Autosave screwjobs

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
usa
Just playing Halo 5 in the section where you fight the three bosses. Well it autosaves every time you drop one of the bosses. Good in theory but for me it saved it right after I dropped one and I'm in a corner shield down and the other two have my exits pretty much blocked. My shotty was out of ammo my lightrifle needed reloading so I ended up reloading about 20 times until I got the angle to boost past them without getting hit by their aoe melee attack.

The other one I remember is HL2 xbox edition i fired a grenade into a the edge of a door boom 5% hp and then seeing the saving icon pop up.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Argentina
Any exploration-based game that locks you past a point of no return (such as The Last of Us) needs to get its shit straight.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
I played Fallout 3 and was getting my arse kicked by some dude in power armor at the beginning of some bunker. Being the courageous and noble man that I am, I of course ran away like a little girl. He shot me in the arse repeatedly but I managed to get out the door with just a touch of health left. Take THAT metal man!

Shit! He followed me! I didn't know he could do that! Wait...the game auto-saves whenever you go through doors?

...whoops

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Twice when I was playing Stalker.. They were actually quick saves, but eh.. Close enough.

I hadn't done a manual save in a good while. I cleared an area and quicksaved. Died not long afte. I quickloaded, and suddenly I'm stuck half inside some pipes that were next to me. No matter how many times I reloaded I was stuck. I obviously wasn't when I saved it. Had to go back a fair bit and do it over as a result.

Later on in Stalker: Clear Sky I was infiltrating an area to steal something for a mission. Sneaking in that game it hard enough as it is, with enemies having super senses.. I get really close to where I need to be so I save it. Grab it and moments later my cover is blown as I try to leave and the entire base closes in on me and just wrecks me. Well apparently when you load a game a sound is emitted by your character or some other such nonsense because I hear every NPC within a hundred meters (basically the whole base) all yelling at the same time like they saw me and just rush me and own me again. Over and over. I was determined to get out alive, and with the quickload screwing me I can't even remember how many tries and shouted profanities it took but I finally managed to kill everyone and get out. Didn't help I was playing on the hardest difficulty of an already hard game. Very aggravating, but the satisfaction for finally pulling it off was spectacular.

I learned not to trust Quick saves/loads and I now make manual saves much more frequently in any game I play.

As far as actual autosaves, I can't remember what game it was but I do remember it autosaving me at a point where I had just barely slipped over an edge and I would just keep falling to my doom over and over.

Jmp_man

Apr 24, 2011
MarsAtlas said:
At this point I consider any game with mission areas that doesn't have an autosave at the beginning that doesn't get overwritten until at least the next mission to be a failure. We have big open-world games without level select where you go from one distraction to another with few reminders to save its easy to die and get set back hours. Alternatively, bugs are going to occur and you should be able to reload the area in case you come across one that is damaging enough.
I agree, it might not be elegant but the game should keep at least 3 autosave files. My idea is like this:
Autosave1 is designated as the save for entering and exiting a map.
Autosave2 is designated as the save for entering and exiting an specific area in the map.
Autosave3 is designated as the save for "checkpoints" (such as a halfway point for a boss fight or puzzle)

That way the player has a multitude of options to choose from encase they wind up in an unwinnable scenario.

mfkelly

Sep 11, 2015
In Condemned 2: Bloodshot(it has been several years now since it happened, so I am sketchy on the details), I was going through the mission in the lodge, and somehow an autosave kicked off right after I had thrown one of the bombs that you have to remove right at the end of the mission. Something went sideways, and I was instakilled by the bomb. Reload autosave - immediately died. Had to start the entire section over. I was a decidedly unhappy camper.

popa_qwerty

Dec 21, 2010
It happen in fallout 3 and Oblivion.
Fallout I was chased out of the Building a really nasty super mutant with a chain gun all i had to do was get far enough from him to quick travel. As I exited the building I was welcomed by a group of raiders who preceded to unload a round in to my players head.

Oblivion I was a vampire when I chose to wait for a few hours but ended up waiting too long and died because sun damage.

Sep 14, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Any exploration-based game that locks you past a point of no return (such as The Last of Us) needs to get its shit straight.
what bugs me the most about this is that the main path is not always so obvious, so when you're presented with 3 doors/doorways, by dumb fucking luck I always seem to pick the one that is the main questline, and I lose out on potential extras/achievements/loot/etc..

very frustrating, and I don't want to stop the fucking game and go look up a walkthrough everytime I get to a bloody fork.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Argentina
gmaverick019 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
what bugs me the most about this is that the main path is not always so obvious, so when you're presented with 3 doors/doorways, by dumb fucking luck I always seem to pick the one that is the main questline, and I lose out on potential extras/achievements/loot/etc..

very frustrating, and I don't want to stop the fucking game and go look up a walkthrough everytime I get to a bloody fork.
It happened to me at the dam, I went in before checking the shed outside. I tried reloading and it would spawn me inside the dam. I ended loading the whole chapter again from the main menu and creating a new save file just in case. I don't know if that's gonna fuck my article/pendant/comic/shiv door count? Like, rather than clicking Continue simply going to Chapter Select. Anyway, it annoyed me then and now I'm annoyed I may be a Dead Man Walking.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
The Halo series has always had issues with auto-saves. One particularly egregious example of the system screwing me over was when I was playing through "The Ark" in Halo 3 on Legendary.

The game decided to auto-save on me immediately after a bunch of Brutes demolished the vehicle I was driving. I was in the middle of a crater with no cover, one quarter shields and no heavy weapons. There was a crashed Pelican nearby with a rocket launcher, but I had to run a gauntlet of Brute Choppers and Prowlers all trying to shoot me and/or run me over. Even if I got my hands on the launcher I only had a split second to aim and shoot before I became someone's hood ornament...and that would only take out one vehicle before I had to reload. It must have taken me at least thirty tries before a screw-up with the enemy AI finally gave me the opening I needed (two of the Brute vehicles ran into each other and became entangled, allowing just enough time for me to destroy them both and hijack a third).

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
It's happened more times than I can remember. Mainly in games that just go on checkpoints. I really just wish they'd give a clearer indication - if you use this item/switch, if you step over this line, A CUTSCENE WILL START AND THERE'S NO TURNING BACK.

Like, what if it's a boss fight and I wanted to go over and arrange my inventory? Take some buffs/potions, or just heal because I'm on brink of death? What if there's a path branching off that I haven't explored yet? What if I'm going for an unlock/trophy and I need to find ONE LAST ITEM, and now you just made me do it all over again?

Any of the above scenarios just annoy the shit out of me, especially because I don't do multiple playthroughs very often, and if so, usually years later.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
In Metro 2033 one of the surface levels has multiple paths but the exit isn't marked and it doesn't ask you if you want to leave. It's just a set of stairs that looks like any other set of stairs. So naturally I ended up getting transported to the next area when I wasn't finished exploring yet and since the game checkpoints if that happens you're screwed. I hate games that do this, if you're going to have point of no return please either make the exit obvious or have a pop up confirming you actually want to leave.

Fallout 3 I got lax with my manual saves and tried to walk to rivet city right at the start. I got attacked by minigun wielding super mutants without even having enough ammo to kill them so I ducked into the near by sewer (triggering an auto save) and got mobbed by a shit-ton of ghouls (I think I was using a mod that diversified and increased their numbers). My last manual save was several hours ago.

In Dead Island when you die you lose some cash and then spawn somewhere nearby, sometimes very nearby...as in right next to whatever killed you. To make matters worse you don't get resources back and your equipment isn't repaired. I ended up in loop of constant death due to one of the boss infected surrounded by regular infected.

Sir Pootis

Aug 4, 2012
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. It starts when I noticed a guy on a walker gear glitched into a wall, and completely immobile. I found it mildly amusing, but thought nothing of it, and went onward. However, the game checkpointed me right in front of the walker, and when I died and continued, the guy was not only no longer stuck in the wall, but staring straight at me. The only way to avoid an alert was to hit him with the blast from my grenade launcher, which also resulted in me attracting the attention of any nearby enemies, making getting out of there sneakily harder that it should have reasonably been.