Authors you actually like.

Rathy

Aug 21, 2008
I prefer George R.R. Martin and Jim Butcher myself. Oh, and Neal Stephenson. And occasionally some Dostoyevsky... J.R.R. Tolkien is also pretty good.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
Stephenie Meyer. Her interpretation of the Nosferatu mythos easily surpasses even Bram Stoker himself. Her characters are so wonderfully shaped and detailed that you can relate to easily and her plots are thick and detailed, they just suck you in and take you on a blind rollercoaster ride, with no announced stops. She deserves a slew of literary awards for her works and I hope that she continues the series for a long time to come.

CymTyr

Mar 22, 2009
Tolkien, Stephen King, Philip Pullman, Richard A. Knaak, and myself ;) Gotta like yourself if you want to like anyone else...

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I'm not a fan of fiction, but for nonfiction I like P.J. O'Rourke, Jared Diamond, and Alton Brown.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
David Eddings, Michael Scott, Darren Shan, James Barclay, Eoin Colfer, Etc. Etc. The list goes on, but they're the first ones I saw when I looked to my left.
Aardvark said:
Stephenie Meyer. Her interpretation of the Nosferatu mythos easily surpasses even Bram Stoker himself. Her characters are so wonderfully shaped and detailed that you can relate to easily and her plots are thick and detailed, they just suck you in and take you on a blind rollercoaster ride, with no announced stops. She deserves a slew of literary awards for her works and I hope that she continues the series for a long time to come.
*In before flamewar*

Wildrow12

Mar 1, 2009
Alexandre Dumas. To this day, I still get giddy every time I read " The Count of Monte Cristo" or "The Three Musketeers".

There is also a new author,James Hannam, who writes about scientific discoveries in the Middle Ages. His first (and only, thus far) piece, is entitled "God's Philosophers", is pretty damn interesting and has given me renewed interest in the time period. Then again, I'm one of the few nerds that actually LIKES non-fiction/history books, so your mileage may vary.

Archaeology Hat

Nov 6, 2007
Neil Gaiman - Anansi Boys, American Gods, Good Omens (Co written with Terry Pratchett)

Terry Pratchett - Discworld, Good Omens (Co written with Neil Gaiman)

Dan Simmons - Hyperion, The Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, The Rise of Endymion

Phillip K Dick - Do Android dream of electric sheep? A scanner darkly - the former of which turned into Blade Runner (and is better than it)

Stephen King - Salems Lot, Gunslinger

H.P. Lovecraft - Call of Cthulhu, The Colour out of Space, At the Mountains of Madness - even if some of his writings suffer from extreme moral dissonance today, especially those with any racist undertones, Rats in the Walls for example suffers horribly because Lovecraft calls the main character's cat "****** Man", it turns the entire atmosphere of the piece from being "Supernatural horror with undertones of corruption in the Anglo-american upper classes" into "Lovecraft, stop being a Jerk".

I could go on...

Epifols

Aug 30, 2008
Neal Stephenson and Micheal Crichton are awesome writers.

I used to be huge into Tom Clancy a while back, still have a ton of his books, but haven't read one in 4 years.

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
A. Lot.

Asimov, Herbert, Clarke, Card, Ermansons, Strugatskiy, Strugatskiy, Sheckley...

yankeefan19

Mar 20, 2009
The guy that wrote Starship Troopers, Tom Clancy, JK Rowling (until book 6), the guy that wrote The Lightning Thief, and Eric Nylund

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
A Japanese author called Shinichi Hoshi, who nobody has probably ever heard about. (I'm half Japanese and bilingal ;D)

nativebelle

Aug 9, 2009
My favourite is probably Mikhail Bulgakov.
The Master and Margarita is probably one of the best stories I've read, it's funny and ridiculous and well... brilliant.
Joseph Heller for Catch 22. But yeah, Vonnegut, Coupland, Orwell. I don't tend to have a lot of books by the same authors but those ones are canny.

azurawolf

Apr 27, 2009
Kelly Armstrong. I love the book Bitten. It is one of the best werewolf books I have ever read.

3rd rung

Feb 20, 2009
Clarke- 2001, times eye, great writer in fiction or non really one of the best

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Stephen King and Victor Hugo. Every Stephen King book I have read, I very much enjoyed and Les Misérables is just godly. Go read it if you haven't yet.

EDIT: I am trying to remember a book that was about how when people got to a certain age they were killed and that one of the hunters who killed those people reached that age and tried to run away. Sorry if its a little vague, but does anyone know the name of this book or the author? I think its a dystopia type book.