Author Claims Assassin's Creed Set-Up Was His Idea

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
"Looks at his sci-fi collection"

A genetic memory device hu? I think about 100 people beat you to it.

Dreadjaws

Nov 29, 2011
This sounds a lot like that European city named "Batman" trying to sue "The Dark Knight" producers for using the name. I mean, they only waited half a century or so since the creation of DC's Batman to make the claim, but hey, maybe they were really busy cleaning the Guano or whatever they do at that place.

Why is that these people remember their trademark might have been infringed only after the possible infringer has made tons of money? What lucky timing, huh?

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
FoolKiller said:
Kinguendo said:
gigastar said:
Okay...

Why did he not sue over this 4 Assasins Creed installments ago?
... Might not be a gamer?
That was my reaction.

And while its not quite the same, shouldn't Total Recall writers sue him for having a machine where he can be in a virtual environment or maybe the Matrix for that matter.

Or about reliving past lives... how about Quantum Leap?

Everyone borrows ideas from left right and centre. Should Call of Duty sue Medal of Honor for copying their idea to move from WWII to modern times?
Dude, you are the first person to agree with me... everyone else apparently cannot understand how he has not heard of this one gaming franchise before.

I have played games for 15 years now, a lot of that time my mother has seen the games I play... she couldnt tell you the names of any of them let alone the premise, I dont see how that is difficult to grasp.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Can you really have IP rights to an abstract idea that doesn't exist in any real way? He's basically claiming because he did it first (and I bet he didn't) no one can use a machine like what he wrote in any story from now on in all of history without paying him money.

Like why were no fantasy authors sued by Tolkien? Why didn't Robert A. Heinlein sue anyone for stealing his "space marines"?

yundex

Nov 19, 2009
SkarKrow said:
Toby Kitching said:
oh my god, the first page in the preview...

...but even this caused him to double his grip on the paddle, since the movement of her voice was clearly accelerating away from him to his back as his boat moved faster towards the experience
I've read that sentence 5 times and I still don't understand what he's on about.
Whaaaa? I can see why he's self published.
What's wrong with self publishing? Many best selling authors self publish. There is really no reason not to self publish unless your book is awful. I personally ( I know, anecdotal evidence ftw)know a person who self published his book because they all wanted him to fill his factual story full of bullshit to appease a certain audience.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Well, I havent heard of Link before this article. But from the discription, it doesnt really seem like it has much of a connection to Assassin's Creed.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Any sort of cyberpunk themes are stolen from Neuromancer, and all low-fantasy settings are stolen from Tolkien amirite?

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
For someone I've never heard of before(and who does not even have a wikipedia) he certainly has an interesting bio:

http://www.beiswenger.com/newhome/biography.htm
Mr. Beiswenger has over 40 years of product research, design engineering, product development, manufacturing, product management, general management, marketing and sales experience in high volume consumer and commercial hard goods. He has placed over 65 products into production, monitoring pilot production in the U.S., Ireland, France, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Mainland China.

Mr. Beiswenger is named on over 20 U.S. utility patents, the most recent including color LCD touch display technology, digital alarm clock electronics, fingerprint scanning technology, surgical instrument sterilization and bioterrorism detection technology. He is also named on nine foreign patents and two current U.S. patent applications. A native of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, he studied at Marquette University School of Engineering and at the University of Wisconsin, Whitewater.
gigastar said:
Okay...

Why did he not sue over this 4 Assasins Creed installments ago?
He probably had no idea the game even existed. Not everyone plays videogames or cares very much about videogame news.

rapidoud said:
and all low-fantasy settings are stolen from Tolkien amirite?
You have your fantasies mixed up. High fantasy is fantasy set in a completely different world, like Tolkien. Low fantasy is set in Earth, but has fantasy elements to it, like Twilight.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
I know it's easy to say it's a money grab. Why didn't he complain during the previous games. I think what the problem is, we really overestimate the popularity of games now-days.

Sure, on a gaming site as a gamer, not knowing what Assassin's Creed is would be shocking.

But, then... is he even a gamer? Hell, I'm pretty sure I know people who if you told them Halo 4's coming out, they'd say: "Is that a movie about angels or something?"

Even if he did see an Assassins Creed commercial, that might not even mention one bit of the Animus, or he might skip it immediately.

Who's to say a friend who gamed one day just told him: 'you know, your book has something like the device in a game I've been playing', leading him to look into it and file the lawsuit.

Not that I'm denying that this could be a cash grab, but is Assassins Creed only popular now? Was it a no name with 2, and the side editions?

Is three the only time it could be popular enough to prove it's profitable enough for him to sue to make a large amount of money?

While this probably is different and the Animus probably only has a few things in common, he might think it's enough to be a knock off, even when it's just a coincidence. Hell, maybe they did get the idea from his book. Who knows.

But I don't think it should just be assumed right off the bat, that this is him lieing.

JohnDoey

Jun 30, 2009
Asuka Soryu said:
I know it's easy to say it's a money grab. Why didn't he complain during the previous games. I think what the problem is, we really overestimate the popularity of games now-days.

Sure, on a gaming site as a gamer, not knowing what Assassin's Creed is would be shocking.

But, then... is he even a gamer? Hell, I'm pretty sure I know people who if you told them Halo 4's coming out, they'd say: "Is that a movie about angels or something?"

Even if he did see an Assassins Creed commercial, that might not even mention one bit of the Animus, or he might skip it immediately.

Who's to say a friend who gamed one day just told him: 'you know, your book has something like the device in a game I've been playing', leading him to look into it and file the lawsuit.

Not that I'm denying that this could be a cash grab, but is Assassins Creed only popular now? Was it a no name with 2, and the side editions?

Is three the only time it could be popular enough to prove it's profitable enough for him to sue to make a large amount of money?

While this probably is different and the Animus probably only has a few things in common, he might think it's enough to be a knock off, even when it's just a coincidence. Hell, maybe they did get the idea from his book. Who knows.

But I don't think it should just be assumed right off the bat, that this is him lieing.
Whether or not he is telling a lie is unimportant the fact is the only really connection between the works is tissue paper thin it boils down to machine that can access memory's and it's been done by about 1,500 other authors before him.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
JohnDoey said:
Asuka Soryu said:

Whether or not he is telling a lie is unimportant the fact is the only really connection between the works is tissue paper thin it boils down to machine that can access memory's and it's been done by about 1,500 other authors before him.

"While this probably is different and the Animus probably only has a few things in common, he might think it's enough to be a knock off, even when it's just a coincidence."

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Dreadjaws said:
This sounds a lot like that European city named "Batman" trying to sue "The Dark Knight" producers for using the name. I mean, they only waited half a century or so since the creation of DC's Batman to make the claim, but hey, maybe they were really busy cleaning the Guano or whatever they do at that place.
THAT'S NOT REAL! *scrambles for Wikipedia*

OH MY GOD!

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
I remember a time when Escapist news articles used to be unbiased and fact based. This article starts off in a good way, but the opinionated drivel towards the end makes me cringe in disgust. Time to get back to your roots, Escapist.

xqxm

Oct 17, 2008
Gotta say, the Animus has as much in common with that guys "Link"-thingamabob as the chairs in "The Matrix".

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
yundex said:
What's wrong with self publishing? Many best selling authors self publish. There is really no reason not to self publish unless your book is awful. I personally ( I know, anecdotal evidence ftw)know a person who self published his book because they all wanted him to fill his factual story full of bullshit to appease a certain audience.
Nothing is wrong with self publishing, it was a joke. I understand that many choose to self publish and suceed on the merits of their work, which is a very good thing indeed, defending the integrity of your work without compromise.

But his material reads more like no major publisher got past the first page? I wasn't taking a shot at self-publishing I was taking a shot at the dude sueing Ubisoft.

Also huzzah for anecdotal evidence, it's my favourite kind of evidence. It means I can put stuff in essays without finding a book on it.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
You can't copyright an idea, that just destroys creativity. Maybe if they were blatantly ripping this animus thing from the book...

The article on patent arcade points out that there is a distinction between ideas and expression. Still, the author has a right to sue. I don't see why asscreed fans need to slander and write bad reviews of his book without even having read it.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
Joos said:
I remember a time when Escapist news articles used to be unbiased and fact based. This article starts off in a good way, but the opinionated drivel towards the end makes me cringe in disgust. Time to get back to your roots, Escapist.
I'm with you on this one. If you're going to write an article on something, at least pretend to have researched it. I mean seriously, not a single person here has even read the book or so much as talked to someone who has read the book. Perhaps that'd be a better place to start and not discussing why it took the author so long to notice Ubisoft's franchise. Take a look at yourselves people, jump back a couple steps and approach this with a little less bias please.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
To quote every single Sonic the Hedgehog fan "artist": "ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL!!!!!1111"

You can't copy right a concept, if you could James Cameron could have made billions suing video game companies for ripping of Aliens.

This guy will get laughed right out of court.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
No, it wasn't, shut up, go away.

Congratulations, yet another idiot has absolutely no understanding of copyright law. The guy will go to court and say "they stole my idea" and he'll be laughed right out of it.