal rule of comedy! You always take the yokes from people who just don't get the joke!

*Tosses Harley out of a building*

I never heard the Crytek joke until now. Sorry.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
What they need to do now is rig it to dispense all cash after the player uses only his fists to kill a cyberdemon.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Neronium said:
seditary said:
I am so proud of my country right now.
Be even prouder of them for what else they've done. You know those trucks that have the LED billboards on them so that they can show ads while driving? They got Doom to run on that as well. :3
Brings new meaning to speed running Doom.

lol

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Not to diminish their work, but I was really hoping to see an ATM in the side of a building running doom, and not a mess of wires inside someone's workshop doing the same. I feel like I was just offered an extra hour in the ball pit.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
most ATMs here run WindowsME. they could run Doom without any additional hardware (though software binaries may be needed)