Author Claims Assassin's Creed Set-Up Was His Idea

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Author Claims Assassin's Creed Set-Up Was His Idea

John Beiswenger is suing Ubisoft for allegedly basing the Animus on his ideas.

With the recent announcement of John Beiswenger [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/9509-Assassins-Creed-III] is trying to do.

Beiswenger contends that the Animus, a genetic memory access machine which stands as the center-piece of the Assassin's Creed games, borrows far too liberally from a similar device he dreamt up in his 2003 novel Link. As his novel was the first to feature specifically "the conception and creation of a link device and process whereby ancestral memories can be accessed, recalled, relived, and re-experienced by the user," he's called dibs. Beiswenger is reportedly [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-18-writer-sues-ubisoft-over-assassins-creed-story] attempting to block the release of Assassin's Creed 3 until the case is resolved.

In the complaint [http://www.patentarcade.com/2012/04/new-case-beiswenger-v-ubisoft-assassins.html], Beiswenger also draws attention to how both Assassin's Creed and Link spend a lot of time talking about religion, the Garden of Eden, assassins, and "good vs. evil" factions attemping to control memory devices.

The immediate question is this: How much do Link and Assassin's Creed really have in common? According to its Amazon description [http://www.amazon.com/Link-Beiswenger-John-L/dp/0741413485/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1334776346&sr=8-4], Link is mostly about a scientific discovery which "suggests that at the functional center of the nucleus of every cell is an atemporal Particle of zero mass and infinite capacity for memory a biological singularity [sic]. The same Particle is a component of every cell in the body. It is the "fabric of the soul.""

The description continues: "The author lets the reader be present right alongside the scientists as they uncover some of the very secrets of Creation, and while test subjects are taken back in time to recall ancestral memories, a process key to proving the existence of the human soul."

I have to say, this isn't sounding very Assassin's Creed-esque. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Animus is a machine based purely on biology, no? The memories are genetic in nature, rather than being part of some zero-mass particle party. Nobody's on a mission to prove or disprove the existence of the human soul. Religion is mentioned particularly in the first Assassin's Creed because it, well, is set during the Third Crusade.

As for the rest of it, we'll keep an eye on Beiswenger's case to see if it goes anywhere. Have any of you read Link before? A brief preview of its opening pages is available on Amazon, and I have to say that they don't bear any resemblance to Assassin's Creed. Not one assassin becomes comically involved with a well-placed hay bale; the "Link" is a device which allows someone to insert their memories of kayaking into a virtual reality kayaking experience, rather than cut about Venice hundreds of years ago. Link fans, make yourselves known!

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.patentarcade.com/2012/04/new-case-beiswenger-v-ubisoft-assassins.html]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Okay...

Why did he not sue over this 4 Assasins Creed installments ago?

The Knightly Gamer

Jan 5, 2011
gigastar said:
Okay...

you know thats my thought too. If hey came out againts them when the first AC came out I could give him a bit more credit. This just seems like a money grab to me. I mean even if they based it of his book I think its different enough "that's cool idea what if we used that kind of idea in our game"

leahzero

May 20, 2007
Did you guys see the tagline on his novel?

John Beiswenger said:
What better place to look beyond than through the mind of one who saw to that point but no further?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
leahzero said:

John Beiswenger said:
What better place to look beyond than through the mind of one who saw to that point but no further?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
I'm not sure what's weirder. This guy suing now after 4 games, or the fact that I could actually understand that tagline. Don't ask me to put it into simpler terms though, I'm not that skilled with the English language.

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
leahzero said:

John Beiswenger said:

If that got you, you'll love the preview of the first pages. The use of the English language is, well, innovative, to say the least. I don't think the word "caused" has had that much fun since Link was published.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Not a Link fan, nor even heard of it, but that's not that hard to fathom. My question is ninja'd seen here:

gigastar said:
Okay...

If not more, even. There were what, two spin off games? A spin off comic? At least two books? There's been plenty of time to pipe up about this, so other than just getting his name out there by causing hubbub, I see no point to this.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
BehattedWanderer said:
Not a Link fan, nor even heard of it, but that's not that hard to fathom. My question is ninja'd seen here:

gigastar said:
Okay...

If not more, even. There were what, two spin off games? A spin off comic? At least two books? There's been plenty of time to pipe up about this, so other than just getting his name out there by causing hubbub, I see no point to this.
Well... when i wrote that i was referring to 2, Bloodlines, Brotherhood and Revelations.

However a quick factfinding quest to Tvtropes reveals there are 4 released spinoff games, a comic, 4 novels and 3 short films.

The brand had permeated many mediums. Even if its not that great outside of the gaming world, i would find it quite difficult to miss for this long.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
It took him this long sue them?

Besides, this has been done before in many stories, not just him.

He's probobly desperate for money, seeing as how his book is not very popular. He'll lose, I kinda want him to for being an idiot on this.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Right, I'm sure the massive game franchise is stolen from the small book by an unknown author. If he really had a case, he would have done this long ago, he's just trying to drum up sales for his book.

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
The first poster already said what I wanted to say. First game got out 5 years ago. I love how these "I'm suing because you totally stole my idea" people are always kinda late to the party. Like they have been evaluating if the franchise that "stole" from them will become famous enough for them to do some money-grabbing. Also, they all seem to be poor at grasping the fact that most ideas humans have are quite similar. There's probably tons of people who had similar ideas to the Animus; just because two thing might bare some similarities, does not mean one stole from the other. It could simply be a coincidence.

Kinguendo said:
gigastar said:
Okay...

... Might not be a gamer?
Still, AC games are quite well-known even among non-gamers. I know plenty of people who don't play games, but know about Assassin's Creed. But of course, it's perfectly possible that he didn't know about an insanely popular game franchise. However, why on Earth does he believe that Ubisoft has heard of, let alone read, his completely unknown and non-marketed book, which is, above all, only self-published [http://www.infinitypublishing.com/]?

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
after reading some posts and some wheel spinning of my own i think he's suing now since its been so popular its time to jump in an see if they can get some money out of it since maybe his book didn't do as well as he hoped

eventhorizon525

Sep 14, 2010
Honestly, it doesn't reflect well on him that it has taken this long for him to become aware of this series (or that he didn't do anything till the 4th installment). However, it isn't impossible that the ideas could have been lifted, though I doubt they were, and expect any court case that comes of this to support that conclusion.

Simply because it is relatively obscure doesn't mean it isn't possible to steal from it; rather, makes it somewhat easier because it is less likely people will call you out on similarities.

However, the genetic memory thing is far from a unique idea. The Garden of Eden, etc, stuff would be what decides it, but I haven't read his book or played much AC to know for sure.

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
So, some author I've never heard of before claims something well too late to really do anything about it.

ReCaptcha: attila the hun. Dafuq? Does Attila the Hun want to do something about Mr. Beiswenger?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008

Now we sit back and munch our popcorn while this idiot has his ass handed to him by the legal system. *claps hands* Tattoo, moar butter please!!

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
i totally came up with an idea for a teenage wizard in a british school in like 1987. with like gay magic and wands or something. potter owes me billions.