Author Joel Rosenberg Arrested

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Author Joel Rosenberg Arrested

Influential fantasy and mystery writer Joel Rosenberg is currently embroiled in a labyrinthine legal battle versus the City of Minneapolis stemming from an alleged felony weapons possession charge. His supporters and fans have established a defense fund and are seeking donations.

Read Full Article

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
:eek:.. I thought that particular series was excellent.

I'm all for positive and affirmative action... but if it's true...is there anyone who would disagree that he should be treated the same as the rest of us would be under the same circumstances?

I think prudence would dictate that we become aware of ALL of the facts before shouting for lenience.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
What are his actual charges? Filming the police without their opinion, and carrying a gun on grounds he's not supposed to carry? But he has permit, and it doesn't exactly sound like he's ignorantly walking about with it. Seeing as he probably his license for concealed handguns, I'm not seeing much felonious action here. A month after the incident, as well? Seems like the local police are in a bit of a lull, and needed a pick me up.

nagi

Mar 20, 2009
While I personally don't support the right to bear arms, - most likely because I'm not from the US - there do seem to be something fishy going on...

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Well at least he can use the 'I know all about all the gun laws in the book, in fact, I WROTE the book!' defense thanks to that 'Everything You Need to Know About (Legally) Carrying a Handgun in Minnesota' piece. And he's got the bloody guy who worked on the law he 'broke' helping him out, I think this'll be a non-case eventually.

I need a bit more information on the specifics before I start taking sides on this one.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I hope he sues the hell out of the city after the charges get dismissed. Cops really do think they get to harass and harm anyone who embarrasses them.

And for you kiddies reading this please take 30 minutes of time and watch this video, it could save you YEARS of hardship later in life.

darkknight9

Feb 21, 2010
His wife was falsely arrested and put under a court order to stay away from her own house. Joel and a good lawyer ripped the department a new one and they don't like being shown up.

At all.

Ever.

The department spokesperson, Palmer, is pushing paper ever since he and a partner shot dead a local 90 pound woman in her home. She was backed into a corner armed with a knife. And they shot her.

And, again, they don't like being shown up.

At all.

Ever.

There are plenty of good folks in Minneapolis wearing the uniform and carrying the badge. But much like oxygen in the mountains, it starts thinning out the higher up you climb.

Now, Joel might be in a heap of trouble if he didn't know that there was still an "operational" court room on the third or fourth floor of city hall, but if not, the city of Minneapolis is again showing its ability to kick itself in the behind. But I didn't actually say that because they don't like being shown up.

At all.

Ever.

Rensenhito

Jan 28, 2009
What were his wife's charges? That's what I want to know. Get down to the roots of it all, and things might become clearer.

darkknight9

Feb 21, 2010
rembrandtqeinstein said:
And for you kiddies reading this please take 30 minutes of time and watch this video, it could save you YEARS of hardship later in life.
There really is no better vid to watch than both parts of this. Good show rembrandtgeinstein.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
They want to crush him because he embarrassed them, but it's funny, because they set themselves up for an even greater fall now.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
stonethered said:
There's something fishy going on here. Those Cops sound like they're after him.
I wouldn't think after him so much as confused about how much power the city has to restrict things.

For years the Port Authority in Portland declared it was illegal to carry a firearm into any port. Problem is the state actually has pretty clear definitions on where and when it is legal and illegal to carry a firearm, and the Port Authority over stepped it's authority in this matter. Yet the law backed them for years.

The same thing happened in Sea Tac, they never officially declared it illegal, but many believe you cannot carry a firearm onto the Seattle airport. While you cannot carry a firearm into an unsecured area, if you can carry a firearm into unsecured areas of airports is entirely up to the state you are living in and how the laws are set up in those states. Traditional open carry states (states that have protections in their constitutions) that set up bans in this nature soon find out that the ban is unconstitutional. It's easier not to carry a firearm into the airport then to try and fight an illegal law so nobody does, but that doesn't make the law anymore valid.

The same things happening now in ports, and other similar areas was already covered once before with the passing of the Firearms Owners Protection Act in 1986. It was discovered that the BATF, was far and away abusing powers given to them and well over 75% of the prosecutions for firearms they had made where unconstitutional. This was mostly at a time when automatic firearms where banned, and the some 175,000 preban automatic weapons where closely watched by the BATF, who used their wide ranging powers to harass and illegally confiscate those weapons in an attempt to completely remove them from the public. Even through not a single one of the 175,000 legally obtained and licensed firearms was ever used to commit an illegal act.

I bring up that act specifically because bands of firearms in unsecured airport areas (especially parking lots) goes completely against the Safe Passage section of that act. Yet they are willing to ignore what is already established federal law with what would essentially be a restrictions imposed by an agency of the goverment (the TSA controls security in airports).

I have had difficult dealings with the police on three occasions due to firearms. Once being actually arrested, and nearly having my vehicle impounded because a sheriffs deputy couldn't let me show him my carry permit. Once for not telling the officer who stopped me that I had a firearm; which is not required, and frankly not a great idea, how would you react if someone you just stopped for a traffic infraction suddenly told you they had a firearm, how are all the cop shootings at traffic stops not supposed to spring to mind? The last time was for having a pistol in the parking lot of a bank, again not illegal, carrying the firearm into the bank would have been, but the parking lot is a different story. Besides the officer only saw the firearm because I removed it from it's holster to secure in the truck once I got to the bank, I could have walked right into the bank and nobody would have noticed a thing.

All that said I think it likely that they have a local ban on firearms in the city hall that is an illegal law under the Minnesota constitution, or state laws, but never having lived in that state I couldn't be sure. I doubt a person that wrote a book on the firearm laws of the state would make such a mistake through.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Well the law in America is far from perfect but chances are he'll come out on top with his resolve.

So it could be worse. To try the same kind of case in Russia for example...

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
rembrandtqeinstein said:
I hope he sues the hell out of the city after the charges get dismissed. Cops really do think they get to harass and harm anyone who embarrasses them.

Cba watching it, sorry :(

But if it's about a guy saying how much being an honest, law abiding citizen and cooperating fully and making reports to the Police royally fucked up his life then I can attest to it.

I've had more trouble in my life from making police reports against criminal acts perpetrated on my and my families lives and from doing my law abiding duty by testifying against said scumbags than I EVER would have done had I just got them in an alley and slotted the bastards.

DON'T talk to the Police.. it'll all just get worse.

Take revenge and argue it out in court. The Police and juries are stupid and lawyers are lying crooks.

BTW, I live in the UK.

moshineko

Nov 19, 2009
the antithesis said:
I suspect someone is trying to up his book sales.
Spoken like someone never arrested. Even the smallest arrest is such a giant pain in the ass, and so scary, it's not worth any amount of money. Even if you get away scott free, it can ruin your life forever. Just ask any man that's been falsely accused of child molestation. Any woman, either.

I suspect the cops are embarrassed for screwing up in the first place, and were trying to strong-arm him into shutting up.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Only in America can a guy who wrote a book about toting your handgun around can be the good guy in a case.

God bless you, you weird yankee bastards.