Author Claims Assassin's Creed Set-Up Was His Idea

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:

Now we sit back and munch our popcorn while this idiot has his ass handed to him by the legal system. *claps hands* Tattoo, moar butter please!!
I think you vastly underestimate how stupid the US legal system really is.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Sylveria said:
KeyMaster45 said:

Now we sit back and munch our popcorn while this idiot has his ass handed to him by the legal system. *claps hands* Tattoo, moar butter please!!
i was thinking the same thing

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
tony2077 said:
Sylveria said:
KeyMaster45 said:

i was thinking the same thing
triples.

althou, as pointed out in this article, there are not enough connections to point out a constructive enough connection, so that, EVEN IF they used his idea, the ass creed ideology did not stray far enough from his books ideology.

tl dr: game is too different to be suable. prossecuted. whatever.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Maybe he waited on purpose to get more money? I don't know, I know jackshit about legalities.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
I trust this frivolous little obstacle to my tomahawking redcoats in the face will only be Templarary.
The delay, if any, won't be for long. His timing for the lawsuit already gives his case very little creedence.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
As much as I want to see Ubisoft burn for plagiarism, this is not the case to do it with. "Troll" definitely fits this guy.

Preacher zer0

Jun 13, 2010
Are you kidding me?

This idea is way older than both AC and this idiots book.

I can remember at least 1 Star Trek ToS episode that uses this, a Batman story arc, there's loads... I'm sure people can find countless examples.

Anyway, Ubisoft's crack team of ninja lawyers will most likely crush this guy like a bug.

In the case of Bethsoft Vs the Fallout Poster guy, I am rooting for the guy.
In this case however, I'm rooting for the big game company.

I support the side that's not being a douche.

Also you know... these things can and do happen by pure chance... unless you believe the guy who wrote the novel "Titan" in the 1890s about the worlds largest passenger ship sinking after hitting an iceberg must have traveled into the future to get his ideas, heh.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
cursedseishi said:
What a sad, sad attempt at money-grubbing. Hey may of, MAY OF, had somewhat of a weak case had he restricted himself to Ubisoft. Yet he's throwing his worn out hat at Gametrailers too? And for what you may ask? For showing some videos of Assassin's Creed.

He may as well of tried suing Al Gore because the internet had videos that harmed his "unique" ideas.

I'm not surprised though, from the look of things the guy is a literary hack. Heck its obvious he isn't making any money off these books to begin with, looking at the covers of them, he's probably having his kids throw things together in Microsoft Paint.

Also his website? His website? Don't get me started on that...! It may not be the worst thing I've witnessed, but with all the random pictures shoved in there, he might as well just use a facebook account for his site.

Also, my Captcha has a few words on this, it "have an inkling" this suit is gonna fail, hardcore.
"Have" is a word. It sounds similar to "of" in hasty speech, but in text, the non-cringe-inducing practice is to write "may have" instead of "may of".

I know I sound like a grammar nazi here, but this is probably my first or second post in all my time at the Escapist where I pick at someone's grammar. Your post made me feel obligated to say something.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Oh for fuck's sake. This IP warmongering is killing efforts at creativity. "OMG I had the idea FURST!" If everyone went by that logic Tolkein's estate would have prevented the development of 90% of fantasy having been some of the first material to, for example, make elves tall and ethereal. Culture is built on re-purposing ideas.

And that's not even to begin on the fact that two people can come up with the same thing separately.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
after 4 great games, now he suddenly wants to sue them?

never heard of this book and AC goes in a totally different direction with the story. this idiot will make him self to an idiot. maybe his book dint do well and thought he will get more attention/sales that way.

well, lets see how he can compete with a multimillion company who can afford lawyers that will drag his sorry ass in to the dirt.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Beliyal said:
The first poster already said what I wanted to say. First game got out 5 years ago. I love how these "I'm suing because you totally stole my idea" people are always kinda late to the party. Like they have been evaluating if the franchise that "stole" from them will become famous enough for them to do some money-grabbing. Also, they all seem to be poor at grasping the fact that most ideas humans have are quite similar. There's probably tons of people who had similar ideas to the Animus; just because two thing might bare some similarities, does not mean one stole from the other. It could simply be a coincidence.

Kinguendo said:
gigastar said:
Okay...

Why did he not sue over this 4 Assasins Creed installments ago?
... Might not be a gamer?
Still, AC games are quite well-known even among non-gamers. I know plenty of people who don't play games, but know about Assassin's Creed. But of course, it's perfectly possible that he didn't know about an insanely popular game franchise. However, why on Earth does he believe that Ubisoft has heard of, let alone read, his completely unknown and non-marketed book, which is, above all, only self-published [http://www.infinitypublishing.com/]?
While it is quite likely that he knew of the series, I'd say it's equally likely that a non-gamer wouldn't know about the sci fi, ancestors memories side of it. They'd just think it's a game about some assassin stabbing dudes.

That's, of course, beside the point, because I seriously doubt the asscreed guys actually did read his book.

As another aside, I don't like the way this news article is written, almost half of it is devoted to saying that the stories aren't about precisely the same thing, ignoring the fact that the opening line states that the lawsuit is mainly about the animus, and the rest is irrelevant. I know this is a gaming site, so you will naturally side with the gaming side, but you don't have to be quite so biased about it.

But still, the guy probably doesn't really deserve anything from this lawsuit and probably won't get anything. I'm off now anyway, gotta work on my game about a company that implants memories into peoples minds in lieu of going on holiday. Should be out Q3 2013

6SteW6

Mar 25, 2011
It's amazing how, on his Amazon page, all these people decided to write a review on the same day (April 18, 2012) about the lack of talent the author posseses and mediocrity of this book. It's also amazing how it seems to coincide with the release of this article online.

So glad to see factual, non biased reviews on amazon from people who have clearly read the material and are totally not fanboys at all. Morons.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
The "story" of Assassins creed really isn't anything to brag about...The whole thing is just one giant mess really. I dare anyone to explain it to me and still sound coherrent

I never liked the idea of the animus machine, it just seemed forced in as a way to squeeze out more sequels, and guess what? That's exactly what they've been doing every year.
AC never holds any weight to it. For one, the difficulty is laughably easy and two, everything is just a "dream" (oh, I'm sorry: Memory) so what exactly is compelling me to keep playing? Certainly not the characters, Desmond is about as bland as cardboard soup (wait thats unfair, even soup can be interesting).

krection

Offensive Muggle
Jun 12, 2011
Really? Sue Ubisoft at a pretty convenient fucking time right? Brilliant plan you dumbass.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
just reminded me of this case, that there was also an idiot who tried to sue the music band "nightwish" for the song "eva", because he said the melody has been stolen from his song. that guy is from finland just like nightwish and no one knew this guy.
and the funny thing is, tuomas, who created nightwish and writes all the music, dint even know this guy and never heard this guys song before.
i can tell you, this guy sounds awful and his song is not even remotely close to "eva".

of course he lost and nightwish was riding in to the sunset.