Automakers Fear Campaign To Try and Take Away Your Right to Repair Your Own Car

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
In an attempt to monopolize car repairs and put most mechanics out of work and end generations of people being able to repair their own cars, Automakers have been engaging in fear campaigns to try and scare people into voting against their own best interests. If everyone was forced to be able to only repair their cars at manufacturers dealerships, they would be able to drive up prices of repairs and put independent shops out of business in the process. it is already much more expensive to have your car repaired at a dealership to begin with, and this would price people out of being able to repair their cars at all.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I mean it's a good thing this isn't happening in México yet but crap like this really pisses me off, and people wonder why I think corporations are pure evil.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I mean it's a good thing this isn't happening in México yet but crap like this really pisses me off, and people wonder why I think corporations are pure evil.
If the major automakers get their way they could start doing this as early as 2022. Much of my family are auto mechanics working for independent shops so something like this happening here would put them out of work.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
As the auto mechanic here I just have to say, I really fucking hate the American auto industry, the whole thing is rotten (plus, absolutely fucking hate the push towards homogeneous, shitty crossover vehicles, and then act like the consumers want big, shitty vehicles when those are the only cars you see in commercials, and then they can charge them as luxury items and then you get $50,000 base model pick-up trucks...ugh) . Not only that, after the headache of trying to read legalese, it's so nice to read an article where I actually understood all the terms and such being used.

Anyway, OT: 100%, if you live in Massachusetts vote Yes on that bill, it's great. The problem is here is that not only are you going to get the auto lobbies on it, I would bet (a small amount, I'm not to keen on gambling) money on the big tool companies like Snap-On and Matco and such to also start pushing hard for a no too. They sell some of their diagnostic scan tools for upwards of over $20,000, with the best part being that you still need to update the software on it yearly, which will also cost you thousands of dollars too.

EDIT: Words

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
As the auto mechanic here I just have to say, I really fucking hate the American auto industry, the whole thing is rotten (plus, absolutely fucking hate the push towards homogeneous, shitty crossover vehicles, and then act like the consumers want big, shitty vehicles when those are the only cars you see in commercials, and then they can charge them as luxury items and then you get $50,000 base model pick-up trucks...ugh) . Not only that, after the headache of trying to read legalese, it's so nice to read an article where I actually understood all the terms and such being used.

Anyway, OT: 100%, if you live in Massachusetts vote Yes on that bill, it's great. The problem is here is that not only are you going to get the auto lobbies on it, I would bet (a small amount, I'm not to keen on gambling) money on the big tool companies like Snap-On and Matco and such to also start pushing hard for a no too. They sell some of their diagnostic scan tools for upwards of over $20,000, with the best part being that you still need to update the software on it yearly, which will also cost you thousands of dollars too.

EDIT: Words
Hey, I'm in the market for a new (but used, cuz I don't see the point in spending an extra 40-50% for the privelege of having a car that hasn't already been driven 15-30k miles) automobile. I'm waiting to research until I have more free time after a test in a couple of weeks, but I really just want a car that will cover my basic city driving needs economically and dependably, while being able to be taken on the occasional road trip as needed. I was thinking of a hatchback. What would you recommend, about that basic type of car and any specific models that'd be decent?

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Hey, I'm in the market for a new (but used, cuz I don't see the point in spending an extra 40-50% for the privelege of having a car that hasn't already been driven 15-30k miles) automobile. I'm waiting to research until I have more free time after a test in a couple of weeks, but I really just want a car that will cover my basic city driving needs economically and dependably, while being able to be taken on the occasional road trip as needed. I was thinking of a hatchback. What would you recommend, about that basic type of car and any specific models that'd be decent?
Sure, I might be able to help you there. The nice thing about cars these days is that everyone has pretty much figured out how to make cars now, so outside of a few lemons that make the news, a lot of modern cars are similar in reliability and such, so it comes down to how much it is, performance, and interior feel/quality. As far as type of vehicle, my last two cars have been hatchbacks (of the Ford variety; first a ruby red Focus and now a smaller orange Fiesta), and I've found them rather handy and practical. The big 3 Japanese automakers (Honda, Mazda, Toyota) all offer their small cars in a hatchback form, with various trim levels on them from hum drum to sporty (Civic, Corrola, and Mazda 3). If you want an American hatch, as I said, my current car is a Fiesta (with a manual, my first car and experience with one) and if you can get over it's smaller size than the previous ones I mentioned is actually a rather fun and nimble car to throw around although with its small engine, even with a turbo (which mine lacks) is not gonna impress V8s and such in a straight line. As far as European brands go my experience with them is more limited, outside of the anecdotal evidence of a guy who was in tech school with me whose wife drove a Mini Cooper that had problems.

Hope I was of some help, and good luck. Buying a car is gross and sucks the life out of you.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Sure, I might be able to help you there. The nice thing about cars these days is that everyone has pretty much figured out how to make cars now, so outside of a few lemons that make the news, a lot of modern cars are similar in reliability and such, so it comes down to how much it is, performance, and interior feel/quality. As far as type of vehicle, my last two cars have been hatchbacks (of the Ford variety; first a ruby red Focus and now a smaller orange Fiesta), and I've found them rather handy and practical. The big 3 Japanese automakers (Honda, Mazda, Toyota) all offer their small cars in a hatchback form, with various trim levels on them from hum drum to sporty (Civic, Corrola, and Mazda 3). If you want an American hatch, as I said, my current car is a Fiesta (with a manual, my first car and experience with one) and if you can get over it's smaller size than the previous ones I mentioned is actually a rather fun and nimble car to throw around although with its small engine, even with a turbo (which mine lacks) is not gonna impress V8s and such in a straight line. As far as European brands go my experience with them is more limited, outside of the anecdotal evidence of a guy who was in tech school with me whose wife drove a Mini Cooper that had problems.

Hope I was of some help, and good luck. Buying a car is gross and sucks the life out of you.
Personally I look for used cars that reviewers show can last for a long time where you are expecting to be able to get 200,000+ miles out of. Usually Toyotas and Hondas have a very long life span. I currently like my Mazda3 as well and I have also had a Nissan that lasted forever. I have lost my faith in many of my American cars over the years due to how much work I had to do on them while owning them vs the others. Constantly replacing parts on Dodge and Fords have left me not loving them anymore. Yes, the parts are less expensive and they generally were less expensive to work on but then that was then negated due to how frequently work was needed over the years in comparison to Japanese cars. My Dad raced prostock for Dodge for years so was partial to them for a while, but they left me irritated when it seemed to be one thing after another in the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: SupahEwok

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Toyota and Hondas are usually the longest lasting if you are looking for longevity and durability.
I would look through the "cars that last the longest lists" they put out for the years you are looking for and thoroughly go through the reviews on your finalists to get a better idea of what you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: SupahEwok

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Ah yes, the time of the iCar has come
You're more right than you know actually. BMW (I believe, may also be Mercedes too) are actually trying to make it so you can't even physically open the hood of your car without one of those scan tools mentioned in the article, meaning for things as simple as refilling wiper washer fluid means taking it to a mechanic with the proper tool to open it for you.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

Oh yeah, my dad owned a Mini Cooper. Do not buy a Mini Cooper.

The car drove great, it was really nimble and fun to drive, and the build quality felt really solid. The repairs also weren't too frequent, but when you had to get one, oh boy.

The problem is that the car is designed in an incredibly stupid way. The last repair that my dad's Mini Cooper had needed was replacing a coolant hose. On most cars that's a pretty simple fix right? On the Mini Cooper it required disassembly of the entire engine and would have cost over $3000 to do it. My dad decided "fuck that" and sold the car shortly afterward.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
In an attempt to monopolize car repairs and put most mechanics out of work and end generations of people being able to repair their own cars,
To be fair, it would not put people out of work, because notionally the same amount of car repairing would be necessary requiring the same amount of workers. What it would do, by killing independent garages or forcing them to pay for licences to operate as approved repairers, is to move car repairs profits from independent garage owners to manufacturers. By impeding people repairing their own cars, it would probably in fact create jobs.

It's thus mostly bad for independent garage owners, and consumers. Mostly consumers who can repair their own cars, but also potentially all because there is a risk of monopolistic power over car repairs: even if garages can keep their independence by acquiring a licence to be an approved repairer, it's likely to cost them, and the cost will be passed to customers.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
To be fair, it would not put people out of work, because notionally the same amount of car repairing would be necessary requiring the same amount of workers. What it would do, by killing independent garages or forcing them to pay for licences to operate as approved repairers, is to move car repairs profits from independent garage owners to manufacturers. By impeding people repairing their own cars, it would probably in fact create jobs.

It's thus mostly bad for independent garage owners, and consumers. Mostly consumers who can repair their own cars, but also potentially all because there is a risk of monopolistic power over car repairs: even if garages can keep their independence by acquiring a licence to be an approved repairer, it's likely to cost them, and the cost will be passed to customers.
It would definitely put mechanics out of work, for example, my one brother who repairs cars in my parents garage and barn would no longer be able to do so. Many mechanics that work in shops also do " side jobs" and repair cars outside of the shop as well for a reduced rate just to be able to make ends meet. Only being able to repair your car at dealerships means they will only hire a certain number of mechanics regardless. A lot of mechanics cannot get a job at a dealership because they have criminal records, haven't updated their certification or are " apprentices " without an actual certification, the way they used to do it. My dad trained hundreds of mechanics during his racing days who were not certified, but were still able to get jobs at independent shops. Most of my brothers are certified, but my one brother who is dyslexic is unable to get his certification due to that. He is still a great mechanic however and has been able to find things instantly wrong with my car that my other brothers and the many shops I have taken it to were not. People doing side work is the only way the poor can get their cars repaired at all, and removing that removes their ability to do so.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

The biggest issue as I see it is that it would effectively put control of our means of transportation in the hands of giant companies and, ostensibly, the government since it will be the laws of the government that enforce this.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Oh yeah, my dad owned a Mini Cooper. Do not buy a Mini Cooper.

The car drove great, it was really nimble and fun to drive, and the build quality felt really solid. The repairs also weren't too frequent, but when you had to get one, oh boy.

The problem is that the car is designed in an incredibly stupid way. The last repair that my dad's Mini Cooper had needed was replacing a coolant hose. On most cars that's a pretty simple fix right? On the Mini Cooper it required disassembly of the entire engine and would have cost over $3000 to do it. My dad decided "fuck that" and sold the car shortly afterward.
That is the problem with a lot of the newer cars is how ridiculous it is to get to whatever needs to be repaired. They make you drop the engine just to be able to do otherwise simple repairs running up the labor costs. To avoid some of the labor costs they call one of my brothers " plastic man" at the shop because he is the only one that can even reach to be able to make some of the repairs needed on cars there. Sadly, it isn't uncommon for the repairs to cost more than the car is worth when they really shouldn't.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
@lil devils x
What is, your job Lil? (Assuming talking about it isn't giving too much personal information)
My degrees are in Pediatric Medicine and Immunology, I am currently working remotely screening and treating patients via telehealth due to my health conditions making it difficult to work in person at the Pediatrics Clinic. Prior to becoming ill, I primarily ran a local Pediatrics Clinic, and volunteered for a nearby free Clinic and did my rounds to maintain my hospital privileges. Now, having a compromised immune system, that is no longer feasible so I am doing telehealth while transitioning to research.

My knowledge of cars though comes from my family. My Father designed, raced and built prostock cars as his hobby and was sort of a local celebrity on the racing circuit and was in tons of racing magazines. I grew up around racing and all my brothers are mechanics .. when I was a kid, my Dad had me tearing down and rebuilding carburetors as toys and now they don't even use those anymore ... he tore down and rebuilt so many transmissions in the dining room while I was growing up and was always boring heads in the garage. So it is pretty much like Mona Lisa on " My Cousin VInny" : "My father was a mechanic, my 4 brothers were a mechanic, My 3 uncles were mechanics, my 6 cousins were mechanics".. LOL

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
My degrees are in Pediatric Medicine and Immunology, I am currently working remotely screening and treating patients via telehealth due to my health conditions making it difficult to work in person at the Pediatrics Clinic. Prior to becoming ill, I primarily ran a local Pediatrics Clinic, and volunteered for a nearby free Clinic and did my rounds to maintain my hospital privileges. Now, having a compromised immune system, that is no longer feasible so I am doing telehealth while transitioning to research.

My knowledge of cars though comes from my family. My Father designed, raced and built prostock cars as his hobby and was sort of a local celebrity on the racing circuit and was in tons of racing magazines. I grew up around racing and all my brothers are mechanics .. when I was a kid, my Dad had me tearing down and rebuilding carburetors as toys and now they don't even use those anymore ... he tore down and rebuilt so many transmissions in the dining room while I was growing up and was always boring heads in the garage. So it is pretty much like Mona Lisa on " My Cousin VInny" : "My father was a mechanic, my 4 brothers were a mechanic, My 3 uncles were mechanics, my 6 cousins were mechanics".. LOL
I see. I guess you decided to also become a mechanic but for people. And how are you doing in terms of health now? You said you thought you were going to have to have another surgery? Or are you recovering enough that you don't think you need to do that now?