Australia's FIFA 14 Ad Contains No Actual Soccer

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Australia's FIFA 14 Ad Contains No Actual Soccer

The 2-minute long Australian ad for FIFA 14 contains no gameplay, no discussion of the game's features, and nobody playing soccer.

A marketing team that is either incompetent or brilliant has put together an Australian advertisement for FIFA 14: EA Sport's latest installment in the FIFA franchise. So why am I wasting your time reporting an promotional video? Because despite this ad being for a soccer video game, it contains no gameplay, and no discussion of the game's features. There isn't even anyone playing soccer. It does, however, contain an aerobics routine and a cringe-worthy "Gangnam Style" reference.

The ad starts out like one of those super cheesy "visit Australia" ads from the 80s, and then cuts to local soccer hero Tim Cahill eyeing off a bunch of women doing aerobics. That's pretty much the entire video. It's peppered with a bunch of Australian "sayings" that no-one has said since Crocodile Dundee, and has Xbox controller combinations randomly superimposed over the "work out techniques".

Like I said, I'm about 50% sure that this is just a ploy to go viral (in which case, it's kind of succeeding), but you would think to at least see something soccer related in an advertisement for a soccer game.

What do our other Aussie readers think of this? Did it make you cringe as much as I did?

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09OMPZqUIII]

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
Why is this news?

A lot of beer/clothes/food/perfume/(insert other everyday products here) adverts have nothing to do with the product they're selling too. Why would it be any different with games?

Need I mention the infamous Levis 'Kevin the hamster' advert? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCzsEgUcWfU&feature=player_embedded

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Well, you have to make the product appear interesting, so getting rid of the soccer seems like a bright move :)

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Couldn't make it to the end of that advert.

Considering they got a reasonably famous footballer in there, that can't have come cheap.

Still, I guess if they put gameplay in the advert, people might go "Wow, that looks extremely similar to Fifa 13. Maybe I'll skip it this year".

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Oh god what is this. Kill it. Kill it with fire.

Most of those phrases I could guess at, they haven't been used in over 30 years, but I could guess at their meaning.

But what in the hell is 'bonza'?

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
Oh god what is this. Kill it. Kill it with fire.

Most of those phrases I could guess at, they haven't been used in over 30 years, but I could guess at their meaning.

But what in the hell is 'bonza'?
It's like "grouse". You are right though, nobody says it any more. Furthermore, it was a confusing video.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
as an austrailan I feel offended by this horrible ad it is the most painfull I have ever seen